Confused: Upgrade from Sempron to 960T or get Futureproof 64-bit Video editing FX8150 [CPU+Mobo]?

sidhraj

Broken In
I already have a following system

1. AMD Sempron 140 Sargas Socket AM3 2.7Ghz (Single core)
2. ASUSTeK Motherboard M2N68-AM Plus (AM2)
3. Graphics Card: Galaxy NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS [512MB]
4. 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 401MHz
Problem : Video editing is very slow
• I’ve been using this system for MS Office and gaming since late 2010. No problems so far.
• I want to use it for video editing, mostly 720p and 1090p HD videos- upload them on youtube.
• But whenever I try to edit HD videos, add captions or convert them using Adobe Premiere 10 or Cyberlink Powerdirector, it lags like hell, even a 2 minute video clip takes about 10 minutes to add the captions, split the clips to remove the redundant portions.
• I understand the problem is because of Single Core AMD Sempron and 512MB graphics card. This machine is not powerful enough for HD video editing.

I’ve two options
Option A: Upgrade from Sempron to Phenom 960T and get 2GB graphics card?
At present I’ve Sempron Single core 2.7Ghz CPU.
I checked the official ASUS webpage for motherboard M2N68-AM Plus, and the Supported CPU list,
ASUS - Motherboards- ASUS M2N68-AM PLUS
From above list, I think the best CPU my current motherboard can support is Phenom IIX4 960T.

AMD 3 GHz AM3 Phenom II 960T Price 7000
+a ATI Radeon HD6670 2 GB DDR3 Graphics Card around Rs.5000
So total cost of upgrading this system is Rs.12,000.
OR
So, At max I can invest around 12000 in upgrading this system.
If I’ve to throw more than 12k into this current rig, then I might just prefer to buy a new rig instead.
My questions on Option A:

1. Will this be sufficient for smooth HD-video editing? Most of my work would be around 10-15 Minutes 720p HD clips meant for Youtube.
  2. suggest a decent graphics card under Rs.6000 (preferred 2GB)
  3. Is CPU Phenom II 960T the best upgrade for my present system? Or is there any higher and better CPU that my motherboard M2N68-AM Plus can support?
  4. Any other suggestions that you would want to add, regarding graphic cards and stuff?
  5. Is this option “futureproof”, say for atleast 6 months? Otherwise, I just buy a new thing.
Option B: buy a total new rig (without Mouse,keyboard,speaker,moniter)
For that, let me fill up the form :)

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')

- Adobe Premiere Elements 10 for editing 720p and 1080p HD videos.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Less than 35,000 (don’t want moniter, speaker, keyboard, dvd writer)
and not interested in Intel items because that'll not be in my budget.
and I would be happy if I can work smoothly on Adobe Premiere just for 25-28k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: Nope.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win 7 64-bit.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: Already have 2TB External HDD with USB 3.0 support. So whatever raw video clips I’ve, I’ll transfer to and fro from that. So don’t want to invest a lot in bigger HD.
So, new rig should have either 500GB or 1TB – whichever keeps the budget low.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:
Don’t want to buy a new moniter. I already have an HCL moniter with 1300x768 screensize. And I don’t want to buy new moniter.
In future, I may buy a used moniter for the existing Sempron system. So that it can be used by my younger brother.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: I already have External DVD writer and I would prefer to wait and buy Blu-ray drive in future. Therefore I donot want
1. Internal DVD writer
2. Mouse
3. Keyboard
4. Speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: This weekend, I plan to visit the shops of Ahmedabad.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Assembler.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:
Ahmedabad. There are some good wholesalers, offering prices cheaper than Flipkart, plus immediate delivery.
11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:
Ya. Based on my research I’ve shortlisted a few specs. see this table screenshot

*img14.imageshack.us/img14/5522/pcspecconfused.png
[/URL]

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door
Re: Confused: Upgrade from Sempron to 960T or get Futureproof 64-bit Video editing FX8150 [CPU+Mobo]

take the fx 8150...it kicks ass in video encoding....should be around 9k ish...

OP
S

sidhraj

Broken In
Re: Confused: Upgrade from Sempron to 960T or get Futureproof 64-bit Video editing FX8150 [CPU+Mobo]

Yes my heart also wishes FX8150.

1. please suggest a decent Graphics card to use with this FX8150 system ? (max GPU-budget around Rs.6000.)

2. please tell me specific PSU (how many watts) for this rig and CPU cooler. (combined less than Rs.5000.)

3. Is Biostar TA990FXE futureproof for next 3 years? or should I move a bit higher in the Motherboard category? if yes then please suggest a model. (Max budget on motherboard =11k) Although I see some cool motherboards like Crosshair V and Sabertooth, but they'd up the total system's budget to almost 40k - psychological barrier for me!

thanks again.

OP
S

sidhraj

Broken In
8150 to 8120?

And how about downing the CPU from FX8150 to FX8120 and thus saving a few thousand rupees to take a higher Motherboard (around 11-13k) like
  1. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
  2. ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
  3. ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX

will that be a good idea?

sumonpathak

knocking on heavens door

^^it was 9kish....have to confirm though....
@OP..u have a PM :)

And how about downing the CPU from FX8150 to FX8120 and thus saving a few thousand rupees to take a higher Motherboard (around 11-13k) like
  1. Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD5
  2. ASUS P8Z68-V PRO
  3. ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX

will that be a good idea?

vpro is an intel motherboard...

Sainatarajan

Wise Old Owl

For the Graphic Card a 1 GB GDDR5 Graphics will Thrash the 2 GB DDR3 or 4 GB DDR3 .
The FX 8150 is a good Choice .

saikiasunny

Ambassador of Buzz

Fx 8150/ fx 8120.

gigabyte ga-970a-ud3, ga-990xa-ud3, asus m5a97 pro/evo, asrock 990fx extreme4, or any 970 or 990x based mobo. If you will not use multi-card setup in the future, you don't need a 990fx mobo.
The biostar mobo is a great budget oc board, but has its own shortcomings.

For gpu you can luk for 6670 ddr5, 6770, 7750. All cost about 5 to 6k.