Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

josin

In the zone
after ordering, some one from dell will call you to help you make the payment.do as he says. i paid the money on 14/6/12 now my status is "in transit". usually you will get your order number within 2 to 3 days, and after receving your order number you can check your status online.It takes at least 10 to 14 days to get your product from dell.:-D

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
According to Dell India reps, the website should be updated with new xps lineup by today, if not within the end of the month.
but they said it would come with a premium tag. new design and premium chassis.

har

In the zone
3dmark vantage and 3dmark11 benchmarks of 7730m out on notebookcheck.

So GT640m is indeed better than 7730m. But actual benchmarks of games not shown so cant comment on that.

3DMark Vantage:

GT640m-7416.7
7730m-7110

Not a lot of difference :|

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
3dmark vantage and 3dmark11 benchmarks of 7730m out on notebookcheck.

So GT640m is indeed better than 7730m. But actual benchmarks of games not shown so cant comment on that.

3DMark Vantage:

GT640m-7416.7
7730m-7110

Not a lot of difference :|

Not much difference but I think heating would be more in 14" model coz it is more compactly built.

Acoustichead

Broken In
Go on brother, buy it asap! I have been in hp dv6 thread from months and see many users upgraded from 4GB to 8GB like me, and not a single person get any kind of issue. Before running laptop for the first time plug an extra 4 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz RAM, forget it and live in the gaming paradise. :mrgreen:

@rider...Would there be an issue if i plug in the RAM after some period of time...say after a month or so of usage....coz i plan to buy the extra 4 GB RAM after 1 month of buying & using the laptop...so need your help on this?

raj_55555

Journeyman
@rider...Would there be an issue if i plug in the RAM after some period of time...say after a month or so of usage....coz i plan to buy the extra 4 GB RAM after 1 month of buying & using the laptop...so need your help on this?
No, there shouldn't be any such issues. Just make sure the RAM modules are compatible.

Guys, my sales representative is not replying to my e-mails. If she doesn't reply in the next half-hour, the order will be postponed by another day :(

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos

No, as far as i know. I saw many hp dv6 users who upgraded 4 GB to 8GB last year and non of them faced any issue. Buy an extra 4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz.
Keep in mind RAM should be of 1600MHz.

n64freak

Broken In
Can anyone help me out here? I have a few questions.

What would be the payment options if I were to order the laptop from Dell site?

How long does it generally take for order to arrive from dell?

The SE series and the new VIAO are beginning to show up on Flipkart site as coming soon. Would it make sense to just wait it out on flipkart since I am accustomed to it(I have already made a few purchases from their site)?

1) Payment, you can do it using credit card, account transfer, NEFT, cheque and demand draft, but the last two may take time to process. Best would be NEFT, I guess.

2) It's kinda model specific, the Inspiron 15 R SE arrived within 10 days ? (@sisley)

3) I personally feel going ahead and ordering now from the site is better, as anyway with Flipkart, the prices should be roughly the same, and they shouldn't be able to get their hands on the laptops before Dell themselves are :|

Anyway, on a side note, I'm going ahead with the 17R SE and ordering it today, after the discount and all it comes to 64k, so cheers :-D Hopefully someone in the forum joins me in buying this :razz:

har

In the zone
Guys what do you think of envy 4--intel 3317U core i5+4GB+2GB Radeon 7670m+500GB+32GB ssd cache+3 years warranty at 54000 Rs ??
Its for my friend. He is not interested in the inspirons as he only plays games at low settings and so would like something lighter. And the envy 4 boots up in just 17seconds according to owners. So should I suggest him to go ahead or wait for inspiron 14z ?

raj_55555

Journeyman
No, as far as i know. I saw many hp dv6 users who upgraded 4 GB to 8GB last year and non of them faced any issue. Buy an extra 4 GB DDR3 1600Mhz.
Keep in mind RAM should be of 1600MHz.
Isn't latency important? I think the latency needs to be matched too, for the best performance.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Isn't latency important? I think the latency needs to be matched too, for the best performance.

Dunno, I just plugged an extra RAM, before using it first and the performance is incredible. Not much deep in that nobody talked about latency issue in dv6 thread, everything is running fine.

Check my CPU-Z Memory info, is everything fine?

*img267.imageshack.us/img267/1895/fefe.png

I plugged 8 GB (4+4+0+0) DDR3 1333Mhz RAM

warfreak

Talk to the hand!!!
1) Payment, you can do it using credit card, account transfer, NEFT, cheque and demand draft, but the last two may take time to process. Best would be NEFT, I guess.

2) It's kinda model specific, the Inspiron 15 R SE arrived within 10 days ? (@sisley)

3) I personally feel going ahead and ordering now from the site is better, as anyway with Flipkart, the prices should be roughly the same, and they shouldn't be able to get their hands on the laptops before Dell themselves are :|

Anyway, on a side note, I'm going ahead with the 17R SE and ordering it today, after the discount and all it comes to 64k, so cheers :-D Hopefully someone in the forum joins me in buying this :razz:

Thanks! I am planning to buy the 17R myself :mrgreen:

Guys what do you think of envy 4--intel 3317U core i5+4GB+2GB Radeon 7670m+500GB+32GB ssd cache+3 years warranty at 54000 Rs ??
Its for my friend. He is not interested in the inspirons as he only plays games at low settings and so would like something lighter. And the envy 4 boots up in just 17seconds according to owners. So should I suggest him to go ahead or wait for inspiron 14z ?

7670M is an entry level GPU. Most 2011-12 games should run on Medium/Low settings AFAIK.

raj_55555

Journeyman
It will work, but I've read in many places that it hampers performance. In most cases I think the mother board slows down the faster module to match the slower one (with higher CAS latency).
from the screenshot it can't be told, as it's showing the collective CAS IMO. the CAS "should be" visible on the body of the RAM. you may check that for once.

n64freak

Broken In
Does the 17r 63k version has backlit keyboard? Can see it in the specs and can't customize either.

Nope, that's one thing crummy about it. Though I don't see it being a problem, I'm buying a keyboard anyway, and I'll squeeze in LED's along it's side or something. And just read, the MacBook pro, with Retina display, has the same Graphics card O_O

Dell says 3-4 weeks for delivery :-?

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
It will work, but I've read in many places that it hampers performance. In most cases I think the mother board slows down the faster module to match the slower one (with higher CAS latency).
from the screenshot it can't be told, as it's showing the collective CAS IMO. the CAS "should be" visible on the body of the RAM. you may check that for once.

Now check details of both of my RAMs, and tell.

*img24.imageshack.us/img24/4504/ramhs.png

Nope, that's one thing crummy about it. Though I don't see it being a problem, I'm buying a keyboard anyway, and I'll squeeze in LED's along it's side or something. And just read, the MacBook pro, with Retina display, has the same Graphics card O_O

Dell says 3-4 weeks for delivery :-?

Yes, the new 2012 macbook pro has GT 650M, last year macbook pro higher models are with my HD 6770M. :mrgreen:
Overall performance of apple would be better than hp, dell laptops in real life, that's why its priced twice.

Last edited:

raj_55555

Journeyman
In your case, the first module(kingston) is faster than the second one. I think you would have got better performance if you had the same module in the other one.

I am not saying it would be noticeable though, as I don't have any hands on experience with that. But it does matter.

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
In your case, the first module(kingston) is faster than the second one. I think you would have got better performance if you had the same module in the other one.

I am not saying it would be noticeable though, as I don't have any hands on experience with that. But it does matter.

How to fix it in same module? :|

The real life performance is more than satisfactory, it hardly consumes 6 GB out of 8 GB in intense applications/games use.

raj_55555

Journeyman
How to fix it in same module? :|

The real life performance is more than satisfactory, it hardly consumes 6 GB out of 8 GB in intense applications/games use.
I think the lower RAM can be overclocked, but if you have been using this for a while and faced no issues I don't see why you should even bother.
But for those who intend to upgrade later on should keep this in mind.

That is one of the reasons why me and girishpaiv are planning to have the RAM upgrade from Dell as RAM with 11-11-11-28 latency is not available elsewhere.

___EDIT___
for those interested, it's now available on ebay with the i5 model. Unfortunately no i7 :(

Last edited:

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not much to worry. Edit: Infact, nothing to worry. We're only talking about ~2% performance differences when we deal with RAMs.

Negligible difference in real world performance. The difference will only be visible in synthetic memory benchmarks.

What raj_5555 is saying is a pointer if you ever "upgrade" RAM in future. :)

Top Bottom