Connecying 2 computers using crossover ethernet cables in Windows

Recently I thought of connecting my 2 computers using ethernet crossover cables. When I try to connect the 2 computers using WIndows XP, both the machines cannot identify any one. When using Windows 7 on one and Windows XP on the other, the Windows XP, identifies the network, but the Windows 7 does not.

But when I am using Ubuntu on one machine, and in the other any Windows OS(XP or 7), or viceversa, the network is identified by both the machines, and I can easily transfer files.

So why is it not hapenning in Windows?

P.S. Sorry for the typing error in the thread, cannot edit it unfortunately.

OP
P

paul.soumyabrata

Broken In
Why do I need to create a Homegroup? I am giving the settings manually in my LAN, in both the machines. It works for Ubuntu and Windows(7 and XP). Why not in Windows(7 / XP) and Windows(7 / XP).

I am just saying, isn't there other methods of doing that?

doomgiver

Warframe
because its the easiest and most pain-free way to do so, if you have a win 7 machine thats home premium and above.

kisame

King of Heroes
Make sure both of your computers are part of same WORKGROUP and you have given appropriate permissions to the files you want to share.

OP
P

paul.soumyabrata

Broken In
I have done that, and still the problem persists. I have tried all the possible alternatives and still no breakthrough!

Access between Ubuntu and Windows(XP/7), happens without any problem.

Top Bottom