Creating Media sesrver or NAS?

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
Dear Friends

I would like to attain some sugeestions from you people.I have planed to buy a Toshiba 32'' LCD from Ebay which coast about 19k with 3year warranty,
Now i want is to setup a home DLNA or simply a media server
I'm looking for a device that will do ALL of the following:
1. serve as a backup point for computer
2. Serve as a NAS for keeping my videos + music. I need to be able to access it from MAC and Windows
3. Be a media player that is capable of playing from internal HDD and from a remote location in the LAN,wifi,home network
4. Support WiFi (.g)
5.Bittorrent download

I got this suggestion from an internet forum that mac mini can do this all with some hack and all that i don't matter

my question is that can 2005 mac mini with p4 processor and 1gb ram can do that bcoz i don't want to spent more money on some device like it

i have found some thing that say will do all this on ebay here is its link
USB NAS FTP SAMBA Media uPnP BT Network Device Server (Rs. 8255)

will this work
please give me suggestion ASAP

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
2005 Mac Mini with a G4 processor (not P4) is a strict NO NO. You'll have to stick with an outdated version of Mac OS X or a non-mainstream Linux distro in that case. Windows won't work on G4 processors.

The device in the eBay link you have posted will work. But then by spending a bit more, you can build a small PC for the same purpose.

Have a look at this thread too: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/overclocking-show-off/145576-sam9s-nas-project-powered-unraid.html

OP
M

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
Dear friend i understand it

but media server supposed to run 24*7 so isn't it harmful to run desktop pc without climate control i mean AC
and if at all desktop is good then i don't like the bulkiness of it by serching net i found some cabinet mini ITX cabinet is it sufficent
please remeber i need WiFi and also connectivity to TV

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ PCs can run 24x7. It isn't harmful actually as low-end configurations run cool.

The choice is yours actually. it is you who has to decide depending on your requirement. :) Both ways are good enough.

Also have a look at this: GIGABYTE - Motherboard - BGA FT1 - GA-E350N-USB3 (rev. 1.0)

That mini-ITX motherboard has built-in AMD E-350 processor. Costs around Rs. 6000. Good for HTPC and download rigs. It very very power efficient. Not for performance though.

For Wifi, add a USB Wifi dongle. :)

OP
M

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
Dear Friend on some other post *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/138520-need-guidance-nas-setup.html

you have given option of

D-Link DIR-685 Xtereme N Wireless N Storage Router,

for HTPC and download purpose is it good for torrent download also

and one more thing it might be off topic the TV i want to buy is 32PB1 Toshiba 32''
but it only has usb no wifi,ether net

could you please suggest me a low coast cabinet also
and the mother board u told actually coast about 8000/-

maximum budget for device i like to spent is 10k so please could you tell some other low coast and efficient alternate
can i use usb to Ethernet adapters to connect server to tv

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dear Friend on some other post *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/networking/138520-need-guidance-nas-setup.html

you have given option of

D-Link DIR-685 Xtereme N Wireless N Storage Router,

for HTPC and download purpose is it good for torrent download also

and one more thing it might be off topic the TV i want to buy is 32PB1 Toshiba 32''
but it only has usb no wifi,ether net

could you please suggest me a low coast cabinet also
and the mother board u told actually coast about 8000/-

maximum budget for device i like to spent is 10k so please could you tell some other low coast and efficient alternate
well yes. a PC type NAS is expensive to build.

So, better go for something like D-Link DIR-685 Xtereme N Wireless N Storage Router. (I don't have idea about the price)

I think the Toshiba TV you mentioned doesn't support DLNA/UPnP. So, streaming videos from the NAS will not work.

No, this won't work.

OP
M

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
wat about

ZyXEL NSA210 Digital Media Storage Server 5406/-

ZyXEL NSA221 2-bay Network Attached Storage and Media server 8218/-

if buy any of them and buy a wifi router + modem router will it work

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ yes it will work completely fine.

But remember, for streaming media to the TV you need the TV to also support DLNA/UPnP.

OP
M

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
did you know anything about them and also what is the chepaest TV with DLNA/UPnP option any company as long as it have service centers in India

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
did you know anything about them and also what is the chepaest TV with DLNA/UPnP option any company as long as it have service centers in India
Check out "Smart TVs" from LG and Samsung.

LG 32LV3730 LED LCD TV - Full HD 1080p Smart LED TV - LG Electronics IN

This one should be around 35k - market price.

I also advise you to research more on this topic because personally speaking, I have only seen a such setup working. I haven't setup such setup myself yet. So, my knowledge is limited here.

OP
M

mnnueltuttu

Sharing is caring
could i ask one more question

is there any mac mini alternatives for pc and if i buy the latest mac mini i5 2.4GHz one can i play games like serious sam 2,midtown madness etc..

ico

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ those games will work fine on the latest Mac Mini. But the Mac mini is not worth 45,000. yup, that's the price - I think.

See, if you can find something like this if you want to spend less: ZOTAC ZBOX AMD E-350 APU 1.6 GHz Dual Core Barebone Mini-PC [ZBOX-AD02-U]

pluey

Right off the assembly line
I just found Synology DS212j, which seams to fit your needs.

From the video, its Download Station is easy to use! Besides searching torrents for you, you can even schedule your downloads.

It also has a variety of features, like media server, backups, etc. It also works with a MAC, a PC, and has apps for smartphones. Not sure what the street price is.

Top Bottom