Connecting laptop hd to desktop as OS drive

singleindian

Journeyman
hai everyone,
i have a old laptop hd with win xp installed.its 7 yrs old and working with no problems.how can i use this in desktop?i want to boot xp n my desktop.how do i connect it?

my pc config-i5 4440,gigabyte b85 mb,corsair ram and seasonic s12 ll psu

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your laptop HDD has sata interface just connect the HDD to motherboard's sata port using a sata cable .. that's all you need to do. If you want to know how to mount the HDD into 3.5 inch hdd bay then get a 2.5 to 5.5 inch HDD bracket and you are good.

patkim

Cyborg Agent
After it is installed go to bios and make sure it is set to NATIVE IDE mode. It shall work without any additional drivers in xp. You shall most likely need to reinstall xp on it if you wish to use it as os drive, as the earlier installed xp in your laptop will not load on your desktop.
drivers shall be needed if you wish to set it in AHCI mode when os is xp and could be available from motherboard company website.

OP
S

singleindian

Journeyman
After it is installed go to bios and make sure it is set to NATIVE IDE mode. It shall work without any additional drivers in xp. You shall most likely need to reinstall xp on it if you wish to use it as os drive, as the earlier installed xp in your laptop will not load on your desktop.
drivers shall be needed if you wish to set it in AHCI mode when os is xp and could be available from motherboard company website.
i dont have a install cd.i checked the gigabyte site.its said thr it support win 7/8.no mention of xp

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
even if you managed to install Xp you won't find drivers for hardware [ i5 4440+b85 ] so better install windows 7.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=289758]singleindian[/MENTION] - +1 to the above but if you choose linux there's lots of flavors and variants available to choose from in the vast world of Linux. Also if you want you may want to try out Linux Mint.

OP
S

singleindian

Journeyman
[MENTION=289758]singleindian[/MENTION] - +1 to the above but if you choose linux there's lots of flavors and variants available to choose from in the vast world of Linux. Also if you want you may want to try out Linux Mint.
OK, I have a Ubuntu cd. Whts different in mint?

Top Bottom