CPU Overheating

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
My CPU is overheating, running idle at 60C on stock cooler (no OC) & refuses to play games or shuts down in the middle.

Will re-applying Thermal Paste fix it or do I need a different cooler or could it be some other reason ?

In case its the TIM, can you please post some links to buy online preferably 750 Rs or lower ? Also something to remove the existing one ?

I can't find anything on Flipkart , also can't find the ones mentioned ain Overheating Problems Sticky thread on Snapdeal.

CPU - i5 2500
MoBo - Asus P8z68 V Pro
Case - Cooler Master Elite 310

Should I buy this from here?

Deepcool Z9 Thermal Paste 3.0g price in india Rs.590. Buy Deepcool Z9 Thermal Paste 3.0g online : Theitdepot.com Should I buy this from here?

I read about 99% isopropyl alcohol to clean the old stuff , what is that & where can you buy that from ?

Thanks in advance

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Thats way to high for a Non OC CPU at Idle. Mine runs at nimble 32 Deg Idle with 25 Deg Ambient.

Whats your ambient Temp
Which Cooler you use? Is it working? (Sry to ask but temps are way to high)
Is Cabinet properly ventilated?

That Thermal Paste is decent. You can use alcohol or acetone. But with acetone make sure you remove cpu from motherboard as it may damage some plastics. Acetone is available with any beauty shop under nail polish remover. I use it only.

OP
G

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Hi,

Last night played Watch Dogs for 30 minutes and no crashes, I thought everything was good... But in the middle I alt-tabbed out to check temperatures & saw this.

Check the core temperatures, Surprised that PC didn't turn off but ran quite smoothly.

*i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t627/GenLibeb/Temps_zps587eaa4d.jpg

I never ran any temp check software before this week so, I'm not sure if the problem existed from before and has got bad now .

[MENTION=28803]Tech_Wiz[/MENTION]

Whats your ambient Temp - Not sure which one that is, Putting up a screenshot here.
Which Cooler you use? Stock cooler that came with the CPU
Is it working? Yes, The fans are working. I cleaned it for dust 2 days before but there isn't much improvement.
Is Cabinet properly ventilated? Not sure. I didn't add anything extra to improve air flow.. But well even if I keep it open in front of AC the temperatures stay high so I think might not be the reason.

This screenshot was taken just now after starting PC and nothing else running.
Not as bad as on Wednesday on idle but probably still oh the higher side.

*i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t627/GenLibeb/idle-temps_zpseaf70163.jpg

You can use alcohol or acetone. But with acetone make sure you remove cpu from motherboard as it may damage some plastics. Acetone is available with any beauty shop under nail polish remover. I use it only.

Are you saying, use nail polish remover to remove thermal Paste ?

Do you think there can be other reasons for high temperatures other than thermal paste/cooling ?

Thanks

Last edited:

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Hi,

Are you saying, use nail polish remover to remove thermal Paste ?

Do you think there can be other reasons for high temperatures other than thermal paste/cooling ?

Thanks

Strictly use Isopropyl Alcohol only to remove Thermal paste. It will be available in your local pharmacy for nearly Rs 70. A good thermal paste generally helps a lot in cooling.

OP
G

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
Strictly use Isopropyl Alcohol only to remove Thermal paste. It will be available in your local pharmacy for nearly Rs 70. A good thermal paste generally helps a lot in cooling.

Thanks, I will buy that.

As for TiM you can use Noctua NT-H1or Arctic Silver 5. There's a combo offer gong on at theitdepot where you get AS5 and Arctic cleaning solution around 850 bucks..

I wanted to avoid Arctic Silver right now based on what I read.

But before buying anything make sure your cpu fan is good

The cpu fan is working. I'm not sure if its efficient.

else better consider buying an after market cooler like Hyper 212 x.

Any recommendation for another cooler that's not tower based ? I don't think Hyper 212 will fit in my Cabinet Cooler Master CM 310.

Though I'll try resetting current cooler with new TiM & hope that it solves the problem.

60 Deg Under load is OK temp. Install Core Temp and post screen shot.

Which one are you looking, I was checking Core #0, Core#1, Package temperatures under i5 2500k.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
Cooler Master: Elite 310

Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO

It Will Fit.

Hyper 212 EVo Height = 159 mm
Allowed in 310 = 167 mm

- - - Updated - - -

*www.flipkart.com/antec-a40-cooler/p/itmdtpehfyudjvbg?pid=COLDTPEGZC9CFXGH&srno=b_21&ref=4d75fc8d-92bd-4317-8d65-6da77a4f937d

This will also Fit. It has 131mm Height.
*www.antecindia.co.in/product.php?id=NzA0NDE0

seamon

Superhuman Spambot
Thanks, I will buy that.

I wanted to avoid Arctic Silver right now based on what I read.

Avoid Arctic Silver V.
I had worse temps with it than stock.
Personally I prefer IC Diamond but that is very expensive to get in India.
See if you can Arctic MX4.
(PS Arctic Silver and Arctic are different companies altogether)

OP
G

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
60 Deg Under load is OK temp. Install Core Temp and post screen shot.

Here's it with just firefox running with TDF.
*i1317.photobucket.com/albums/t627/GenLibeb/Core-Temp_zps92ead0fa.jpg

Cooler Master: Elite 310

Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO

It Will Fit.

Hyper 212 EVo Height = 159 mm
Allowed in 310 = 167 mm

Where are you seeing 167mm ? On the overview tab at the bottom ?

On the Specs tab its written - Maximum Compatibility - CPU cooler height: 155mm

---------------
I can't find Arctic MX4 anywhere.

I've already placed an order on this one. I should receive it on 5th.
DeepCool Z9

This was another option I was looking for.
Cooler Master Extreme Fusion X1

Last edited:
OP
G

Gen.Libeb

Padawan
So any update on this ?

Sorry, I totally forgot about this.

I still have the overheating problem while gaming. I notice it more since I started playing Battlefield 4 from the last 2 days, I can't even make it an hour.
I am already using DeepCool Z9 but it hasn't helped at all.

Any thoughts on this ?
Cooler Master Hyper TX3 EVO Cooling Fan - Buy @ Best Price in India | Snapdeal

I see Cooler Master: Hyper 212 EVO is often recommended but I think it won't fit my cabinet and the other thing that cooler needs a backplate under the motherboard, & I don't wont to bother with that.

Could it be anything else apart from the cooler ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
IMO coolers which needs backplate mounting are the best but there's exception too. Anyway, check out DeepCool IceEdge 400XT.

Top Bottom