Current pending sector count error

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Your 1st screen shot everything is correct.450MB+99MB+931.78GB+930.68GB=approx 1863GB.
My point is I want d drive to have 1300-1400gb and rest in system reserve, c etc etc so what number should I fill in that column? The max number that it's allowing me can fetch me 930 gb in d drive

patkim

Cyborg Agent
From what I best understand, I think you need to shrink current C drive to create more space at the end of it to allocated more than 930 GB for the next drive say D. Right click C and click Shrink volume and see how much it offers to shrink and then decide the size to be shrunk first.

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
Dear patkim and whitestar
Please check the photos which i have posted above and the one which i uuploade to tinypic. I did what you are saying but the option becomes zero if i enter a value which will give me more than 930gb in d. Sorry replying from phone, it's a mess to upload photos via phone.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Use one of these:
Free partition manager software to resize partitions - EaseUS® Partition Master Free
Best Free Partition Manager for Windows | MiniTool Partition Wizard Free

Seems like partition layout is not as expected.I think one of the system partition is in between C & D drive.Any one of the above should show it clearly in their main window.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
I think what you are trying to do is enter a value more than the max possible shrink value. The max possible shrink value is 953018 MB and you are entering 1024000. You already have 930GB allocated after C and you can theorotically shrink C to 953018 adding 953018 + 930000 then becoming a free space. If you do it that way, C will have virtually no space left.

Since your target is 1400 GB set the amount to shrink as 447000 so that 447 + 953 GB = 1400 GB available as free space after C in which you can create D. Note that successful shrinking C is only going to create free space on the drive after C. You will have to create a simple volume and allocate all of the space which shall be around 1400GB and create D therein.

Last edited:
OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
I think what you are trying to do is enter a value more than the max possible shrink value. The max possible shrink value is 953018 MB and you are entering 1024000. You already have 930GB allocated after C and you can theorotically shrink C to 953018 adding 953018 + 930000 then becoming a free space. If you do it that way, C will have virtually no space left.

Since your target is 1400 GB set the amount to shrink as 447000 so that 447 + 953 GB = 1400 GB available as free space after C in which you can create D. Note that successful shrinking C is only going to create free space on the drive after C. You will have to create a simple volume and allocate all of the space which shall be around 1400GB and create D therein.
This is the issue, or I am messing it up somehow, if I enter 447000 in that shrink column, it will create a new drive(unallocated one) with a total size of 447gigs. It is not letting me shrink anything more than 930 gigs.
I am not able to post screenshots as I am not installing anything in the system before sorting this out. Will post photos once I have access to the pc.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
It will not let you shrink anything more than 930 because beyond that point files (either OS or system default files etc) exists on C drive. So you can not go any further than 930.

After shrinking 447 if it shows two separate un-allocated spaces, one for 447 and another for 930 GB then there's something after C, else that freed 447 should have merged into 930 giving you a total of about 1.4TB of free space, where you can create your D drive.

I am bit unclear as to what you plan to achieve. Is OS installed on C? What is the size of the Windows OS partition (C) do you plan to have?
Did you choose 931 GB as C drive size at the time of OS install? Or did the system take it by default?

If it's getting too complex, just do a clean install of Windows 10 and choose the exact size of C drive that you intend to have during install. You can manage/delete partitions during install where it says 'Where do you want to install Windows' section of the Installer.

Last edited:
OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
So, ease us one actually allowed me to create a partition of my choice after like 2 restarts. Pfa, is it looking fine now? Sorry the ss's are not sorted posting via phone.
If it's fine then what was the issue with the inbuilt partition manager?
DM.jpg
Ease 2.jpg
Ease 4.jpg
Ease.jpg
MTPW.jpg
PC.jpg

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
You already partitioned the hdd.Now cannot confirm my guess as you didn't took the screenshot before modifying the partitions using Easeus.My guess was that one of the system reserved partition was coming between C & D drive & if this was the case then windows inbuilt partition manager can't do anything as it does not have the ability to move partitions.

system partition 1|C|system partition 2|D------>windows partition manager can shrink C but it cannot add that extra freed space to D because system partition 2 is coming in between.

Easeus/3rd party partition managers can solve this issue by first moving system partition 2 & then resizing C & D.------->system partition 1|system partition 2|C|D

OP
B

billubakra

Conversation Architect
^^^^
Whatever reserved partition was coming in between, is that a sign of some crap waiting to happen? I took screenshots, will post some ss's once it is up and running

Thank you so much @patkim and @whitestar_999 bhaiyo, I owe you a cold coffee. Haven't installed all of the apps as was busy and the system was updating. Installed asus mobo drivers after installing windows but asus utility, using which we can update g\the driver, increase or decrease fan speed, can keep an eye on temps etc. is nowhere to be found. Any fix?

So, it seems that resetting the rtc and taking out the cmos battery did it. Did the dust mess it up in the first place? Next time onward this is the troubleshooting step to be followed in the first place.

I would like to share an experience, the wd guy told me that after dropping the hdd to the drop point it will take a maximum of 10-14 days for the replacement drive to reach my place. When I went to that drop centre, it was a whore house, sorry to use that word. It was completely empty and inappropriate things were happening behind that door. None of my business. When I handed over my drive I was given a print out which said "Conditional Acceptance" and below the same it was written that hdd needs to be physically inspected as some (technical word, can't recall) wire is broken and the hdd is mishandled or something, will try to find that letter. Anyways I confronted her because my drive was like new. She said its normal. But I took photos from every angle in front of her. More than 20 days passed but there was no sign of the hdd. The ch*tiya wd guy kept on telling me that the hdd is still in transit. Shooted some mails to their management and this guys manager called and said that a. my drive needs to be physically inspected as it was accepted on conditional basis because of the damage and b. the drop point will send them the drive when they have a like 5-6 drives. For point a I sent her the photos which I took in that drop centre and for point b I said if another customer comes after 5 months, then will they wait for 5 months just to send my drive to them? Radio silence. Resent some mails and after few days I was told that the replacement drive is on the way and this process should have only taken a maximum of 7 days. She said that the wd guy is being given proper training and that they are taking internal action against the drop point and in the end got 6 months extended warranty as a token of apology.
Moral- Read every point written on the receipt. Take photos of your device, be it a phone/drive etc., in the service centre/drop point itself.
Edit- It's a 4 month extended warranty, 2 months were left in warranty they gave additional 4 months so a total of 6 months.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think on some systems windows installer may create system reserved partition after C drive(completely random so case of a bad luck).

Top Bottom