Creating NAS?

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
Hai Friends

I would like to create a Network attached storage from my old computer it is a pentium D system with 1gb ddr2 RAM and D102 intel motherboard with 450watt SMPS

I would like to convert this to a NAS which is running 24*7 i don't like the sound of processor fan and of the SMPS fan is there any way i can replace them with much less sound option like CPU liquid cooling system if possible what is the good choice

I like to add wifi adpater to the NAS so that i can connect it to my home broad band it has its own modem which is provided by ISP but it has only one ethernet port but has wifi

My LCD tv is old one and it has only USB port and usual AV ports so is there any way i can attach my NAS to tv

I have a script that will allow me for auto login to my broad band but it requires dot Net frame work or windows environment so what software would be my best choice in it

please answer to my questions asap.

Champ

.NET Guru
What you are trying to achieve is pretty straight forward, Just bring PC in to network either using a CAT5 cable or USB wifi dongle , Share Drives and you are good to go,

But I will never run a PC 2X7 just to use it as a NAS, u will need a monitor, KB mouse, and power consumption will be way higher and your power bill will shoot like anything. Usage can some what be justified if you double it up as you download machine, but still no one runs a download machine 24X7.

Instead will advise you to spend in a good NAS, system (if you already have drives you can buy bare NAS enclosures), very less power consumption, and most of good NAS systems come with softwares that lets you configure NAS using a web interface.

OP
M

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
Sir i also like the factory made NAS but the problem lies that for my broad band connection i need to login using web browser by going to their site and need to keep that window open till end of session other wise connection will terminate I have found an solution to this problem by using an application listed hereAsianet Dataline Auto Login - VARKEYBut the problem is it requires Python script to be installed and there is another script that requires Dot net frame work to be installed i don't know is there any way such scripts could work on factory made nas if yes please point me one

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can get an intel atom kit for 3300 & 2gb laptop ram for 750.in approx.4000 you will have a silent processor+mobo+ram combo.you can attach an old hard disk with windows & place it in your old cabinet.you can run this setup 24*7.only issue is it has only D-sub port for video output but if your lcd tv is old it may have D-sub port.

Champ

.NET Guru
@mnnueltuttu : Why you want to expose your storage to Internet :shock:
NAS drive should be part of your Local network.

Dont get too much confused, Just think this NAS as your hard disk,

Lets assume that you are browsing internet using your laptop and you downloaded a 10 mb file, now instead of saving this file on your C:\ or D:\ drive, you will save it on 192.168.1.X\Downloads.
Where 192.168.1.X is local network address of ur NAS. Being on a NAS this file will be available to your entire LAN.

Now you can access same file from your desktop, cell phone or any other device capable of communicating over TCP\IP,

Last edited:

varkey

Journeyman
Or if you are comfortable with linux just get a Pogoplug or Seagate GoFlex Net or any similar devices and you can run a full fledged linux system and basically do anything with them.

Will cost less than 3k and its silent, less than 5w power consumption etc etc

*archlinuxarm.org/
*jeff.doozan.com/debian/

OP
M

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
@mnnueltuttu : Why you want to expose your storage to Internet :shock:
NAS drive should be part of your Local network.

Dont get too much confused, Just think this NAS as your hard disk,

Lets assume that you are browsing internet using your laptop and you downloaded a 10 mb file, now instead of saving this file on your C:\ or D:\ drive, you will save it on 192.168.1.X\Downloads.
Where 192.168.1.X is local network address of ur NAS. Being on a NAS this file will be available to your entire LAN.

Now you can access same file from your desktop, cell phone or any other device capable of communicating over TCP\IP,

Dear friend thank you for your suggestion but i don't want to access my NAS over Internet i just want to access it locally which is always possible but the main thing is I want to download torrent files without keeping the pc switched on i mean torrent downloader on the NAS
i know most NAS has this but to connect to Internet i have to use browser based login and have to keep that tab open till my browsing completes otherwise my connection terminate

BUt i have found alternatives for it two softwares one required Dot Net and another one need python script so is there any NAS which can used in this cases.

varkey

Journeyman
^ There is a shell script also available for ADL login -- Login Script to automatically connect to your Asianet Dataline Internet connection | Zyxware Technologies

I am using a modified version of the above on my GoFlex Net.

Top Bottom