Connecting an extra monitor to a laptop for seperate powerpoint display

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Operating System - Windows XP.
MS Office 2007

I use my laptop for internet surfing and for printing using MS Word. Not heavy computing (processor centrino duo, 14 inch screen).

I want to connect a separate wall-mounted > 17 inch monitor (please suggest which one) in an adjacent room which should display a single powerpoint presentation, while I routinely work on my laptop.

Query - Is it possible to connect an extra wall-mounted moniter to my laptop? Can it display powerpoint slide while i work on routinely on my laptop? Is this feature inbuilt in OS / Powerpoint or do I need to connect some extra hardware, like a switch or something?

Thank you

joy.das.jd

Journeyman
Yes it is very much possible to connect an extra monitor to your LAPTOP and use it as an extended desktop. You can do work two different works on two screens. This feature is inbuilt in the system OS. You do not need any other extra hardware.

IMO, you should get a DELL U2311H monitor (wall mounting KIT has be bought extra) and connect your laptop to it. The monitor will cost you @14K.

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Thanks joy. Could you please elaborate how do I achieve this? Where is such option? Through powerpoint or from somewhere else?

What is the maximum size of screen available for a reasonable cost? I wont mind investing a bit more for a bigger screen than Dell U2311H.

joy.das.jd

Journeyman
@a_medico

On most of the dell laptops an extended desktop can be made by pressing (Fn+F4) or (Fn+F7). But you will have to give the exact model number and make for of the laptop to be sure. Also you can go to the desktop properties and change the different parameters of the two desktops.

IMO dell 2311 H is a very good price vs performance balanced monitor. Its an superb IPS panels (colours are very good and accurate), has multiple inputs (VGA, DVI, Display Port) and Full HD resolution (1080p). If you opt a larger screen , then I think samsung has some 27 inch screens. But I do not have any idea for the price of the same. I think you can also get some 26 inches LCD TV at around 25K mark. That can also be used as a screen for PC.

But my recommendation is get the DELL u2311H. You will not regret it.

OP
a_medico

a_medico

Chillum Baba
Thanks Joy. Very valuable input. I will soon try this out and let you know.

My laptop is Dell Inspiron E1405 (14 inch).

Top Bottom