Dataone Usage Finder Violating OSI ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Dataone Usage Finder is hosted in sourceforge.net. The software is used to check the usage of DataOne as a alternative for shahplus Dataone bandwidth usage finder.

Dataone Usage Finder
Ver. 1.5a (4th May 07)
BSNL, a major ISP from India recently introduced its broadband Internet service named Dataone (www.bsnl.co.in/service/dataone.htm). This service imposes an upload/download usage limit on its users. Usage between 2am and 8am is free, under certain schemes.

This makes it imperative for the users to keep an eye on their usage statistics. However, the BSNL website which provides these usage figures is not very useful, as any Dataone user will vouch.

Only the monthly total of the bandwidth used is provided. There is no provision for knowing the daily total. Also there is no demarcation between free time usage and paid time usage. These are the very figures a user would be most intersted in.

To calculate these figures, one either has to somehow get the raw statistics from the site manually into a spreadsheet or use a couple of utilities floating around on the net.

One such utility is an open source perl script hosted at dob.sourceforge.net. Another, and admittedly a very useful one, is at www.shaplus.com. However this utility is closed source, and understandably, users are wary of handing out their usernames and passwords to an untrusted application.

I, therefore coded a quick and dirty version of this program for myself. It served my purpose well and now I am making it open source so that it may be useful to a wider audience.

DUF (Dataone Usage Finder) is a very simple screen scraper program coded in VB6 (Yes guys, VB is still used!). It uses IE5 or higher, to fetch pages from the BSNL site, and after parsing out the required records, presents them in a manner which is more helpful. This data can also be saved as html files.

Hope you find it useful. Please send in your comments and suggestions to make DUF better.

Till now only the source of version 1.3 had been putup for download. The other versions like 1.4beta , 1.5 and 1.5a has not been uploaded but the setup/executable is available. I think this is in violation of OSI. I am a member of Sourceforge and want to report this issue, but I cant find any link to report the same. Can you guys put some light on this and help me out to report this issue.

Project Page

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^^ I didnt get you. Are you telling WOW because you got a alternative to shahplus or do you want to fight till you get the source code. And bring Open Source violators to justice.

PS:Will be starting one more thread. I think PCQLinux is also violating Open Source Licenses.

praka123

left this forum longback
yes.I think DUF violates.get it reported.
edit:be confirmed of the script license.
and what about others?:
*sourceforge.net/search/?type_of_search=soft&words=dataone
^ I feel most of them dont list license! :?

Last edited:
OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Reported .. Now lets see what is the response.
@Prakash

Dataone Usage Finder -
V1.3 Source Available
V1.4 Beta - No source available
V1.5 - No source Available
V1.5a - No source Available
:mad:
Dataone Usage Calc - This project has not yet created any file release packages.
:(
Dataone Quick Usage Finder - Source Available - Delphi
:D

@Mods: I also want you guys to know that PCQLinux 2007 violates GPL . I have seen threads related to PCQLinux been locked in the past. As I issue im talking about is related to Open Source and its violation so can I post it on a new thread asking Open source supporters to take action.

vaithy

In the zone
charangk said:
Reported .. Now lets see what is the response.
@Prakash

:mad:
:(
:D

@Mods: I also want you guys to know that PCQLinux 2007 violates GPL . I have seen threads related to PCQLinux been locked in the past. As I issue im talking about is related to Open Source and its violation so can I post it on a new thread asking Open source supporters to take action.

Dear charangk,

If PCQLinux 2007 violates GPL, the proper course is notify the violation in their forum, so they may get the opportunity to see your point..
with regards,
vaithy

praka123

left this forum longback
I think pcqlinux violation reg is that they not providing source for the rpms in their distro.but most of what pcq holds is fedora only.hardly any innovation rather than a custom anaconda installer may be.yeah,i remember this been discussed loong back.but nice u been doing @charangk. :)

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
charangk said:
Dataone Usage Finder is hosted in sourceforge.net. The software is used to check the usage of DataOne as a alternative for shahplus Dataone bandwidth usage finder.

Till now only the source of version 1.3 had been putup for download. The other versions like 1.4beta , 1.5 and 1.5a has not been uploaded but the setup/executable is available. I think this is in violation of OSI. I am a member of Sourceforge and want to report this issue, but I cant find any link to report the same. Can you guys put some light on this and help me out to report this issue.

Project Page
2 things
1st - check the license under which the version, for which source is not available. Author can change the license anytime he wishes. But, the versions released under GPL will remain so.
2nd - ask the author for the source code, if it's under a OSI license. If the author refuses to do so, then you need to think about filing a report.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Oops Already reported. There is no licence available at all with any version.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom