Curiosity rover being landed on Mars on August 6

clmlbx

Technomancer
mars.jpg

post landing procedures are being done..after that they are going to transfer control to Ground control.. For now telecast is off.

media conference just started..

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
*25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8ap15bipv1rt9cxco1_500.jpg

Breathtaking view of the Milky Way from the surface of Mars

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
As it turns out I wasn't able to catch the live telecast of the landing from my work. But glad to know that it was a success!

Following two images are the start of an expedition which could very well end with many new discoveries!

*i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120806015227-exploring-mars-1-horizontal-gallery.jpg

"One of the first images taken by NASA's Curiosity rover, which landed on Mars early Monday, August 6. The clear dust cover that protected the camera during landing has been sprung open. Part of the spring that released the dust cover can be seen at the bottom right, near the rover's wheel."

*i2.cdn.turner.com/cnn/dam/assets/120806061548-mars-image-nasa-horizontal-gallery.jpg

"Another of the first images beamed back from NASA's Curiosity rover on August 6 is the shadow cast by the rover on the surface of Mars."
Pics Source: *edition.cnn.com/2012/08/06/tech/mars-rover-curiosity/index.html

And finally, the 7 minutes of terror:

Usui1811

uıɐƃɐ ʇou 'ʇıɥs ɥo
lets hope this multi-billion project really answers most of the question.. Somewhere in my heart I really want to know the secrets of the universe and all those stuffs, but listening about these projects manufacturing budget really gives me cold sweat.. I just hope it becomes a big success.

OP
Vyom

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Why are photos black and white?

I am no scientist but AFAIK, most of the pics which comes from outer space are black and whites, and are later made colored using some other kind of data.
It maybe because a black and white image takes less size then a colored one. Or that the kind of camera that took these photo were on external surface of the rover covered by only a dust cover, so it was a low end B/W camera. But I hope that other "main" cameras are colored in that case!

clmlbx

Technomancer
I think because camera in rover is not colored :lol: anyway I believe their camera is much more technical for getting info..

or maybe even they have fup like indian ISP so to save bandwidth B&W :lol: but mostly because of like infra red and all those stuff in camera.

Arsenal_Gunners

Human Spambot
I am no scientist but AFAIK, most of the pics which comes from outer space are black and whites, and are later made colored using some other kind of data.
It maybe because a black and white image takes less size then a colored one. Or that the kind of camera that took these photo were on external surface of the rover covered by only a dust cover, so it was a low end B/W camera. But I hope that other "main" cameras are colored in that case!

Yup, this is the case. The mast camera hasn't been activated yet. Should get high resolution pictures soon.

Tech&ME

Banned
Lets hope this missions comes out to flying colours. I would be very happy, if they discover that there is LIFE there.

The whole idea of aliens will be solved to some extend.... ha ha ha [ just kidding ]

clmlbx

Technomancer
always nice to know there is some one out there but are we(Humans) ready for aliens? I don't think so..

new and all colored plus High resolution images are available on nasa's website.

*www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/msl/multimedia/gallery-indexEvents.html

Top Bottom