CPU and ambient temps TOO HIGH

Status
Not open for further replies.

kooki

Broken In
need help!!!!!
got a q6600, DG31PR mobo. 8600gt. zebronics marco cabi.
at normal state.
CPU-65-70C
Ambient temp- 60-65C.
anything intensive pushes the cpu to above 75-85C. even 90C
my HSF is installed properly. cables have been cleared out. the cpu was kept down in an area with no ventilation. i changed the position and still the temps were high. i opened one side of the cabinet for maximum ventilation and no change. have 1 side 120mm fan. 2 rear 45mm fans. not OC'D anything. using stock cooler. tried another stock cooler too. the temps wont go down.
whats wrong? is the cabi too small? the PSU of the zebronics marco.is at the back. and it takes in air from the top of the cabinet. but even after opening the side with the room ac on blowing cool air, the cpu and ambient temps stayed about 55-60c

OP
K

kooki

Broken In
using speedfan in windows to see the core temps. and the hardware monitor in the BIOS settings. both seem to show almost same temps. i disabled fan control too so that the fan spins at full. still no change :(

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
Sometimes old BIOSes show wrong temperature....my aBit IP35-Pro came with BIOS 10 and it never showed right temperature...after updating to BIOS 16 now i get "Seem to be right" temperatures...so in order to ensure this after switching off and unplugging try touching the HSF and see wether it is really hot or not....

amitash

Intel OCer
ambient temperature means room temperature so i dont think ur room temp is 60C!!!
as for the cpu monitor ur temps with coretemp and ten reply here...if its still showing high temps u might need to put some thermal paste on the heatsink...the stock heatsinks from intel are crappy with thermal pads and they are known to fail often...something like this used to happen to me on my stock cooler:cpu temps were 55C and on load they were 75+...now ive got the TRUE and idle temps wen OCd to 3Ghz are 35C and on load it is 48-49C (ambient 30)

OP
K

kooki

Broken In
the readings with BIOS, speedfan AND coretemp all come to the same amount. will the bios update help?? the ambient temp is at 62c now which is wayyy to high. cpu touched 75. i guess ill apply some thermal paste and give it a shot.

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah all the readings will be same coz they utilise the same sensors....in my case..the wolfdale(e8200) was new to my mobo...so it gave wrong readings....updating BIOS fixed it

OP
K

kooki

Broken In
ok i just updaed my BIOS.
the only difference i see is that what was the ambient temp is now changed to motherboard temp. but nothing else has changed. the temps are still in the late 60's and 70's.
i dont mind adding some thermal paste, but how will it help reduce the mobo temps?
cant add any more fans into the cabinet. all taken up. dont wanna change the cabinet, cuz i like it a lot. and cant get another HSF, already run outa my budget.
any other suggestions?

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
ok....apply the thermal paste.....but do one thing...go for a good one....Arctic Silver 5 is superb and comes for around 260-270 bucks.....and before applying clean the surface of HSF and CPU with lint and isopropyl alcohol or surgical spirit...and most importantly read the instructions on arctic silver 5z website...coz it is different for different processors...and if applied wrongly a thermal paste can lead to more higher tempz

hellgate

At Hell's Disq
do not apply excess of thermal paste.many ppl hav the idea that applying more paste will reduce temps further.but thi8s is not true.if applied beyond a certain amt thermal paste incs temps.

OP
K

kooki

Broken In
ok im gonna get some paste on monday. is it ok if i wipe the old paste off with a soft cloth? or should i apply a thin layer over the old paste? do i really need to remove the older paste? my system is barly 20 days old.
also something i dont get is, how will the paste help in reduce the ambient/mobo temps??? they are quite high too!

ionicsachin

Ambassador of Buzz
yeah...thats must....u must remove ur old paste first....and not only a cloth...u shud get isopropyl alcohol or "surgical Spirit"(available at medical stores) and clean the surface thoroughly(and gently)...and its not always the thin layer...read the paste suppliers website...in my case, in core 2 duo one has to make a thick line near the center if using Arctic Silver 5 and thats all......
and abt the mobo temperature, maybe if the core is getting heated up and the heat getting transmitted lolz....anyways.. try thermal paste and see

mayanksharma

Ambassador of Buzz
@kooki,
Alright, few things first! Do you know ur Q6600 revision? If yes...mention it. Try cleaning the cabby from inside, if its too dusty!
Secondly, it would be good if u can go for Arctic MX-5 paste along with an aftermarket cooler from Thermalright or Coolermaster.

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
@kooki,
Alright, few things first! Do you know ur Q6600 revision? If yes...mention it. Try cleaning the cabby from inside, if its too dusty!
Secondly, it would be good if u can go for Arctic MX-5 paste along with an aftermarket cooler from Thermalright or Coolermaster.

I'm assuming this is a B3. What else could it be with those temps?

Read the directions before applying your TC. I suggest AS5 as well.

OP
K

kooki

Broken In
i dont have the cpu box with me but CPUZ says : stepping-B. rivision- G0
so im guessing its G0 stepping. gonna get AS5 tomorrow and i already read the instructions on the site. will apply it in a day or 2 and post results. crossing fingers. hope it reduces the temps. cant get another cooler rite now. outa my budget. there is no dust inside. less than 20 days old. at first i thought it was the cabinet airflow, but i opened the side n checked, there was only 1 or 2 degree difference.

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
oh my god my system is running at:
CPU: 80-90C
AUX: 51-60C
Temp1: 83-90C

wht sud I do guys? anyway I m going add extra chasis fan.

OP
K

kooki

Broken In
ok i just got myself some coolermaster thermal paste. artic silver5 was not available with my dealer.
i applied a thin/medium layer on the HSF, the temps are still the same!. cpu temp is 71C and all 4 cores are above 75-80. ive givin up. what else can i do apart from changing the HSF and cabinet.
sigh :(

dhanusaud

Ambassador of Buzz
^^hehe...its a matter of cpu fan....
currently cpu fan in my office system is running @ 4400 RPM but on my home system cpu fan runs @ 30000 RPM. as office's system is PD2.8 GHZ & home's system is DC 1.8 Ghz.

as my office is fully ac but still system temp ready to bump:x....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom