Hey everybody!
I have a pc with the following specs
Intel i3 540
4gb ram
1TB + 320 GB HDD
Nvidia 9400 gt
Msi IONA motherboard
Beztec300w psu

I am planning to get the r7 240 1gb ddr5 boost gpu so I'm upgrading to the corsair vs450 smps my ups u has. Step approximated sine wave will the smps work fine?and is the smps good?

hitesh

In the zone
Yup you are good to go.
And try to get the single rail version instead of dual rail. It is much much better

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Strictly avoid VS. CM's GX series and Antec VP series are the way to go, but I am not sure of CM GX II so google out for GX II 450/400 reviews.

hitesh

In the zone
VS series is completely fine. Speaking from personal experience (more than 1.5 years of usage)

nickreynold

Journeyman
Hello. Why not spend a little more and get CX 430 V2. I have been using it almost a year or so. I think its good one too. Mine has a HD 7790 card and I think it works fine.

Nerevarine

Incarnate
For a low end GPU like r7 240, I dont see any reason why OP should go for anything more expensive than VS 450
Yes, it does have +22A rail but R7 240 will never use more than 15A, Heck, even a GTX 660 doesnt fully utilise +22A..I m running a HD 7770 on a VS450 without any problems for a year..
The only bad thing is it doesnt have 80Plus Bronze certification, but in this review, it performs quite close.. Im not a fanboy, i always recommend VP450P but why the hell would anyone spend more than 2.2k for a GPU that doesnt even need as much power..
If OP doesnt need to upgrade anytime in the future, you might wanna try VP350P also

OP
Detailer

Detailer

Broken In
I have bought the vs450 and im pretty satisfied with its performance the reason i did not go for the vp450 was budget i could not spend more than 2100 and by the way what does OP stands for?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
I have bought the vs450 and im pretty satisfied with its performance the reason i did not go for the vp450 was budget i could not spend more than 2100 and by the way what does OP stands for?

original poster. that is , the person who started the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

For a low end GPU like r7 240, I dont see any reason why OP should go for anything more expensive than VS 450
Yes, it does have +22A rail but R7 240 will never use more than 15A, Heck, even a GTX 660 doesnt fully utilise +22A..I m running a HD 7770 on a VS450 without any problems for a year..
The only bad thing is it doesnt have 80Plus Bronze certification, but in this review, it performs quite close.. Im not a fanboy, i always recommend VP450P but why the hell would anyone spend more than 2.2k for a GPU that doesnt even need as much power..
If OP doesnt need to upgrade anytime in the future, you might wanna try VP350P also

there are many things to consider. the wattage and amperage is not enough for selecting a psu. the internal components like caps and other parts matter. the longevity of the components matter. even the rating like gold ,silver etc does not matter. what matter is the amount of ripple a psu produce at its different rails.what if a psu produce ripples above the limit even if it is 80+ bronze/gold certified??. achieving everything is difficult .

hitesh

In the zone

It has 22A on both rail so effectively it is atleast 30-33A

Nerevarine

Incarnate
original poster. that is , the person who started the thread.

- - - Updated - - -

there are many things to consider. the wattage and amperage is not enough for selecting a psu. the internal components like caps and other parts matter. the longevity of the components matter. even the rating like gold ,silver etc does not matter. what matter is the amount of ripple a psu produce at its different rails.what if a psu produce ripples above the limit even if it is 80+ bronze/gold certified??. achieving everything is difficult .

you need to read the review i posted..

I quote

Pros

Excellent ripple suppression
Can deliver more than 450W
Plenty of connectors for an entry level product.
Decent soldering quality
Sleeved cables
Good looking
Affordable

The ripple was very well suppressed. In fact, below 250W load, most of the rails had single digit ripple figures. A few spikes started to show up on the 12V rail during test 4, pushing the ripple to just over 20mV, but they disappeared during subsequent tests. The 12V ripple didn’t come back up above the 20mV mark again until the overload test. On all of the other rails except for the -12V, the ripple stayed under 20mV at all times, which is an excellent result.
Anyway Im not saying this is a good PSU but when the PSU itself is about half the cost of the GPU, what do you suggest OP do ?

PS: Both CX and VS series use the same CapXon capacitors, whereas the Antec VP450p uses capacitors from different manufacturers (of higher quality ofc) Antec VP450p also uses CapXon

Last edited:

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
It has 22A on both rail so effectively it is atleast 30-33A

vs 450 has only one rail with 34A on it. the older model with 22A(it also had a single +12v rail )has been discontinued.

- - - Updated - - -

you need to read the review i posted..

I was mentioning psus in total, not just with a single psu,ie vs 450.

I am quoting for the same review

Some of the secondary side capacitors are made by Aishi, but most are from CapXon – a brand renowned for poor quality capacitors. Even in an entry level product, it surprises me that Corsair would be brave enough to use them, as I have had to fix plenty of devices with failed CapXon capacitors which weren’t very old. Even Teapo and OST capacitors are generally considered to be more reliable than CapXon.

As i said earlier, every factors are important. having good ripples is a good thing. but how long does that sustain with the use of such poor quality caps?? the longevity cant be ensured.

another comment from the author here *forums.hardwaresecrets.com/showthread.php?threadid=64558
he performance was acceptable (although not spectacular), but the secondary side caps do worry me a bit. Knowing CapXon, they will probably just make it through the 3 year warranty period, and die shortly after.

Anyway Im not saying this is a good PSU but when the PSU itself is about half the cost of the GPU, what do you suggest OP do ?

PS: Both CX and VS series use the same CapXon capacitors, whereas the Antec VP450p uses capacitors from different manufacturers (of higher quality ofc)

yeah it is ok.psu is almost at half the rate of the gpu. but remember it is the heart of your system. which of the following will you give more importance??
1)heart
2)noo. i did not get a word here for replacing gpu:(. but wont be an alternative to the option 1 either :D.

i would choose the heart, and will most people, i think. it is a matter of fact which depends on some one who selects it.some compromise may have to be done.

Top Bottom