Decision between asus g56jr and y510p

Asus G56JR-Ask for a channel partner for getting it. Your average computer dealer might not be able to get it, but as of today, I have checked it and it is available and is in stock(again, you need to contact a dealer who is directly associated with distributor). The price is higher, at 82K with taxes. Now as for incoming Lenovo Y50, I will just continue:
Since you are are just concerned with gaming(I am more concerned with molecular simulation and all) :
GTX 760 < GTX 860(even Kepler version or Maxwell version), and that alone should deter you from buying Asus laptop.
Now, if that thing is sorted out, and you still want to buy Asus laptop(which I personally feel is superior), then this are the additional things you will get : An additional USB 3.0 port, it is a big thing, unless you want to carry a hub around. Better driver updates : As far as I know, Asus updates the non core drivers frequently, along with bios. Better audio system, Lenovo might have JBL speakers, but I have personally observed the 2.1 system in an Asus N series laptop with subwoofer, totally unmatched. And an IPS panel with 92% sRGB coverage(I am not sure about coverage, got the value from a translated review), which again is better than the TN panel on Y50. G56 does have another shortcoming, the Indian version is most probably sold with an Atheros WLAN adapter, which is, I guess 1x1 ?(Y50 ships with a 1x1 adapter too, but atleast it is an Intel one, and confirms to AC standards). The range of Atheros adapter is good, but it falls under "just O.K." category.
In the end, if you want a gaming laptop now, go for G56jr, it is much better than Y510P, or if you can wait, then look for Y50.

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
or wait for MSI.
Dynaudio speakers.
Steel series Keyboard.
Maxwell GPU.
Killer WLAN card.
BTW AC WLAN cards are useless in India unless one is studying in IIT or something. Normal cards are enough considering the network speed in India which is well :lol:

I am studying in an non IIT institute, and I still get around 10-20 mbps, and AC WLAN is just not about downloading, might as well benefit in sharing. And Steel series keyboard, sure is a pro, but then again, the keyboard of Lenovo or Asus offerings are not bad too. Dynaudio speakers are just matched with Sonicmaster premium setup(with a dedicated external subwoofer, they outperform them in lows.). Killer WLAN, it is 50:50, absolutely better than Atheros, but not better than Intel(Most of it is just marketing gimmick, get a good router for 5K and you are done with almost any WLAN with good range), and that is my personal observation from an Alienware machine. And MSI, I don't know how are they going to distribute the laptops, will, say for next 2 or three years, will not have a good service network, or atleast a network which suits Indian mindset, I mean, will MSI provide service in Tier two or three cities at launch ? I don't know(for example Rashi or Ingram micro might have that support, but I don't think MSI has teamed up with them.)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Killer WLAN cards are preferred for gaming due to their extremely low latency. But they don't have AC band. Intel AC 7260 Dual band card is pretty good for campuses but outside they are not as good as Killer because of driver issues(which should be fixed by Intel) and poor performance in the 2.4Ghz band.
Besides these cards don't cost much and can be easily replaced in most laptops except HP,Lenovo and Dell which require a custom bios.

Latency is a two sided affair, depends on the end user WLAN and Router, also the thread starter didn't mention about any intentions pertaining to hardcore lan or multiplayer gaming, which makes WLAN much of a secondary consideration.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Use google translator:
Review G56JR

asus could've done better in terms of cooling..oh well
will wait for some more time..

Asus G56JR-CN141 - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews

Nearly all the review their says that the cooling system is sufficient.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Asus G56JR-CN141 - Notebookcheck.net External Reviews

Nearly all the review their says that the cooling system is sufficient.

yep I took it off from tht web only; but my point being:
- dont just go by the words..
- checkout the inside pics. specf. the opened up mobo layout pic

Update:
- no direct vents at the bottom/top for the fan but just a side exhaust for the single fan
def. not for overclockers/hardcore gamers as also mentioned in the review.

yep I took it off from tht web only; but my point being:
- dont just go by the words..
- checkout the inside pics. specf. the opened up mobo layout pic

True, one big problem with G56jr is the lack of a proper review, atleast in a language we can understand.
Although, this G56jr seems to stem from N56, and notebookcheck have reviewed that particular model :
Review Update Asus N56JR-S4080H Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

The screen is different for G56 though(An IPS/PLS panel), oh and the review confirms that the speaker setup of Asus laptop doesn't fall short of MSI one's, may even surpass them.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
True, one big problem with G56jr is the lack of a proper review, atleast in a language we can understand.
Although, this G56jr seems to stem from N56, and notebookcheck have reviewed that particular model :
Review Update Asus N56JR-S4080H Notebook - NotebookCheck.net Reviews

The screen is different for G56 though(An IPS/PLS panel)

hah what'd you expected? just a paint job and they won't correct/improve their teny-tiny bits?:-D when launching a new RoG

Just updated my post a bit.

hah what'd you expected? just a paint job and they won't correct/improve their teny-tiny bits?:-D when launching a new RoG

Just updated my post a bit.

Asus does that usually, even for the new "gaming laptop" released yesterday, they just rebranded their NX500 to GX500 for marketing it as a gaming laptop.
Asus updates ROG lineup with the GX500 and G551 - NotebookCheck.net News
(Which, on a side note, looks incredibly awesome other than the fact it cannot run games at it's native resolution)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Latency is a two sided affair, depends on the end user WLAN and Router, also the thread starter didn't mention about any intentions pertaining to hardcore lan or multiplayer gaming, which makes WLAN much of a secondary consideration.

As I said before, WLAN does not matter in India.

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Asus does that usually, even for the new "gaming laptop" released yesterday, they just rebranded their NX500 to GX500 for marketing it as a gaming laptop.
Asus updates ROG lineup with the GX500 and G551 - NotebookCheck.net News
(Which, on a side note, looks incredibly awesome other than the fact it cannot run games at it's native resolution)

G551..mmm...:-D

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Even GTX 780Ti has trouble running games at 4k why are we even trying to game at 4k?
Playing at 1080p is what these laptops are meant for. If the panels are IGZO then degrading resolution will have little to no effect on picture quality.

As I said before, WLAN does not matter in India.

Then MSI might not have any advantage whatsoever, and the thread owner might as well wait for Y50/Asus G511, which might launch next month.(I am not quite sure about Asus, I guess they roll dice to decide when to launch a laptop in India, I mean seriously, their update pattern is totally random, you will find them selling a second generation i7 based N series laptop in India)

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Then MSI might not have any advantage whatsoever, and the thread owner might as well wait for Y50/Asus G511, which might launch next month.(I am not quite sure about Asus, I guess they roll dice to decide when to launch a laptop in India, I mean seriously, their update pattern is totally random, you will find them selling a second generation i7 based N series laptop in India)

MSI will hopefully bring GTX 870m within a reasonable price range.
Y50 will at least cost between 90k-1lakh due to new BIS norms. If MSI costs below 90k then money savings IS an advantage.
Meanwhile a repaint of Asus G511 may be launched next year same date when Nvidia Pascal GPUs are about to be launched. :lol:

prometheus

#ArmA since 2006
Y50 will at least cost between 90k-1lakh due to new BIS norms. If MSI costs below 90k then money savings IS an advantage.
Meanwhile a repaint of Asus G511 may be launched next year same date when Nvidia Pascal GPUs are about to be launched. :lol:

wtf... (90k-1Lakh for Y50!? :O If the lowest 860m is >82-83k in India(incl. shipping, octroi etc.) + other resp. specs then I guess I'll be importing a Y50 or decide between y510p SLI and G56JR)
lmao.... ( :< )

GTX 870m under 90-100K can be considered something of a miracle in India, and if MSI does this, well they are angels sent by God, but then again Y50 can cost anywhere near 80K to stay relevant in market(the only competition they are now getting is Asus, and that is actually sad, just two providers of budget gaming laptops). Lenovo takes advantage of it's market position by providing laptops according to it's whims and wishes and Asus is trying to make a position by offering decent prices, but failing at configurations(I remember they used to provide a 17.x" 3D laptop with 770M under 130K, but they never launched 780M). I mean consumers are always looser in India :/

Top Bottom