DataOne, Problem with Forefox

Status
Not open for further replies.

janitha

Wise Old Owl
I got DataOne connection 10 days back. There is a problem that with Firefox, I am able to download pages only now and then. Most of the time it remains inactive. In the case of IE there is no problem. Firefox is my favourite browser which I have been using with dial up without any problem for mor than a year.

Secondly with an average use of one hour of browsing only and no downloads, the usage has already reached 0.1 GB. Is it natural? (I always turn off the modem once the browsing is over.

Hope somebody will explain
With thanks in anticipation

V.Prem Kumar

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
well i dont hink that 0.1 gb is normal unless u download stuff from net. hav u changed ur dataone password.. if not do so immediately, u never know..someone may be stealing ur account.

ff works fine 4 me, i am also on dataone
wat do u mean by downloading pages?

when u r not surfing, u shud put ur modem off..thats ok

selva1966

Journeyman
Well I am using dataone with FF for more than six months and I have no such problem. Which version of FF you are having. Go for the latest now since you have BB.

It depends on the sites you visit. It is not abnormal. Install FF extension adblock if you want.

There was a thread on this issue. Search for it. If I get I will post it.

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
It depends on the sites you visit. It is not abnormal. Install FF extension adblock if you want.

may be.. but i thought it is abnormal. 100 mb in a hour wid no downloads :shock: ? may be he was running apps like google earth that downloads data in large amounts :?

kato

Karthiksn
no generic superhero and janitha its bcoz a site loadsand is stored in the teporary files or cookies or caches. Its also considered as downloads more the heavy sites with animations and pictures it will more is the download

If i m wrong correct me

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
saurav_cheeta said:
@janitha

what FF version r u using?? if it can be updated then update it...

Firefox Ver. 1.0.7 which I think is the latest. I tried reinstalling also. Only occasionally pages open in it and then it works fine for that session.

Generic
by down loading pages, in factI meant surfing only

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Generic Superhero said:

may be.. but i thought it is abnormal. 100 mb in a hour wid no downloads :shock: ? may be he was running apps like google earth that downloads data in large amounts :?

Actually I meant average one hour of surfing only and no downloads.

Generic Superhero

Journeyman
kato said:
no generic superhero and janitha its bcoz a site loadsand is stored in the teporary files or cookies or caches. Its also considered as downloads more the heavy sites with animations and pictures it will more is the download

If i m wrong correct me
u r fully right

@ janitha: what sites did u visit? were those sites rich with images, animations, flash and all...?

i surf the net heavily and my monthly bandwith usage is somewhere around 1 gb...

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
Generic Superhero said:
kato said:

If i m wrong correct me
u r fully right

@ janitha: what sites did u visit? were those sites rich with images, animations, flash and all...?

i surf the net heavily and my monthly bandwith usage is somewhere around 1 gb...

I visit such sites very rarely, ie. animations, flash etc. BTW does flash contain too much data and if so how to disable it, especially since most of the time it is annoying

vishalbhatia

Journeyman
Also make sure to turn off all automatic softwares updates like virus definations, spyware definations, real player, windows automatic update etc. and update all these things manually in happy hours i:e free hours 2 am to 8 am.

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
vishalbhatia said:
Also make sure to turn off all automatic softwares updates like virus definations, spyware definations, real player, windows automatic update etc. and update all these things manually in happy hours i:e free hours 2 am to 8 am.

Thank you all for the help and advice. Now the problem is mostly solved after installation of Adblock and upgradation to Win XP. (of course original and activated.)

OP
J

janitha

Wise Old Owl
rudra_chowdhury said:
Do you use Windows Xp Sp2, if the automatic update is turned on , in a broadband connection it can download a lot

Yes, My XP came with built in SPII, but the update is not automatic but to prompt me when available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom