Connecting a PC to Mac??? HELP!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mario_pant

In the zone
Hi guys…
I need some help. I’ve got a Mac OS X ibook G4 and a pentium4 winxp PC… both have an internal modem and USB ports… so I have my entire music collection on my Mac at iTunes…. Now I can burn discs and transfer the music but it will be too slow and frustrating so can u ppl please tell me the correct way on how to connect both my machines… the total music is around 2.3GB in mp3 format…another thing…. If I am successful in transferring the music files…. Will there be any quality loss? Please specify the cables that would be required and the software required for the purpose… PLEASE HELP!!!!! ^-^
-MP
PS: ahem..... i'm talking about NON-wireless ie, with wires......

D

Deleted member 5901

asK FOR A USB 2 USB DATA CABLE !!! U SHOULD BE ABLE TO TRANSFER DATA THEN !!!!

I WOULD'NT KNOW IF ANY SOFTWARE IS REQUIRED !!!!

AND " NO " THERE WON'T B ANY LOSS IN QUALITY !!!!

cHEERS !!!

goobimama

 Macboy
I too have the exact same config. Doesn't the mac have an ethernet port? All I had to do was connect it using normal networking cable (dunno what its called) and transfer as I wanted. Only thing was that the windows PC didn't recognise the mac. But from the mac, I could dump and retrieve files to and from the windows hard disk.

Try it out. It detects almost without any trouble.

mail2and

Walking, since 2004.
@goobi... u can creat a workgroup for windows to recognize mac...

go to Applications/Utilities/Directory Access.... there in SMB enter the name of the workgroup of ur windows network.

Now Go to System Preferences/Sharing and enable Windows and Personal File Sharing

from ur windoze pc... go to Start/Run and type //192.168.0.1/shortname

assuming 192.168.0.1 is the ip add of ur mac and shortname is ur account's short name...

for checking ur account's short name.. go to Sys Pref/Accounts.. and u'll get it there ;)

Funny nuff.. on a mac u just need to enter smb://192.168.0.x and ur there :p

OP
mario_pant

mario_pant

In the zone
umm...... do u guys go searching in the "back" for such mails?....
this problem was solved in may itself and even if u guys posted the reply dont u think u were a bit tooooooo lazy to make it sooooo damn late?

I too have the exact same config. Doesn't the mac have an ethernet port? All I had to do was connect it using normal networking cable (dunno what its called) and transfer as I wanted. Only thing was that the windows PC didn't recognise the mac. But from the mac, I could dump and retrieve files to and from the windows hard disk.

Try it out. It detects almost without any trouble.

@goobi... u can creat a workgroup for windows to recognize mac...

go to Applications/Utilities/Directory Access.... there in SMB enter the name of the workgroup of ur windows network.

Now Go to System Preferences/Sharing and enable Windows and Personal File Sharing

from ur windoze pc... go to Start/Run and type //192.168.0.1/shortname

assuming 192.168.0.1 is the ip add of ur mac and shortname is ur account's short name...

for checking ur account's short name.. go to Sys Pref/Accounts.. and u'll get it there Wink

Funny nuff.. on a mac u just need to enter smb://192.168.0.x and ur there Razz

yah guys..... did teh same thing that time..... i can tell u that it was just outta instinct....
um.... goobi.... the cable is called an RJ-11 cable....

goobimama

 Macboy
didn't realise that your post was in may...

Anyway, because of my lack of sight in seeing dates, I found out a way to see my mac on the PC (still have to try though..)

..and I don't know what cable it is..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom