Crysis Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
W i d e S c r e e N said:
@deathvirus_me ---plz explain :texture vram overloading problem of the 8800.
Well , in certain games , it may happen that some unnecessary data is not unloaded from the vram , thus occupying unecessary space. . even with 512 MB cards , it might happen that the total vram usage actually reached over the limit of the physical vram , i.e. 512 MB .. in such a case , the data that was supposed to be stored on the vram is now shifted to the RAM , which is a hell lot slower than the vram .. so this results in stutterings and slowdowns quite often .. the only way out is the alt-tab out of the game , which flushes the vram , and then go back in the game ...

Though this may happen on any card , the effects are more noticeable on the 8 series ... with my 7950GT , while playing Stalker , vram usage often went upto ~550 MB , but i never noticed slowdowns .. stutterings/hitching yes , but not slowdowns .. but with the 8800GT , the fps actually dips ... infact in certain parts of Crysis , the fps went from ~32 to ~24 , and after alt-tab , back to ~32 :p ...

This problem is dependant on the game to quite an extent and is more noticeable in games which uses texture streaming , or any similar "streaming" techniques .. its like the engine totally forgets to unload the unnecessary things from the vram :p ...

And also , this is also a problem in the driver level ... and more dominant with 8800's .. this problem in more open terms is referred to as "memory leaks" :p ... only in this case its the vram and not the system ram .

But is still fail to understand why there is a performance slowdown instead of just stutterings :( ... never faced this problem with the 7950GT even when the vram usage went over the limit .. infact wit QTP3 , Oblivion avg. around 580 MB almost all the time :p ... no slowdowns .. just stutters :p .. something actually knew what to unload , when to unload ...

See : *forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?threadid=240317

For me , the only solution i could find for Crysis was to lower texture size to 1024 , from 2048 .. then the mem. usage maxed around ~490 .. no slowdowns ...

sam9s said:
@Deathvirus_me do you literally get the message "Video RAM Overload" while playing the game on everything maxed out.??

Naah .. but random slowdowns .. only solution is to alt-tab out , then reload the game :( ... irritating at certain times ... :mad: .. when will nvidia actually get a fix ..

Last edited:
OP
H

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
I have XFX 8600 GT SLI and i also experienced very suspicious slowdowns.I'll check if ur solution works sam9s.I think the nvidia SLI memory leakage bug still persists.

deathvirus_me

Wise Old Owl
^^ only solution can come from nvidia i guess ... the only other way is to somehow make sure that no matter how high u put the settings , the vram usage stays below ur cards vram limit :( ..

W i d e S c r e e N

Ambassador of Buzz
I get a "lot" of stutters with 78GT/256/1GB/4200+. whilst Splinter Cell Double Agent.

It's similar to when you have a dual core AMD and you havent patched windows with apt drivers.

Can we use third party drivers/are there any?

neat trick -atl+tab!

xbonez

NP : Crysis
@ all those who've played Crysis (entrana, harvik etc.):
Which gme did u prefer : Crysis or FEAR (at the time it had come out)

personally i prefered FEAR. not only is the story much more gripping, it is actually frightening too (unlike lots of others "horror" games). even the gfx and physics are awesome. in fact they're so aweosme that even today nearly an yr after its release, its gfx are comparable with the new games coming out

OP
H

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
I have played and completed FEAR twice on normal and hard difficulty and i must say that fear was way better when it came out.The gameplay of FEAR was what I liked.Enemy AI top-notch by its standards.Its creepy cut-scenes where excellent.

xbonez

^^that game was really really creepy and scary..... its one of the rare games that actually deserved the horror tag.....and the story in the first game was awesome too....however in XP and PM the story sort of took a backseat

kunwar

In the zone
Hey Dude ,

It was really good review , But there is a suggestion !

Couldn't you post those Damn-Cool Screenshots in such a way that we ppl could open each screen in 1280*1024 resolution ?

goobimama

 Macboy
Fear is scary? Nice. I'll try it out then. I kinda liked the excitement that Doom 3 put me into (and i played it with iMac's built in speakers). Fear has 5.1 sound right?

xbonez

not sure about the 5.1 sound (99% yes), but hell yes, FEAR is scary. and not scary in the Doom or Quake type of way (aliens with a horribly botched up face-job popping up all over the place). its real horror

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
@hahahari
X2 proccys needed to be patched with a small patch named 'AMD dual core optimiser' for some games. Otherwise there wud either be stuttered sometimes[GRAW,COD4] or will suffer from irregular speed ups/slowdowns during gameplay[Dirt].

The file is a very small download and most games whicg reqires it has the installation of it within the disc itself.

hahahari

In the zone
hmm thnx buddy.Can you tell me where I can get it from the internet that is.

Thnx.

edit:got it

Last edited:

BULLZI

Ambassador of Buzz
@deathvirus

u didnt tell me the name of ur vendor from where u got the card 8800GT.
plz do reply.

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
xbonez said:
@ all those who've played Crysis (entrana, harvik etc.):
Which gme did u prefer : Crysis or FEAR (at the time it had come out)

FEAR was an awesum game when I experienced it first but after some time it actually went boring.... !!! I couldnn't even complete the sequel of the game !!! :( IMO, Crysis is a much better game than FEAR with an amazing and unforgettable experience in all aspects of the game !!! I completed Crysis twice.... and in my list of all FPS games (all PC games), this is the best for me till date !!! :) Eagerly waiting for the second part of CRYSIS trilogy, Caveat Yerli has promised to unlock all the graphical prowess of CryEngine 2 in CRYSIS 2 and I think it was due to the current-gen hardware limitations that many graphical aspects of CryEngine II was not unlocked !!!!! :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom