crashing windows explorer...need alternate software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
I don't remember when exactly the frequent crashing of windows explorer started, after the installation of SP3 or even before that. It crashes every few minutes. I am using Dell laptop running on XP and has 1GB RAM. I often get a message saying explorer is closed to prevent data execution. I even tried to disable the data execution prevention on explorer. I have updated my software, anti-spyware and have a big array of such softwares. There are no malwares detected on my system. I am so bugged by this that if I can 't find a solution to this, I might as well use an alternative to it.
Any idea what is going wrong here?

Can anyone suggest a free alternative to windows explorer?

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
1)Check whether ur RAM has any loose contact or dust probs.clean it once manually...............if u brought a new one check whether the speed matches the maother board

2)Make sure the CPU paste is not exhausted....u can know by jus checking ur CPU temp in bios.........the temp shouldn't reach upto 60 deg within 10 min or less

3)Try reinstalling ur XP or Formats ur sys

also

Try
*www.simplehelp.net/2006/10/11/10-windows-explorer-alternatives-compared-and-reviewed/

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Please note that the windows OS is not crashing, it is only the windows explorer that is crashing. The system does not hang or freeze otherwise, it is only the explorer.

Also I recently formatted and reinstalled OS (10 days ago).

mrintech

Technomancer
* Clean ur system RAM
* Scan ur PC with following combination: *tech-baby.co.cc/2008/09/13/best-combination-of-security-freewares-for-home-users
* Uninstall SP

* Worst Scenario: Format PC :D

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
Do a virus scan or post Hijack This log here.

@gopi and mrintech- He's using a Dell lappy. So he can't remove and clean the RAM.

imageek

Journeyman
ther are many explorers out ther....the most awaited one is cairoshell (cairoshell.com)

try this "sfc /scannow" at the command prompt to chk for invalid/missing system files

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Thanks for response, I installed free commander and I found it OK, but I still miss the feel, look and functionality of windows explorer. I am also eagerly looking for cairoshell, hopefully it would be a freeware.

I have all updated softwares avast antivirus, spybot S&D, Ashampoo antispyware, windows defender, Calmwin antivirus....all updated and scanned. Nothing was found! I even scanned for rootkits...yet nothing....I don't know if these have failed to detect it or there is something hidden to all these.

The system has been formatted and windows installed recently (last month), so I am not going to do it all over again until someone shows me why.

Removing RAM physically in laptop is not an option. If system crashes frequently, I could have thought of that but in this case, it is only the windows explorer. This is a major nuisance. Each time it crashes I send the error report to Microsoft so that they might know what is wrong and hopefully include a solution in their next update/patch.

I ask a question here...if I boot in safe mode and it doesn't crash...what could it possibly mean?

P

paroh

Try shexview and right click and disable selected item. and when u know which selected item causing the problem only disable that one and enable all other

afonofa

Journeyman
Are you using more than 1 antivirus and 1 antispyware for real time protection? Use only Avast and Windows Defender for real time protection and the rest for on-demand scans.

dheeraj_kumar

Legen-wait for it-dary!
I ask a question here...if I boot in safe mode and it doesn't crash...what could it possibly mean?

Simple, it means there is something loading with windows, that crashes explorer. I would recommend you to reinstall windows. Post your HijackThis log for kicks.

OP
Sridhar_Rao

Sridhar_Rao

In the zone
Avast, windows defender and Ashampoo provide real-time scanning. Spybot S&D, and Calmwin provides on-demand scanning. so is what I think..
Ok guys, here is the hijackthis log....let me know what you find significant.

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.2
Scan saved at 6:33:03 AM, on 9/24/2008
Platform: Windows XP SP3 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v7.00 (7.00.6000.16705)
Boot mode: Normal
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\csrss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MsMpEng.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\ZcfgSvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2\AntiSpyWareService.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\SearchIndexer.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\alg.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
C:\WINDOWS\stsystra.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe
C:\Program Files\COMODO\Memory Firewall\cmf.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxsrvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe
C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2\AntiSpyWare2Guard.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rundll32.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\explorer.exe
C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2\AntiSpyWare2.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\mscorsvw.exe
C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\ClamWin.exe
C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\clamscan.exe
C:\Documents and Settings\Myself\My Documents\HiJackThis.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\wmiprvse.exe
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = about:blank
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = *go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = *go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = *go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = *go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=69157
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,Default_Page_URL = www.google.com/ig/dell?hl=en&client=dell-usuk&channel=us
O2 - BHO: Adobe PDF Reader Link Helper - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Spybot-S&D IE Protection - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll
O2 - BHO: SSVHelper Class - {761497BB-D6F0-462C-B6EB-D4DAF1D92D43} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O2 - BHO: Browser Address Error Redirector - {CA6319C0-31B7-401E-A518-A07C3DB8F777} - C:\Program Files\BAE\BAE.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Google - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - c:\program files\google\googletoolbar2.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxtray] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxhkcmd] C:\WINDOWS\system32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [igfxpers] C:\WINDOWS\system32\igfxpers.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SigmatelSysTrayApp] stsystra.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSPM Startup] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\isuspm.exe" -startup
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ISUSScheduler] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\InstallShield\UpdateService\issch.exe" -start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Memory Firewall] "C:\Program Files\COMODO\Memory Firewall\cmf.exe" -s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [COMODO Firewall Pro] "C:\Program Files\Comodo\Firewall\CPF.exe" /background
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [avast!] C:\PROGRA~1\ALWILS~1\Avast4\ashDisp.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] "C:\Program Files\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe" -hide
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AntiSpyWare2Guard] C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2\AntiSpyWare2Guard.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [BluetoothAuthenticationAgent] rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl,,BluetoothAuthenticationAgent
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ctfmon.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ClamWin] "C:\Program Files\ClamWin\bin\ClamTray.exe" --logon
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\1.2.1128.5462\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'SYSTEM')
O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [DWQueuedReporting] "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\MICROS~1\DW\dwtrig20.exe" -t (User 'Default user')
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: &ieSpell Options - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLOPTION.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Check &Spelling - res://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll/SPELLCHECK.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O8 - Extra context menu item: Lookup on Merriam Webster - file://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\Merriam Webster.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Lookup on Wikipedia - file://C:\Program Files\ieSpell\wikipedia.HTM
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_07\bin\ssv.dll
O9 - Extra button: ieSpell - {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell - {0E17D5B7-9F5D-4fee-9DF6-CA6EE38B68A8} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: ieSpell Options - {1606D6F9-9D3B-4aea-A025-ED5B2FD488E7} - C:\Program Files\ieSpell\iespell.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - (no file)
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Spybot - Search & Destroy Configuration - {DFB852A3-47F8-48C4-A200-58CAB36FD2A2} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @xpsp3res.dll,-20001 - {e2e2dd38-d088-4134-82b7-f2ba38496583} - C:\WINDOWS\Network Diagnostic\xpnetdiag.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {D27CDB6E-AE6D-11CF-96B8-444553540000} (Shockwave Flash Object) - *fpdownload2.macromedia.com/get/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab
O23 - Service: Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2 Service (AASW2_Service) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\Ashampoo\Ashampoo AntiSpyWare 2\AntiSpyWareService.exe
O23 - Service: avast! iAVS4 Control Service (aswUpdSv) - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\aswUpdSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Antivirus - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Mail Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashMaiSv.exe
O23 - Service: avast! Web Scanner - ALWIL Software - C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashWebSv.exe
O23 - Service: Comodo Application Agent (CmdAgent) - COMODO - C:\Program Files\COMODO\Firewall\cmdagent.exe
O23 - Service: EvtEng - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\EvtEng.exe
O23 - Service: Kodak Camera Connection Software (KodakCCS) - Eastman Kodak Company - C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O23 - Service: NICCONFIGSVC - Dell Inc. - C:\Program Files\Dell\QuickSet\NICCONFIGSVC.exe
O23 - Service: RegSrvc - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\RegSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Spectrum24 Event Monitor (S24EventMonitor) - Intel Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\S24EvMon.exe
O23 - Service: WLANKEEPER - Intel® Corporation - C:\Program Files\Intel\Wireless\Bin\WLKeeper.exe
--
End of file - 9484 bytes

cooldudie3

Boom Boom Boom
Are you using more than 1 antivirus and 1 antispyware for real time protection? Use only Avast and Windows Defender for real time protection and the rest for on-demand scans.
Avast really can't do the job. Use Kaspersky or NOD32 to be your antivirus. Windows Defender is ok, but try Ad-Aware or Spybot Seearch and Destroy.
Windows Explorer is 25% of the system. If you end the explorer.exe process in task manager your desktop will be gone. So try to reinstall Windows.

afonofa

Journeyman
Avast, windows defender and Ashampoo provide real-time scanning.
Windows Defender usually co-exists happily with other real time scanners, but still try turning off Ashampoo's real time scanner. Try uninstalling windows desktop search. Since you already have such a vast array of software, you can also add SuperAntiSpyware to that list :D. Its available in a free version. The free version doesn't have realtime protection, which is not a problem because its realtime scanner is slooowww.

If you experience any new problems, you can re-enable them, otherwise you can safely disable these from startup using Spybot S&D:
hkcmd.exe
igfxpers.exe
igfxtray.exe
ctfmon.exe (cant disable this, have to remove it if you don't want it)
mscorsvw.exe (start > run > services.msc > set .Net Runtime Optimization service to manual)

Find the startup entry for dwtrig20.exe in the registry and delete it. Its not required. If Comodo alerts you about dwtrig20.exe or some other program trying to add dwtrig20.exe to startup, then deny that.

IE > tools > manage add-ons > disable acrobat add-on. Its not required. Unless you know you need them, you can also disable the java and 'diagnose connection problems' add-on.

There are other stuff which I'm not sure are required to be running, like googletoolbarnotifier.exe and what is DLG.exe? Is it essential? If not try disabling it

If Calmwin is on-demand only, then there is no need for its processes to be running. Unless you were doing a on-demand scan, you should disable it.

Are you using any windowsblinds theme?

You can also just turn off DEP completely.
Avast really can't do the job. Use Kaspersky or NOD32 to be your antivirus. Windows Defender is ok, but try Ad-Aware or Spybot Seearch and Destroy.
No doubt about it. The free version of Avast can't compare with KAV or EAV. But he is using freeware and between Avast and Calmwin(which I dont know much about) Avast is the logical choice. Spybot S&D's real time TeaTimer protection is starting to get old. I'm not sure if it will go well with Comodo firewall's HIPS.

mrintech

Technomancer
AD Aware and S & D are good but I must say scan ur PC with Spyware Terminator and a-Squared With latest definition updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom