Debian forks FireFox to IceWeasel!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
The Mozilla Foundation has asked Debian Linux to either use both the 'Firefox' name and the Artwork or get rid of both. Because the Artwork has non-free Copyright License, it seems Debian (and most likely, many other Linux Distros) has no choice but to change the name of the application to something else. IceWeasel is the number one choice so far!

Source : Click here

praka123

left this forum longback
today i switched to iceweazel 1.5.0.8 pre-2 in my debian etch simply(not for ethical reasons!)
here u can get .debs...
*safeweb.sitesled.com/iceweasel/
and below link for install hw2s...
*www.debianadmin.com/install-iceweasel-web-browser-in-debian-and-ubuntu.html

OP
JGuru

JGuru

Wise Old Owl
Anyway thanks for that update @Prakash. Let Debian release IceWeasel 2.0.
Then I'll try IceWeasel.

eddie

El mooooo
Debian guys are such hypocrites man. They are so anal when it comes to their own trademark and when some other app tried to protect their trademark...they abuse them. This is just not professional...

[xubz]

"The Cake is a Lie!!"
eddie said:
Debian guys are such hypocrites man. They are so anal when it comes to their own trademark and when some other app tried to protect their trademark...they abuse them. This is just not professional...
The Least they can do is Stop Trying to patch Everything they get their hands on.. :(

atleast Ubuntu Devs should get some Mind and Provide Firefox as-it-is, i.e. Official Version from Mozilla..

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
subbzzz said:
The Least they can do is Stop Trying to patch Everything they get their hands on.. :(

atleast Ubuntu Devs should get some Mind and Provide Firefox as-it-is, i.e. Official Version from Mozilla..

A package taken from project's cvs needs to be patched, so that it integrates well with rest of the distribution (for example the file associations, media handeling and other things like system's version of gtk2, python, pango etc.) There are several parameters to be taken into account which you'll not realise till you yourself become a DD.

Ubuntu takes entire Debian `Sid' tree snapshots to build their next versions upon, so they are most likely to follow what Debian does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom