core2 solo or core2duo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
hey guys,
i just bougght a rig a week back with e6300 cpu,now i tried benchmarking it using everest and sissoftware lite,now the benchmarks along with the over-all performance seemed remarklably low for core,and then,with a little button pressing with the benchmarks,i saw that mine showed the exact same performance(cpu arithmatic) as e6300 solo,but the sticker in my computer along with the box of the cpu says duo,i ran dxdiag and in the part where it describes the cpu,it just says core(TM)2......CPU 6300@1.86ghz(with the.....left blank)
how can i be sure if my cpu is solo or duo?i haven't paid yet but i'm going to in a very short while so please reply fast!!!
my mobo is gigabyte 945P-S3,does this have anything to do with it?.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
There is nothing like Core Solo for the desktop. It has to be Core 2 Duo. Anyways run CPU-Z to identify the code name. If it is Allendale, then the CPU is a Core 2 Duo.

OP
jz2linkinpark

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
you don't know what your talking about.
try running 'SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2007.SP1' ,then got to benchmark ane then to processor arithmetic,then look for core solo e6300 and e6400,you'll surely find it,
oh and i contacted my dealer and they are looking into the situation right now

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
umm!!! ok well i too am quite cnfused now a E6300 Solo :| havent heard about this
well here is a list of
Intel Core Solo

Core 2 Duo

and while you are at it how about Downloading the utility CPUZ ,take a screenshot of the 1st screen you get in CPUZ and post it here .

OP
jz2linkinpark

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
here you go
'Processors Map
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of processors 1
Number of threads 1

Processor 0
-- Core 0
-- Thread 0

Processors Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Processor 1 (ID = 0)
Number of cores 2 (1 core(s) disabled)
Number of threads 1 (max 2)
Name Intel Core 2 E6300
Codename Allendale
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 0h)
CPUID 6.F.6
Extended CPUID 6.F
Core Stepping B2
Technology 65 nm
Stock frequency 1866 MHz
Instructions sets MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4, EM64T
L1 Data cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L1 Instruction cache 2 x 32 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
L2 cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size
FID/VID Control yes
FID range 6.0x - 7.0x
max VID 1.213V'

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
Number of threads 1 (max 2)
Name Intel Core 2 E6300
Codename Allendale
Specification Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6300 @ 1.86GHz
Package Socket 775 LGA (platform ID = 0h)
L2 cache 2048 KBytes, 8-way set associative, 64-byte line size

duh!! oh!!! its a Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 why panic

well about performance you shouldnt really panic when comparing your rig with another set up because all those utilities have used the best in the business hardware which not every soul on earth can posess, simple hardware such as the HDD can very well affect your performance.

Umm!! by the way noticed this

i dont own a Dual core proccy so people with dual core proccys could maybe look up the above.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
jz2linkinpark said:
you don't know what your talking about.
try running 'SiSoftware Sandra Lite 2007.SP1' ,then got to benchmark ane then to processor arithmetic,then look for core solo e6300 and e6400,you'll surely find it,
oh and i contacted my dealer and they are looking into the situation right now
I said there's nothing like Core Solo for the desktop NOT the laptop. Obviously SiSoft Sandra is referring to the laptop processor here.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
jz2linkinpark said:
ya somethin seems gone wrong. Never seen like this in AMD dual cores. Better ask some guys with some intel dual cores whether they also gets the same thin like 1 core disabled.

PLZ post the screeshot. It would be much easier.

OP
jz2linkinpark

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
here are the images:
*img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cpu0mg1.png
*img148.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mainboard0sj3.png
so are there any dual-core intel users that can help me please?

Last edited:

techno_funky

da' Ťurntable ruleth
*www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802&p=2

[Edit:somethings acting up for me one time i see the pic one time i dont put up the link to the page rather.]

Image source:anandtech.com
Look at the above its a overclocked e6300 cpuz screenshot
but compare it with your screenshot in yours the core speed,fsb,bus speed and the processor selection do not show up.

The mobo does support your cpu, a dual core intel owner should really be roped in here dont know about the boards there days are there any bios settings for these new dual core proccys.

Last edited:
OP
jz2linkinpark

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
can anyone tell me how i can access the bios and then see whats really up with my proccy,and also enable the disabled core?
does anyone else use gigabyte GA-945P-S3 mobo and of so,does this problem occur in your computers?
P.S:where is the screenshot from anandtech?

Last edited:

john_the_ultimate

No pain....No gain
Don't know but see if this helps: *www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-341-1.htm U can get a good details about the feature of ur mobo.

OP
jz2linkinpark

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
hey doods!
managed to overclock to 2.1ghz,but can't manage the guts to go any further.(thanx for the review,john)
anyone discovered how i can enable the missing core?

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
DO u see two cpu utilization tabs in task manager???If then see if both cores are active.
Minimise task manager nd play some games nd come back nd see if both cores were utilizing or if the work was properly divided among cores. If yes then there should be no problem nd both of the cores are workin nd u need nor worry bout a core being disabled nd is sure a wrong info from the utility.

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Then surelly something is wrong nd one of the cores are disabled somehow.
see u should be able to see somethin like this:
*img425.imageshack.us/img425/1003/task1hi9.th.jpg

OP
jz2linkinpark

jz2linkinpark

Ambassador of Buzz
@:aravind_n20:i see something like that,after i press alt-tab while playing a game and then pressing ctrl-alt-del,but in the box 'totals' my 'handles is only 6555, my 'threads' is 396 and 'processes'is 28,surely some one must know how to re-enable the core!
@deathvirus_me: i think my mobo supports the proccy, cause in most reviews i read of the mobo,all of the core2duo proccys run in dual-core

dOm1naTOr

Wise Old Owl
Have u entered the bios? see if any advanced setting for the proccy there. Also try assigning optimised settings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom