Dataone connection sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

comrade

foreign return(0)
i got 2 ethernet card one for the modem and the other for my home network.
i use ccproxy for internet connection sharing.
i found no prob in accessing webpages thru my system which is directly connected to the internet. But other systems that are behind the proxy found to be not so fast as the one which has direct access.
any tweak needs to be done? ive disabled the firewalls too.

djmykey

Let the music play.....
comrade can u share the settings how u managed to share it coz i need to share the connection as well pls man.

theraven

Technomancer
unfortunately all ur systems behing the proxy will be slower
atleast by a margin
sicne its internet connection sharing not full bandwidth is given to the proxy server part of ur host ...
u could try other software or even inbuilt ICS for improvement
i suggest trial and error till u are satisfied ..
check my tutorial in the tutorial section
"how to share a net connection over a LAN "

OP
comrade

comrade

foreign return(0)
Here is what I’ve done for connection sharing. I do agree that this one is not the best but can give u an idea for an ideal setup.

I assume that u have 2 ethernet cards. In my case I have an inbuilt NIC which is connected to adsl modem. The second card is the addon NIC to interconnect the network.

Open control panel -> network connections. u should have something like this.
*img116.echo.cx/img116/4240/im15ua.jpg

Right click the inbuilt lan connection or the one connected to the adsl modem and select properties. Make sure ppp over Ethernet is selected while others unselected.
*img116.echo.cx/img116/5958/im27xg.jpg

Right click the other lan connection, select properties and configure it to look like this.
*img116.echo.cx/img116/4724/im30xq.jpg

Configure local IP address for this lan if not done.
*img116.echo.cx/img116/8428/im45nw.jpg

Now run a proxy server. Any proxy will do, no configuration is necessary for basic usage. Look for free proxy in april 2k5 digit cd/dvd.
*img116.echo.cx/img116/7471/im56pz.jpg

No go to the system that require net access and configure ur browser settings something similar to this.
*img203.echo.cx/img203/8468/im63fn.jpg

Done.
for a complete setup please do refer this link
*www.windowsnetworking.com/pages/article_p.asp?id=26

OP
comrade

comrade

foreign return(0)
theraven said:
unfortunately all ur systems behing the proxy will be slower
atleast by a margin
sicne its internet connection sharing not full bandwidth is given to the proxy server part of ur host ...
u could try other software or even inbuilt ICS for improvement
i suggest trial and error till u are satisfied ..
check my tutorial in the tutorial section
"how to share a net connection over a LAN "

i can tolerate a slight slow down. but in my case the systems are not even opening the html pages properly(i found dialup a lot better) although using download manager i was able to achieve faster downloads as same as the true one.
do i need to perform any modification to tcp/ip settings/ browser settings/proxy itself.

digen

Youngling
Sorry if I may have missed it but is the "slowdown" w.r.t to only accesing web pages ?
When you try accessing the internet what activity is taking place at the proxy server[your host pc]?
If the proxy server itself is continously downloading something or making maximum usage of available bandwidth then balancing bandwidth between the proxy server & the other host pc may be the issue.Just reduce all internet activity at the proxy server & try accessing web page,or download from the host pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom