Dell Laptop showroom buying confusions help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

dishwara

Broken In
hi,
Thanks for reading this.
I have decided to buy a Dell Studio XPS 16 (S540510IN8) for gaming.
Do it have 5.1 surround sound?
It says integrated stereo speaker with surround & also says 5.1 surround output.
But in connectors list it says 2 headphone & 1 micro phone.
Do this has 5.1 (6 channel output) or not?

*configure.ap.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=in&cs=indhs1&fb=1&l=en&oc=S540510IN8&s=dhs

The dell india onsite price is 67,900 Rs without tax.
Taxes are 12.36 % tax + 4 % VAT
& Rs 900 for delivery charges.

I am in Trichy, Tamilnadu.
Here a guy has a DELL SHOWROOM & he says i can get the system from him for Rs 67,900 + 4 % VAT & also some discounts.
ie, i can save 12.36 % TAX + 900 Rs Delivery charges.
He seems a genuine person.
Also says i will get the after sales support from dell.
Is that correct?
If it correct means why the online site adds 12.36 % extra tax.
Are buying by online means have to pay more?
please tell your valuable comments.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Do it have 5.1 surround sound?
It says integrated stereo speaker with surround & also says 5.1 surround output.
But in connectors list it says 2 headphone & 1 micro phone.
Do this has 5.1 (6 channel output) or not?

It means that the native laptop speakers are stereo and you have an option of connecting external 5.1 speakers. The native speakers are not 5.1.

Don't go by all this 5.1 and surround nonsense. All laptops have mediocre sound at best. If you want good quality sound pair it with decent headphones or external speakers.

OP
D

dishwara

Broken In
I can understand it has stereo speakers.
But the doubt is whether it has 5.1 output or not.
The dell phone guy said, if 5.1 output needed then i have to go for desktop, as laptop don't have 5.1 output.

Please some one answer about showroom problem........

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
for 5.1 channel u will need extra audio ports also I think so it will be 2.1 or 4.1 channel only I think

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@Dishwara, I don't think it has 5.1 output. Get Creative USB soundcard for some 2k and it should be good for 5.1 speaker setup.

Also, call Dell sales hotline and enquire about current price including taxes and vat. i would buy only from Dell (though it costs more) if I were you.

acewin

Point Blanc
I think they also give some sound card option u can check if they are 5.1 channel or not. Otherwise what desibond said would be best suited or u.

OP
D

dishwara

Broken In
I was contacted by dell sales person. she confirmed i can connect 5.1 speaker to my laptop. so the laptop has 5.1 surround sound.

Also i was by dell, the total price including all the taxes & charges is
68,798 Rs. They r ready to give discount of 12.36 % tax + 4 % VAT.

I also asked how can a dealer can give less than that price?
They said they may be doing some fraud, but when i asked why u not register a complaint of brand name abusing, they didn't answer & just cut the phone.

what u guys think about it?
Is the way dell do customer service?
Please give ur valuable comments.

It seems If u knock, the door will surely open.

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
well sure u can use 5.1 on 2.1 ports but thats not true 5.1 surrond sound, you will get only two sided sound.

people can give in lower than that because they order in bulk from Dell and sell in retail, its not a big deal. But the customer service saying such thing is bad, and certainly does not knows how Dell acts LOL

OP
D

dishwara

Broken In
@desibond, i searched ebay for Creative USB 5.1 sound card. But can't able to find one.
Now the DELL sales person is ready to discount the 12.36 % + 4% VAT.

OP
D

dishwara

Broken In
@desibond, i searched ebay for Creative USB 5.1 sound card. But can't able to find one.
Now the DELL sales person is ready to discount the 12.36 % + 4% VAT.

acewin

Point Blanc
nice deal, u can clear the deal with Dell if u wish to.
desi is talking of products something like this *www.theitdepot.com/details-C18P4299.html, but this one is quiet expensive
rest I checked lynx site too for creative cards they too are priced above 3K*www.lynx-india.com/index.php?categoryID=2684

OP
D

dishwara

Broken In
ya, i decided to go for the creative USB Sound Blaster X-Fi Surround 5.1 sound card.
But searching for online sites in india for low price.
If u find one let me know.
Also 5.1 headphones if u know
Thanks.

Last edited:
OP
D

dishwara

Broken In
Problem again, the usb sound card has driver problem with vista.
*reviews.cnet.com/sound-cards/creative-labs-sound-blaster/4505-9334_7-33314797.html

It is Dell who have to sell the breakout box.
Before even i buy DELL, it begins to start sucking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom