Data Execution Prevention

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Hi frnds
I have a Dell Inspiron Laptop with Intel core duo processor @ 1.66, 1 GB ram, 80GB SATA 7200 HDD running XP Media Centre SP2.
I have partioned my HDD in 3 Primary and 1 Logical partition.I also have an always on net connection with latest updates of Avast and Spybot and others and i download heavily and keep installing new applications. Recently i have been facing a strange problem.
Whenever i used to access my Media files in logical Partition my application used to be terminated with a message "Data Execution Prevention" , "to help protect your comp,Windows has cloed this prgrm". When i close this msg then i get a msg frm Windows Explrr that it encountered a prblm and it needs to b closed. Then desktop vanishes for few seconds and just wallppr remains and desktop reappears in few scnds most of the time bt sumtimes the only option remained to shut down forcefully
suddenly this prblm vanished for abt three days bt now its occuring again in my Primary C:, where i have kept sum dwnldd videos.
I have run scans in safe mode and during bootups.
What can be the prblm???
I m puzzeled. Plz Help

kumarmohit

Technomancer
DEP is meant to keep your OS safe from Buffer overflow attacks, there might be a possibility that your media files are poisioned try to scan your media files before opening them with avast and when u say that every thing except wall paper vanishes but comes back again its you windows explorer crashing and reinitialising itself.

BTW what app do u use to open these files?

OP
A

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Even if i just enter the folder. many a times the system crashes;not necessarily while opening the file. Anyways i use Nero show time to see the XviD format movies

ambandla

Sup' dude, Sup'
Try this:

1. Click Start, click Run, type sysdm.cpl, and then click OK.
2. Click the Advanced tab, click Performance, and then click Settings.
3. Select "Turn on DEP for all programs and service except for those I select.
4) Slect Windows explorer, click on OK. Make sure that Windows explorer is checked.

G

gxsaurav

this is a known problem with divx 6.2.5 codec, there is a update patch available at their forum, but u better do 2 things first

1) Disable Video preview

To remove media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll

To enable media preview, type and hit enter
regsvr32 shmedia.dll

or, install the above said patch from here

OP
A

ashu_dps

Hell Sucks!!!
Thanks saurav, mohit and ambandala . The prblm got solved by disabling Preview.
Newayz i wanted to ask whats the use of keeping DEP enabled. Shouldnt i just disable it

Last edited:
G

gxsaurav

DEP protects again buffer overflow errors in application, which is a common tactics used by viruses to breach a flaw in an application

DEP is good, but if it's Hardware DEP, only Athlon 64, Pentium D, Pentium 4 Prescott & newer CPU like Core duo & core 2 duo support it in hardware.

Old pentium 4 support it in software which kills the performance, so disable it in that case

since u have a core duo laptop, u don't need to worry, it won't kill performance at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom