Connecting charger overnight

Hi, I have a Nokia X2-00 and I have vodafone 2g unlimited plan. Now, I want to download large files from cell phone. Till now, I only download in daytime, but now I'm thinking of keeping the download on overnight each night. Obviously, battery is the problem. If I keep the phone connected to the charges all night long, would it be harmfull for the phone or the battery?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Yes, very harmful to the overall battery capacity..
After 3-4 such nights you will see the difference..
better use ur pc for that

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Well, power consumption is the reason I cant use the pc all night (bill and environment issue). Any other solution?

Well, power consumption is the reason I cant use the pc all night (bill and environment issue). Any other solution?

Nerevarine

Incarnate
Do you have any external HDDs ? If so then consider getting a raspberry Pi or any 3k Router that has USB port and supports DDWRT download to HDD support..
Id suggest the router approach if you have a laptop and/or wifi phone

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
I don't have any wi fi device, on broadband. Only internet connection is the edge. Btw, I download stuff in phone whole day (with 1 to 2 hours break) and during the whole day, the phone is connected to charges. When using the phone for internet access on pc, it charges via the data cable. So ultimately, it's been charged >10 hours in daytime daily and there's just no effect on the battery life. The phone still survives 2 days with on heavy downloading. Maybe I'll need to make something to automatically turn off the charges after an hour and turn it on again after an hour and so on

Nerevarine

Incarnate
yeah but overcharging your phone WILL have a bad impact on battery life dude, i learnt it the hard way on both my laptop and phone

OP
harshilsharma63

harshilsharma63

DIY FTW!
Okay, so maybe I should download the large files in daytime and smaller ones in night. BTW the problem is that, if during downloading, the phone gets turned off, the download doesn't resume in UC browser.

AndroidFan

Peak Oil is real!
I have been putting my phone on a charger all night for many years now... and on multiple phones... ranging from Nokia, Samsung, Sony and LG... No negative effects on battery life whatsoever.

Lithium Ion batteries do not overcharge. They cannot overcharge...

Please see -- Top 3 Battery Myths! - YouTube

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
better use ur pc for that

What are you talking about. Those battery problems are a thing of the past. Contrary to my and several other's experience( see the thread below), today's batteries have a way of protecting themselves and there is no harm in keeping phone plugged in overnight.

Is it safe to keep your GS3 on charger all night? - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com.

One post in the above thread clarifies it all :

To the OP: Charge your device every night, if that's what pleases you. It's designed to last longest that way (i.e. will last you years instead of months) and will ensure that when you start your day, your device is topped off and ready to keep up with you. Studies I've read claim that a battery that is never allowed to drop below 50% will last 3 times longer over the years than a battery that is regularly drained to 0. Obviously it's not -bad- to let it drop to 0. It's just better to keep it from doing so. (Note, this is only true of the newer Li-Ion batterys found in cell phones. Older Ni-Cad batterys had that memory problem that is so infamous. Cell phone batteries do not)

yeah but overcharging your phone WILL have a bad impact on battery life dude, i learnt it the hard way on both my laptop and phone

I dont know why....but,there exists in this world, people like you ,who have a sickening habit of misinforming people deliberately for god-knows-what purpose.. You speak with great conviction ,citing false examples from your false personal experience. If it weren't for the bottom half of this thread, most people would have been convinced by your words. This thread has proved what a phoney u and ur opinions are...

As far as i can recall, overcharging of cellphone batteries ended from the time Nokia S40 phones rolled out in the late 1990s (Nokia 2 series was Ni-Mh and Ni-Cd)and for laptops, i think the Windows Me equiped IBM laptops so thats like late 1990s too.

RohanM

Cyborg Agent
Overnight charging only harms Galaxy S3 as it triggers the "Sudden Death" issue in it.
Other handsets will be just fine. So stop the Baloney.

Last edited:

theserpent

Firecracker to the moon
better use ur pc for tha
t

This is the biggest myth ever, Nothing happens
Please see marqiue brownies youtube channel

Some myths
You need to calibrate your battery
You need to do 100% to 0% discharges to get good battery life
You need to charge your phone 8 hours for the first time

^ All the above are false

Advice to avoid battery damage-- Dont use the phone when its hot.

That means when plugged in and heavy gaming for continuous periods. I made my Samsung Galaxy Ace battery swell twice. Used to plug it and play online games over wifi for 3,4,5 hours non stop.. Phone used to heat up so much i used to keep the back cover off most of the time,hoping to cool down the battery.

srkmish

Ambassador of Buzz
Advice to avoid battery damage-- Dont use the phone when its hot.

That means when plugged in and heavy gaming for continuous periods. I made my Samsung Galaxy Ace battery swell twice. Used to plug it and play online games over wifi for 3,4,5 hours non stop.. Phone used to heat up so much i used to keep the back cover off most of the time,hoping to cool down the battery.

+1. I used to use my phone while plugged in as a hotspot and downloading heavy stuff. After a day, the battery swelled up i think and the phone refused to start. Once the battery cooled down, i was able to start the phone.

So, charging overnight isn't bad. But charging overnight while downloading files could be bad. Is this correct?
yup..in fact doing any strenuous task on your phone while plugged in, is bad.
By strenuous it means downloading, gaming, running benchmarks and any task which heats the phone.

So, charging overnight isn't bad. But charging overnight while downloading files could be bad. Is this correct?
yup..in fact doing any strenuous task on your phone while plugged in, is bad.
By strenuous it means downloading, gaming, running benchmarks and any task which heats the phone.

Top Bottom