Cyanogen turns down Google’s acquisition attempt

amjath

Human Spambot
As a company, Cyanogen Inc is still very new, though it is growing fast and making some interesting moves along the way — such as teaming up with Oppo for the N1 CM edition and working with OnePlus to deliver CyanogenMod 11S on the OnePlus One. It seems that it’s not just consumers taking notice of Cyanogen’s efforts, as a new report from The Information claims that Google’s Sundar Pichai met with Cyanogen Inc executives recently to discuss the possibility of an acquisition.

Reportedly the CM team turned Google down, content to stay the course and has even discussed a Series C round of funding with a few investors and tech firms, seeking a valuation of nearly $1 billion. Considering the company is new and not exactly generating a massive revenue stream just yet, that might seem like a lot. Of course, the experience behind the CM team and the CyanogenMod ROM (and community) is the real value for the company, not the products and partnerships it has produced during its short corporate life.

CyanogenMod remains one of the most well-known and popular ROMs in the Android world with some very big talent behind it, and so we could see how the addition of the CM team could potentially be of value to Google, as well as Android manufacturers or even possibly Google’s rivals. In the meantime, Cyanogen has plans to continue expanding its reach and, according to the report, has told potential investors it has a deal in place with MicroMax to bring CyanogenMod to India.

With Micromax and others also pushing the Android One effort in India and other emerging markets, it remains unseen if CM has what it takes to compete in such an aggressive manner against Google. The Information also notes that Cyanogen needs to tread carefully, as they need to ensure that their modifications (and marketing tactics) don’t irk Google too much as CM still relies on Google Play certification. Unlike Amazon, there’s no in-house apps and services to fall back on if Google ever decides to fight dirty and deny certification.

What do you think, IF the report is correct and Google was truly interested in making an offer, was Cyanogen Inc wise to continue on its own path or not? What benefits do you think Google could see from obtaining CyanogenMod and the team behind it?

Is Google scared of Amazon? Do you think CM will accept Amazon offer IF Amazon proposes. I guess not

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
You missed citing the Source. Btw that is this: The Information: Cyanogen turns down Google’s acquisition attempt

Cyanogen decision not to merge with Google is commendable. This will raise more trust in CM users, since they know genuine developers are behind the ROM's than being influenced by big corporates' sometimes selfish motives.

Though I would like to see how Google handles the rejection. Would be interesting to see if it have hurt Google. I hope it doesn't unlike Facebook whose ego got hurt a lot when Snapchat rejected them.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
^ Thanks for the Source link.
Google might not react much , rejection happens in acquisition requests but this is one to watch

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
even microsoft was interested in cyanogenmod
seems the one plus one is a threat to alot of companies
*www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...=XS5-ScL0ywnwl1soJeJ7gA&bvm=bv.76802529,d.c2E

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
even microsoft was interested in cyanogenmod
seems the one plus one is a threat to alot of companies
*www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=...=XS5-ScL0ywnwl1soJeJ7gA&bvm=bv.76802529,d.c2E

Sell to anyone or get bankrupt don't go to Microsoft.

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
Owners of Minecraft wasn't thinking like you do. Lot of people dissapointed that Minecraft was sold to Microsoft.

They were looking for money also MS bought it with huge money. Oculus rift, whatspp sold to FB are stupid decision were only money was playing the big part

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
Sell to anyone or get bankrupt don't go to Microsoft.

i dont agree with this
microsoft has done a great job with windows 10 and windows phone
cyanogenod team will make it better

any day microsoft over google,atleast they dont sell our info for ads

- - - Updated - - -

They were looking for money also MS bought it with huge money. Oculus rift, whatspp sold to FB are stupid decision were only money was playing the big part

fyi minecraft was primarily made for windows (pc) so it does make sense that they bought it
i agree with the facebook thing however,microsoft or sony should have bought oculus rift

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
i dont agree with this
microsoft has done a great job with windows 10 and windows phone
cyanogenod team will make it better

any day microsoft over google,atleast they dont sell our info for ads

You are taking about their product. I'm talking interms of android.
They took android and released soem devices for the sake of releasing a android device, Which is a horrible experience for an Android User.

The acquisition attempt from MS clearly shows that they are looking for devs for their apps. They NEED to improve their app quality. People can name few quality apps but Top Devs from android and ios are still yet to open their account in windows store.

Example Flipboard available from today, That too with Pun intended
For the time being, Flipboard is available only for Windows Phone smartphones with at least 1GB of RAM. The developers behind the app are reportedly working with Microsoft on a version that is optimized for devices with 512MB of RAM.
Source

Seriously??

- - - Updated - - -

fyi minecraft was primarily made for windows (pc) so it does make sense that they bought it
i agree with the facebook thing however,microsoft or sony should have bought oculus rift

Now what make them XBOX One Exclusive so that everyone buy Xbox for minecraft. Xbox one Minecraft Limited edition :p

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
their app quality is fine,its people who generalise about microsoft who should try stuff out first before spreading hate

btw Nokia X was NOT by microsoft,it was an attempt by nokia before being bought by microsoft to replace the asha series
it was intended to be a feature phone upgrade not a smartphone upgrade for an android user
it was discontinued within a few months

as for 512mb ram thing , we get ALL apps optimised and it runs faster than most androids
oh and we even get updates,85% of android handsets have never got an update
android will lag and not get updates even with a quad core cpu and more than 1gb ram but a windows phone/ios device will get updates

you need to do research instead of spreading misconceptions about microsoft and even apple

- - - Updated - - -

as for cyanogenmod, they took stock android and improved it the best they could,imagine if they got the FULL SOURCE of android,windows phone and ios
so irrespective of which platform they were on before,they can still improve and develop for other platforms if they want

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
their app quality is fine,its people who generalise about microsoft who should try stuff out first before spreading hate

I did not have Windows phone but I have amazed to see how great windows phone and iphone runs on lower hardware but

My friend who was using Lumia 720, replaced his phone with an android device because of app quality and availabilty.

I myself is a Windows 8.1 user and uses many apps for my desktop.

Except few apps, everyother app is crap.

I have waited 2 years for tapatalk to come to windows 8 and few other essential apps too. Still tapatalk for windows 8 is poor

as for 512mb ram thing , we get ALL apps optimised and it runs faster than most androids
oh and we even get updates,85% of android handsets have never got an update
android will lag and not get updates even with a quad core cpu and more than 1gb ram but a windows phone/ios device will get updates

I have seen people here in TDF suggesting alternate phones instead of going to a 512MB RAM Windows phone

Since Android is being skinned by manufactures, thats teh reason for updates gap. Consider Moto x,g series and GP edition phones they get faster updates. Software update for iphones and Windows phone are controlled by Apple and Microsoft directly, Manufactures dont touch on these platforms so they are faster updates.

Comparing 3 platforms for software updates is invalid discussion.

you need to do research instead of spreading misconceptions about microsoft and even apple

These two platforms have potential, but not growing as Android did. I own Apple device, I know how many times i have facepalmed myself.
I was close enough to see Windows device, 2 of my friends moved from Windows. Reason app availabity, more happy with their new platforms

as for cyanogenmod, they took stock android and improved it the best they could,imagine if they got the FULL SOURCE of android,windows phone and ios
so irrespective of which platform they were on before,they can still improve and develop for other platforms if they want

We all know what CM does, everyone should and will adapt to platform [Ex: IT developer] But till when they can hold on to the platform other Android is questionable.

IMO, CM should reject everyone's acquisition plan. Especially BIG NO for MS

- - - Updated - - -

Spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes are expected :lol:

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
i know more people unhappy with android than on ios and windows phone that doesnt make android a bad OS naa
so how can you use that logic and call windows phone lacking etc thats generalising especially since you havent owned a windows phone

windows phone doesnt lack apps,it has all the major apps including tapatalk which works just fine

comparing 3 platforms for updates is valid because android is majorly fragmented and in the end the consumer is the one getting nothing

same with malware-android is the only platform with malware inside the store,ios has had 2 virus instances which were minor,windows phone and BB10 have none

In TDF there are more people who prefer android than windows phone sometimes enough for some to suggest phones purely based on specs without any experience so that logic is invalid

windows 8.1 store is crap but windows phone is totally different,i can buy a cheap android TV dongle and call android phones pathetic going by that logic

i myself have a lumia 720 and havent looked back,512mb ram is NOT a limitation for windows phone and ios

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
What Microsoft?s Apps Problem Means for Windows Store?s Future (MSFT)
Windows Phone missing apps: Uber, Google Maps, Snapchat, Tinder | BGR
4 steps for Microsoft to fix Windows Phone's app problems - CNET

*www.neowin.net/news/microsoft-windows-phone-doesnt-have-an-app-problem-in-india
from above link a meaning comment
I got both an Android and a Windows Phone 8.1 in front of me and I am comparing the apps I have in both. What I am missing from Windows Phone:

1. An app for my Bank #1
2. An app for my Bank #2
(There is one for WP but can't install it because it is not available in my region. With Android I can bypass this stupidity)
3. Hailo
4. Steam
5. Canon EOS Remote
6. Wacom Bamboo Loop
7. App for a well-known e-Gold trading platform
8. Elance App
9. My local Public Transport Authority app
10. Wolfram Alpha
11. Meter reading app for my energy provider
12. Life of George app for Lego
13. Godaddy app
14. Cable provider app to watch TV on phone/tablet
15. Official BBC News app (with notifications of breaking news)
16. Flipboard
17. App for my mobile phone network (check usage, bills, etc)

What more do you want everyone is saying MS apps need to improve

About fragmentation still almost every android version available today can runs apps. Fragmentation is just on the OS division, which has an answer now in the name of Android One.

I have suggested my friend for many apps, which he dont find it in the store and many other alternative have poor ratings.

There were malware apps popping up in both android store and ios store which was removed and now protected.

Answer me this question,
If i'm a android app developer how much should I pay to add my app to play store?
if i'm a Windows app developer how much should I pay to add my app to Windows store?

Which will obviously answer the question for malware activities

I never said you need 3GB RAM to run an OS and how OS and apps are optimised and all, I'm saying that MS still struggling with app quality and availability Period.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
I shifted from Lumia 620 for the same reason. Lack of many important apps. Specially the google ones and bank apps. May be bank apps will be there now, but google apps are still missing. But OS wise I found WP to be much smoother than Android. But in mobile world apps matters, that's why the need of smartphone came into existence.

ankush28

Bazinga
I shifted from Lumia 620 for the same reason. Lack of many important apps. Specially the google ones and bank apps. May be bank apps will be there now, but google apps are still missing. But OS wise I found WP to be much smoother than Android. But in mobile world apps matters, that's why the need of smartphone came into existence.

OS is no doubt lot smoother even on low end phones. But heavenly lacks apps, services like P2P, games, Faster file sharing, Flac audio support and list goes on.......

OP
amjath

amjath

Human Spambot
OS is no doubt lot smoother even on low end phones. But heavenly lacks apps, services like P2P, games, Faster file sharing, Flac audio support and list goes on.......
That's what I was saying the whole time. Windows store is just trying to catch number of apps what other stores have.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
That's what I was saying the whole time. Windows store is just trying to catch number of apps what other stores have.

Numbers doesn't matters much. A decent app for the basic tasks should be enough. But I really miss Google Apps on WP. But I miss the Camera more of Lumia's

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW

it has flac support (third party apps)
it doesnt lack important apps
i wish it had wifi direct but NFC and bluetooth are pretty fast
windows phone is massively underhyped and the amount of misconceptions is really high

- - - Updated - - -

90% of people here need to think beyond android,ive tried all os's but as a phone windows phone and BB10 are actually well made
sure they lack certain apps which people probably wont use on a daily basis anyway
tell me this- out of those million apps which are on the play store etc,how many apps do you actually get to use etc?
how many apps are actually official apps and not malware/fake
ms apps>>>>google apps
office etc on windows phone any day beat google docs
skype beats hangouts
facebook integration >>>>>google +
here maps and google maps are roughly equal
bing works great and even forms the base for cortana and even Siri,yahoo,facebook
sure for local results in india google search works better sometimes

the app situation is massively overhyped,think out of the box and try it out atleast like some here ,who posted why they liked windows phone and why they like android after USING both
blindly posting cons etc isnt good,you need to use it (not your friends unless you get to use it for a long period- 1-2 weeks)

Top Bottom