Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

sisley

Broken In
Sisley, one more request. :)

Is it possible for you to run the wPrime benchmark, which I think will give an idea of how much the temperature goes to, when all 4 cores are being used at max level, without the GPU. This is not useful for gaming as such, so maybe you and others don't care as much, but it would help me a lot.

I wanted to compare with some numbers that have been reported elsewhere:
HTWingNut's Sager NP6110 / Clevo W110ER First Look & Review - Page 25

The Clevo used there is a very, very different laptop: 11" and GT 650M, so I'm hoping the Inspiron SE would do much better.

Thanks!

ok.......i have performed both tests of wPrime(thread count as default 8) with following specs:
*i49.tinypic.com/21mb7s9.jpg

Here r results:
wPrime 32M benchmark: 10.503sec
wPrime 1024M benchmark: 315.908sec

u can also check results links below:
32M benchmark | wPrime
1024M benchmark | wPrime

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
Laptop ram is different from desktop ram. but yes you can specifically buy laptop ram for about 1.5k max(4gb). you can fit it yourself if you know what you are doing or you can get it fitted at a service centre.

sisley

Broken In
and corresponding temp readings r:
For 32M
*i49.tinypic.com/34qmpok.jpg

For 1024M
*i49.tinypic.com/fvzl2d.jpg

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
^ Finally your hdd touched 45 degrees :D Thats good to see :)

Btw @ratul Was just going through your link. dell customer reviews for june 2012. That is some serious negative feedback @_@ Not one or two,but every guy rated them at 1/5 :O That is shocking to say the least.

sisley

Broken In
^ Finally your hdd touched 45 degrees :D Thats good to see :)

Btw @ratul Was just going through your link. dell customer reviews for june 2012. That is some serious negative feedback @_@ Not one or two,but every guy rated them at 1/5 :O That is shocking to say the least.

online order process is pathetic that i know.....they deliver in minimum 2 weeks and sometimes a month.........that's why i ordered it directly via dell exclusive store(delivery in 7-8 days).......that kind of long delivery and manufacturing process makes people tick and they see other brands like HP,Apple,Sony etc laptops being delivered as soon u give them money as they maintain stock.....i couldnt wait for even a week for dell delivery:wink:( i wanted to cancel the order and buy Macbook pro) but when it finally arrived it was worth it

If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent -Isaac Newton

girishpaiv

Journeyman
Yeeey I ordered 15r SE with 4GB today...:razz: :cool:

Ordered online via dell exclusive store with backlit .
Total of Rs.59744:-o

He said expect delivery in 15 bussiness days!!!! :(

He gave me 1 week to decide on extended warranty...hav to decide on this...

Also need to buy 4gb 1600Mhz ram or should let the dell store add it once the lap arrives??which is safe , like- is there a chance they place some old used ram in it instead of a new one?:-?

Last edited:

sisley

Broken In
Yeeey I ordered 15r SE with 4GB today...:razz: :cool:

Ordered online via dell exclusive store with backlit .
Total of Rs.59744:-o

He said expect delivery in 15 bussiness days!!!! :(

He gave me 1 week to decide on extended warranty...hav to decide on this...

Also need to buy 4gb 1600Mhz ram or should let the dell store add it once the lap arrives??which is safe , like- is there a chance they place some old used ram in it instead of a new one?:-?

phew....that's long wait.......15 bussiness days............that means 3 weeks as sat,sun r non-working for dell....u need to decide on warranty otherwise dell will cancel ur order....trust me....have u recieved ur order acknowledgement on mail??????

Anyway in my experience buy and put RAM yourself if u know how to do it.......otherwise u can learn that on youtube:wink:

Jripper

Pro/An---tagonist xD
"If I have ever made any valuable discoveries, it has been owing more to patient attention, than to any other talent -Isaac Newton"

^ This. Is so very true :)

raj_55555

Journeyman
@girishpaiv and sisley
You both are the owners of 15R SE right? Could you please enlighten me whether you had to order the adapter(laptop charger) separately or was it bundled with the pack?

vickm

Right off the assembly line
and corresponding temp readings r:
For 32M

For 1024M

Many thanks! Its nice that the 32M temps look better in the SE than the Clevo, as I had hoped. The temps for the 1024M are high, but I guess that has to be expected. One way to manage that may be to use 2-3 cores at a time instead of all 4 for heavy-CPU work. Its nice to know the upper limit.

Thanks again. You are awesome! :)

Hi All,

I have been following this thread for quite sometime now. I have decided to buy the Inspiron 15R SE series. I have shortlisted two models however, I am in a dilemma as to which one to go for.

Model 1

Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3612QM Processor (6MB cache, up to 3.1 GHz)
Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (English)
Display 15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) - ICC
Memory3 4GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Hard Drive 1.0TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Video Card AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M DDR3 2GB - ICC
Optical Drive 12.7" SATA Tray Load DVD+/-RW

Model 2:

Processor 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i5-3210M Processor (3MB cache, up to 2.9 GHz)
Operating System Windows® 7 Home Premium SP1 64bit (English)
Display 15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) - ICC
Memory3 6GB3 DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz
Hard Drive 1.0TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Video Card AMD Radeon™ HD 7730M DDR3 2GB - ICC
Optical Drive 12.7" Tray Load Blu-ray (BD) Combo Drive (BD Read Only)

I would be mostly into gaming. Games like Max Payne 3, GTA 4, BF3,etc which are graphically intensive games.

Model 2 has 6 GB RAM which cannot be upgraded further (confirmed by dell representative).

Model 1 has 4 GB RAM which can upgraded later on. However due to budget constraints I will be able to upgrade it only after a 1-2 months. Would I be able to play above mentioned games on this model??? Also, can someone guide me how to upgrade the RAM of a laptop?

P.S.: I am a newbie & this is gonna be my first laptop :lol: Sorry for any "stupid" questions...I hope you masters can help me out. Cheers!

So, this is not a stupid question.
And , i will suggest that you should buy the i7 version, because you stated that you will be playing games like max payne 3 and BF3.
And for thwm , well, they will work like charm on i5, but after playing quite a while, the game will start stucking a bit. i dont mean any long stuck or less FPS.i meant 'Tuck Tuck Wala'' Stuck. U playing mp3, suddenly it stops for some miliseconds and resumes to normal, thats what i amt talking about.

Also, the second reason i will state that u will be futueproof, u will not need to upgrade to any more high end processor (LEAST)2 to 5(MAX) 5 years from now..
Well, hope u buy the i7.
:)

Hi rider Thanks a lot!...I got a few more questions. Is laptop Ram different from a desktop RAM. I mean not functionality wise (dat wud be dumb of me :razz:), but in structure, design?...and would I be able to purchase and install on my own from say Lamington Road at Mumbai? or do i have to contact Dell support to do it?...

If I could do it on my own can you guide me as to how to do it?...

Like i said im a newbie :lol::lol:

Well, if u are too noobe, then i will suggest you take your laptop to a local shoppe which u can trust..
Show them your laptop, and ask'' Bhaiya yaar iski ram dikhado 4gb'' :cool:
And ask him to install it,if he refuse, take it to any other shop and ask him to install it. if u end up without ram, i suggest you ask dell to install your ram..
:-D

Top Bottom