evil_maverick

Journeyman
hey ppl!!
my config--
mobo-msi k8ngm2il
pro--amd 64 3200+ 939 pin venice core
512 megs
80 gb hdd

i cranked my fsb to 240 (default is 200.9)
will it damage my system?
the system is wrking fine!!
plz advice

Rollercoaster

-The BlacKCoaT Operative-
nah 240 is kool

what is the multiplier? i guess 10. so ur new CPU speed should be 2.4Ghz

i have a64 3000+ default fsb=200, Multi is 9x. i have it OCed to 289 fsb x 9= 2.6GHZ :-D that too on stock cooling.... max temp 59 normal 48...

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
First check what is the memory speed.....coz when the base clock in increased all clock on the mobo will increase........
Have u locked the PCI/AGP....33/66
Make sure the southbridge is locked also.....
Also..as i said....the memory speed will also increase....so not only u r processor is overclocked but u r memory is too!!

And to check stability use Prime95 ''Torture Test''

Just speed is not everything.....so run some benchs at stock and at oc...then u willl come to know how much performance did u gain,.....
But i have a doubt about the performance increase..coz u r memory may be the bottleneck

Last edited:

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
1) You have oced your machine. Do you even know what it is? If you have the right hardware and do ocing with care and all proper measures most of the time, practically almost all the time nothing goes wrong. But if you don't keep these things in mind you can destroy your pc and warranty.

2)OC destroys warranty, to get warranty you need to reduce it to stock settings, bios default then get the RMA.

3)Your cpu should be ok for oc. Don't know of mobo, what ram modules do you have? What power supply do you have?

4)Who did the oc?

5)Does your mobo have pci e, pci etc locks.

6)What else did you change?

7)Run:
Super Pi 1M test
Super Pi 32M test
Prime 95, 12hrs continous stress test

If you comp passes all this without any errors and all then there is no problem. Else there can be.

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
the sys is booting up.....nicely...
and the memory is running at 240 mhz(default 200 mhz)
and how do i run these tests like Super Pi 1M test etc?
even though my sys is booting up nicely does it still mean that it might get sum probs coz of the co??
yeah 1 more thing..
the nbridge and sbridge frequencies r set to 1000 mhz

Last edited:

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
I don't think u r memory will be able to handle 240 MHz i.e 480 MHz unless it is UCC chips ....Bring the speed down and then go again starting from 333MHz.....or u will fry them...

Download Prime 95 and select Torture test and let it run for a few hrs...And keep monitoring the temps...

the nbridge frequencies r set to 1000 mhz

The Athlon 64 s don't have a northbridge.....

Also...the procey u have can run at 2.8-2.9GHz if u have good memory....

Last edited:
OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
......well......i hv been using my sys for long hrs with the cranked up fsb.....the temp is staying normal......and everythin seems ok.....but is there still a danger that i may fry my ram???

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
If u want to overclock do it the right way!!!
First lock the PCI bus.....
Then set the memory clock to 333MHz and then start increasing the FSB...at every 20MHz check for stability,,,and also keep checking the ram clock a oc of 10MHz is ok for cheap ram but not 80MHz!!
Which ram do u have??
Also I don't think u r getting max out of u r processor even at stock speed coz the memory is the bottleneck...

OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
hey sam......
i did it.......
u may say am a lil careless....but.....
i cranked the fsb to 240!!
(u may say am stupid!!)
the cpu frequency went upto 2.4 ghz...
the ram frequency went to 240 mhz.....
everything is stable.....i am wrkin on my sys for 4 hrs at a stretch now,the temp is fine....around 37-44 celcius......
and am using zion ram(abacus php)....
thats it.....
so what do u say?
is it risky?
should i keep it like this or not?
n i more thing usaid that my memory is the bottle neck....so should i add 1 more 512 stick?

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
very risky, you could have damaged your system.

Read some amd 64 oc guides.

Also ,download super pi, run 1M test and 32M test. Then run 12hr+ of prime 95 stress test and memtest for about 10-12hrs.

If all is well, then you should be well, have a look at temps that time

memory bottleneck doesn't mean size here. Anyway reduce your ram speed to 333 and you should be able to do 2.6 or so provided you have right cooling, cpu, psu etc

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
Overclocking nothing but over-volting or increasing the power..........
The southbridge is the chip on the mobo than controller the SATA\PATA......the nothbridge is not included in the athon64 system.....

@evil_maverick :I don't think zion will be able to handle 480MHz....so what I suggest is that....

Restore the FSB to 200MHz.....then bring down the clock to 333MHz/266MHz.....then again increase the FSB.....so the memory clock wiill be near 400MHz and not 480MHz.......that wiil be a safe oc..

To check the stability normal use is not enough ,....

Downlad Prime 95 from *www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

And torture test u r system for a few hrs.....

Also adding another 512MB stick would be a great idea.....so do it get it..........if u can ....

Make sure u have locked the PCI at 33MHz....and PCIe also ...

Last edited:
OP
evil_maverick

evil_maverick

Journeyman
thanx ppl!!
and can u suggest what brand of ram shud i get?
i guess corsair wud be great!!
but how much more do i need to shell out for a corsair 512 stick??

samrulez

Cyborg Agent
No use adding another Corsair module.....U will have to get 2 Corsair modules.....
For corsair Value Select 512X2 kit costs about 5k......
Sell the old Zion module ans get a new Corsair Value Select kit

But if u r on a tight budget then get Transcend Ram with Samsung UCCC chips or Hynix D43 chips....they R highly overclockeble....

akshayt

Wise Old Owl
corsair value select might not be that expensive.

please see your mobo manuals.

ram : 333

cpu, increment in 5mhz to fsb until it doesn't boot. Then increase your voltage by 0.0125 or 0.025. Try again. Make sure you have proper cooling and try to remain under full prime 95 load under 60C, preferably under 55C.
Try with multiplier 9x as well. Read oc guides.

If possible don't give a v core of more than 1.5, but again there are people who may even give 1.6-1.7, it might not be that saef though with any cooling maybe.

Anyway, for serious oc, get better cooling, a branded and good one

Last edited:

janitha

Wise Old Owl
akshayt said:
corsair value select might not be that expensive.

please see your mobo manuals.

ram : 333

cpu, increment in 5mhz to fsb until it doesn't boot. Then increase your voltage by 0.0125 or 0.025. Try again. Make sure you have proper cooling and try to remain under full prime 95 load under 60C, preferably under 55C.
Try with multiplier 9x as well. Read oc guides.

If possible don't give a temp of more than 1.5, but again there are people who may even give 1.6-1.7, it might not be that saef though with any cooling maybe.

Anyway, for serious oc, get better cooling, a branded and good one

?
You meant V core?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom