Dell Inspiron 14R/15R/17R Turbo Laptop Thread

vickm

Right off the assembly line
Sorry, another newbie question.. any thoughts on how the 14R SE compares with the Sony SVE14A16FN

SVE14A16FN : E Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

Really like the better resolution and option to upgrade to higher RAM. Same CPU, weaker GPU so temp ratings may be similar. Any ideas for Sony discounts? :)

har

In the zone
@sisley--Oh man.....this laptop rocks :-D Very very good temp readings and awesome FRAPS !! :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

sisley

Broken In
There is some great information on the new Dell 15R SE on this thread. Thanks to Sisley for the performance information.

I am trying to find out if the Dell 15R SE supports 16GB RAM. Dell will allow only upto 8GB total when buying the SE, but the processor 3612QM allows upto 32GB. So, I'm not sure if its just an artificial constraint by Dell. I want to have the option of upgrading to 16GB after buying. The HP DV6-7040TX which has the 3610QM supports upto 16GB, so it may be possible in the Dell too, which I prefer over the HP due to better graphics and cooler CPU.

Anyone know more about this? I could ask Dell support, but I'm not sure if I will get reliable information from them.
Thanks!

i doubt if this SE laptop will support more than 8 GB bcoz when i ordered this laptop from dell store i asked for max config. RAM and dell staff told me 8GB is max for INSPIRON and XPS in india....if i want 16 GB or more they told me to go for ALIENWARE.......anyway call at these numbers Technical Support Phone Number Listand look for INSPIRON premium support number and talk to their sales executive to clear ur doubt

I know this is the forum for the 14r/15r SE laptops, but I just wanted to ask a few questions not entirely related to dell:

1) Last year, I almost bought an HP DV6-6017tx (i7 2610, HD6770M 1GB ddr5). But I decided to skip a year. Now, I find that like last year, the US HP store offers lots of coupon-based discounts on their new DV6-7xxx series laptops, with improved IB processors, and graphics. They are offering the 630M (available in india), but more importantly, they also have the 650M (1GB and 2GB DDR5), at almost the same price as last year's DV6-6xxx series.

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC | HP Official Store

Any idea when will the 650M models come to India?

2) I have seen the DV6-6017tx personally, and I have also seen Dell's inspiron series (Last year's models). Dell's build quality is (or atleast was) a bit too plasticky and shoddy. It seemed very fragile and toy-like (especially the snap-on lid). HP's metallic finish and island-style keyboard seemed a lot better. Back then, inspirons were 10-15K lesser than the HP, so HP was relatively premium stuff. Now, with the special editions costing almost 60K, and the non-special ones starting at 35-40K, I wanted to know is the build quality just as bad? Spending 60K would warrant something better, right? I am a laptop newbie (been living on desktops my entire life), so is 60K justified for an inspiron?

Can anyone help me please?

Also, I just noticed that the Inspiron 17R SE is available on the Dell India website with the i5 3210M CPU and Nvidia 650M DDR5 graphics. My primary use will be gaming, so will jumping on a weaker CPU, but stronger GPU be advantageous?

sisley

Broken In
guys one of u PMed me to post idle temps for this laptop.Here it is:
*i47.tinypic.com/hwfzb6.jpg

funny thing is these core processors temp. go max to only 65 C even after 3 hrs of gaming at high settings. I have again rechecked temp readings from other software just in case after 3 hrs of gaming in MW3 as shown below:
*i50.tinypic.com/4l0svp.jpg

Can anyone help me please?

Also, I just noticed that the Inspiron 17R SE is available on the Dell India website with the i5 3210M CPU and Nvidia 650M DDR5 graphics. My primary use will be gaming, so will jumping on a weaker CPU, but stronger GPU be advantageous?

17R is definitely advantageous expecially in gaming due to its 650M and DDR5 RAM......650M gaming scores r gonna be much higher than AMD Radeon HD 7730M....take the eg of maxpayne 3 which i havent played yet but i think its gonna be sometimes laggy on 15R......17R is ideal for playing it.....I personally would feel more comfortable buying the best now i.e i7 and not needing it than needing it in the future and not having it. You can easily get more Ram, external disk space, etc. for your new computer in a year or two but you can't upgrade you cpu

girishpaiv

Journeyman
guys here comes 15R SE 2 hrs of gameplay performance benchmark for MW3 with high settings as follows:
[IMG:]*i49.tinypic.com/2ccxqps.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG:]*i46.tinypic.com/14aa4qe.jpg[/IMG]

FRAPS readings are as follows:
Avg: 29.833 - Min: 18 - Max: 45

and temps. of laptop continue to remain low:-D(was expected from 3rd gen) as u can seen below
[IMG:]*i48.tinypic.com/286qtzd.jpg[/IMG]:

next game tested gonna be Maxpayne 3:-D

Damn only 29.833?? :evil:
MW3 has 51fps with 640M with almost same settings acc to NBCheck
Temps are really making everyone happy :razz:
waiting for max payne :razz:

sisley

Broken In
How come the mobo is always at 28??

i dont know yet....i have used 3 different temp monitoring software and same readings everytime.....checking out if this is some bug or not

Damn only 29.833?? :evil:
MW3 has 51fps with 640M with almost same settings acc to NBCheck
Temps are really making everyone happy :razz:
waiting for max payne :razz:

ya but i used with all high video settings.....dont know abt settings of MW3 used by NBCheck......if u can check then get back to me

guys one of u PMed me to post idle temps for this laptop.Here it is:
*i47.tinypic.com/hwfzb6.jpg

funny thing is these core processors temp. go max to only 65 C even after 3 hrs of gaming at high settings. I have again rechecked temp readings from other software just in case after 3 hrs of gaming in MW3 as shown below:
*i50.tinypic.com/4l0svp.jpg

17R is definitely advantageous expecially in gaming due to its 650M and DDR5 RAM......650M gaming scores r gonna be much higher than AMD Radeon HD 7730M....take the eg of maxpayne 3 which i havent played yet but i think its gonna be sometimes laggy on 15R......17R is ideal for playing it.....I personally would feel more comfortable buying the best now i.e i7 and not needing it than needing it in the future and not having it. You can easily get more Ram, external disk space, etc. for your new computer in a year or two but you can't upgrade you cpu

I know I won't need an i7, not for gaming atleast. Plus, I plan to sell my laptop when games become unplayable on it (probably in about 2 years, so I don't need to future proof the CPU as such). My point is that is it worth spending 6K more than what you did for a machine with an i5 and a better GPU (FOR GAMING ONLY)?

Also, your temps are very, very cool!! Is any part of your laptop uncomfortable to touch (excess heat near the trackpad, palmrest, or even the chassis underneath)?

sisley

Broken In
I know I won't need an i7, not for gaming atleast. Plus, I plan to sell my laptop when games become unplayable on it (probably in about 2 years, so I don't need to future proof the CPU as such). My point is that is it worth spending 6K more than what you did for a machine with an i5 and a better GPU (FOR GAMING ONLY)?

Also, your temps are very, very cool!! Is any part of your laptop uncomfortable to touch (excess heat near the trackpad, palmrest, or even the chassis underneath)?

i think spending 6k is worth it for extreme gaming performance as later this year many high config requirement games will be released and GT650M will just play them all smoothly...if u r looking for current games then not need to switch 17R as u can see 15R performance here

currently i m playing GTA 4 And u wont believe it, my laptop is just as cool as when i m browsing........zero fan noise.....laptop doesnt get heated near trackpad palmrest or chassis otherwise i shld have felt as i use esc key a lot........only heat u will fell if u place ur hand directly in front of fan....i have played a lot of games on XPS and sony vaio laptop of my frnd and this laptop beats hands down everybody in terms of noise level and heat production

OP
rider

rider

as Kratos
Sorry, another newbie question.. any thoughts on how the 14R SE compares with the Sony SVE14A16FN

SVE14A16FN : E Series : VAIO Laptop & Computer : Sony India

Really like the better resolution and option to upgrade to higher RAM. Same CPU, weaker GPU so temp ratings may be similar. Any ideas for Sony discounts? :)

This laptop is very nice, unless you start gaming on it it because it comes with integrated HD 7670M which is a lower card suitable for medium gaming comes in dell inspiron 15R (44k model).
Viao laptops generally comes with low end or medium graphics with big price tags, so not suitable for gamers. Nowdays all laptops comes with switchable graphics so no heating in general use.
You can get 5% discount on this model.

Last edited:
i think spending 6k is worth it for extreme gaming performance as later this year many high config requirement games will be released and GT650M will just play them all smoothly...if u r looking for current games then not need to switch 17R as u can see 15R performance here

currently i m playing GTA 4 And u wont believe it, my laptop is just as cool as when i m browsing........zero fan noise.....laptop doesnt get heated near trackpad palmrest or chassis otherwise i shld have felt as i use esc key a lot........only heat u will fell if u place ur hand directly in front of fan....i have played a lot of games on XPS and sony vaio laptop of my frnd and this laptop beats hands down everybody in terms of noise level and heat production

Thanks for the advice. Congrats on your new super cooled comp!!

Just one ordinary laptop question: how is the build quality on the laptop? I read that the special editions come with aluminium inserts and an aluminium top cover. How does it hold up to say, the XPS? Also, how is the keyboard and trackpad, Is there any flex in the keyboard (does the entire keyboard feel like its sinking on typing)? And is the trackpad nice and smooth, or is it rough? Are the keys hard and noisy?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but these will go a long way in helping me (and other prospective buyers) go for the Inspiron.

vickm

Right off the assembly line
i doubt if this SE laptop will support more than 8 GB bcoz when i ordered this laptop from dell store i asked for max config. RAM and dell staff told me 8GB is max for INSPIRON and XPS in india....if i want 16 GB or more they told me to go for ALIENWARE.......anyway call at these numbers Technical Support Phone Number Listand look for INSPIRON premium support number and talk to their sales executive to clear ur doubt

Thanks, sisley. So close yet so far... I'll call them and see what they have to say.

This laptop is very nice, unless you start gaming on it it because it comes with integrated HD 7670M which is a lower card suitable for medium gaming comes in dell inspiron 15R (44k model).
Viao laptops generally comes with low end or medium graphics with big price tags, so not suitable for gamers. Nowdays all laptops comes with switchable graphics so no heating in general use.
You can get 5% discount on this model.

Don't know why that Sony link is broken: Sony Vaio SVE14A16FN price in India – New 14 inch E series laptop

Thanks rider, for your comments. I'm not much of a gamer. I'm looking for something which I can use for heavy duty computational work - max out all cores while maintaining a decent temperature. Which is why sisley's temperature stats of the 3612QM are getting me all excited. I might want a decent GPU for an external monitor or two, though. These two laptops are the only ones with the 3612QM, it looks like. HP 7040TX is also nice but it has 3610QM instead of the 3612QM. Sigh - difficult to decide...

antisocialbratt

Journeyman
I wish they had kept an option to upgrade the cpu to i7 in 17r se. That would have been perfect. Still i think I'll go with 17r se. For 6k I'll get better gaming performance and bigger screen. Win win... ;)

sisley

Broken In
Thanks for the advice. Congrats on your new super cooled comp!!

Just one ordinary laptop question: how is the build quality on the laptop? I read that the special editions come with aluminium inserts and an aluminium top cover. How does it hold up to say, the XPS? Also, how is the keyboard and trackpad, Is there any flex in the keyboard (does the entire keyboard feel like its sinking on typing)? And is the trackpad nice and smooth, or is it rough? Are the keys hard and noisy?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, but these will go a long way in helping me (and other prospective buyers) go for the Inspiron.

no problem...here's my review regarding exteriors of 15R SE

1.aluminium top cover is quite nice with black hexagonal design (also on the keyboard cover) but aluminium inserts/stripes at the edges r not so attractive but also not flaky

2.trackpad is quite nice with a smooth touch and keyboard keys r the best part.....not too hard nor too soft.......at just right level for me in case i do programming.......ur fingers will not get tired by typing as effort required is like minimal......u cannt get better than this:-D

one major drawback is it is a prints magnet as dirty and sticky fingers leave lot of impressions if not cleaned daily especially on top cover and touchpad

i hope i have answered ur questions......anyway guys i m going home for 2 days:-D......hope 2 c u on tuesday(no net at home:cry:).....i will give other games performance data then

I wish they had kept an option to upgrade the cpu to i7 in 17r se. That would have been perfect. Still i think I'll go with 17r se. For 6k I'll get better gaming performance and bigger screen. Win win... ;)

gud luck.....hoping to see u as first buyer of 17R SE in this forum:-D

Top Bottom