Confused between Samsung Galaxy and N900 !

Kvishal

In the zone
Hi Guys,

I am confused between buying the Samsung Galaxy-S and the Nokia N900. Though I do not have any specific requirements. My only requirement is when I am surfing the internet and when I am visiting a website it should give me a great PC like viewing experience with equally good display and Picture Quality. Same if I want to use it to watch any movie or Video. I know the Galaxy would be more brighter. But how is the N900 in this aspect against the Galaxy?

Thanks

flickerman

Broken In
Never go for the Nokia N900. It has an inferior processor and an OS with less number of applications. Whereas the Samsung Galaxy S is going to get Android 2.2 Froyo. Android market has around 75000 apps. The phone has 1GHZ processor, 4.3 inch Super AMOLED display, multi-touch and very low price. The display itself is a reason to buy Samsung Galaxy S.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Get Samsung Galaxy S or get HTC Desire. If you can wait for sometimes, then wait for Motorola Milestone 2.

sakumar79

Technomancer
See Nokia N900 vs. Samsung I9000 Galaxy S - GSMArena.com for spec by spec comparison of the two phones. The only advantages of N900 are QWERTY keypad, higher internal memory, flash in camera, and FM transmitter... The advantages of Galaxy S are better screen, larger screen, lighter weight, Wifi N, better processor, better battery life, document editing capabilities and a better supported OS...

Depending on your requirements, choose between them...

Arun

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@sakumar79,
Doesn't Galaxy S trump N900 in terms of camera? (Despite lacking flash, better picture and video quality in most situations ?).

sakumar79

Technomancer
That question may be answered better by someone who has used both or a good review comparing both rather than me looking at comparitive specs...

Arun

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
That question may be answered better by someone who has used both or a good review comparing both rather than me looking at comparitive specs...

Arun

Exactly even I am looking out for the samething. Do we have anyone here who has used or currently is using the N900 and the Samsung Galaxy S. Can someone here list out points where the N900 is better and areas where the Galaxy S wins. And then draw a conclusion. Pls I am not talking about copy paste specs from some comparative site. I am saying someone who has actually used the both and has real time experience.

sourabh9agrawal

Signing in..........
I have used both n900 and samsung galaxy s.specifically if we compare camera performance of both the phones then if the image is just needed to be stored into the phone memory and not for developing it then galaxy s has better cam coz the the vividness of the screen is so much that the an average shot looks great.Galaxy s lacks behind in camera department in only one thing and thats flash.Galaxy's video recording is unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!.People saying that n900 has physical qwerty keypad so what about swype in galaxy.Its amazing and fast.surprizingly faster than dedicated keypad.If you type your messages in english mostly then nothing beats that,no problem for hindi either after 1-2 weeks phones automatically adds the words to its dictionary.Size of the galaxy s might create hassles.

Hrithan2020

In the zone
@sourabh9agrawal,
Thanks a lot for the input. Regarding the Swype, were you completely comfortable using it with one hand in portrait mode? Curious to know the one-handed operation of Galaxy S (sporting a relatively large 4"screen)

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
@sourabh9agrawal,
Thanks a lot for the input. Regarding the Swype, were you completely comfortable using it with one hand in portrait mode? Curious to know the one-handed operation of Galaxy S (sporting a relatively large 4"screen)

one handed operation of SGS is possible but I won't say the same for N900. This device is meant to be used in landscape even for most simple things. The areas that N900 is better than SGS are:

1. build quality
2. keypad
3. web browsing (flash support) (but only till SGS gets Froyo)
4. still imaging in low light conditions

SGS:

1. display
2. audio and video playback
3. third party applications
4. video recording
5. social networking
6. future updates for OS
7. third party firmwares

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
one handed operation of SGS is possible but I won't say the same for N900. This device is meant to be used in landscape even for most simple things. The areas that N900 is better than SGS are:

1. build quality
2. keypad
3. web browsing (flash support) (but only till SGS gets Froyo)
4. still imaging in low light conditions

SGS:

1. display
2. audio and video playback
3. third party applications
4. video recording
5. social networking
6. future updates for OS
7. third party firmwares

So If someone were to use a phone except for calling for mainly Internet surfing and chatting. Do you think the N900 is better because of the Flash Support or would you say with the 4" Inch Super Amoled Screen website surfing is sheer fun on the SGS, you hardly miss your PC and that works in its advantage even if it does not support Flash and does not give an option of multiple browser. With the area of webpage the SGS would cover with its 4 Inch screen will it not have the upperhand ?

From a pure Internet surfing device or let me say a entertainment device what do u suggest the N900 or SGS.

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
So If someone were to use a phone except for calling for mainly Internet surfing and chatting. Do you think the N900 is better because of the Flash Support or would you say with the 4" Inch Super Amoled Screen website surfing is sheer fun on the SGS, you hardly miss your PC and that works in its advantage even if it does not support Flash and does not give an option of multiple browser. With the area of webpage the SGS would cover with its 4 Inch screen will it not have the upperhand ?

From a pure Internet surfing device or let me say a entertainment device what do u suggest the N900 or SGS.

You need to try out N900 to see how good it is as an internet tablet. The OS is runs is full blown linux operating system and the browser is similar to a desktop browser. N900 is better than SGS when it comes to internet surfing, even with half an inch less real estate but for multimedia, SGS is definite winner.

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
You need to try out N900 to see how good it is as an internet tablet. The OS is runs is full blown linux operating system and the browser is similar to a desktop browser. N900 is better than SGS when it comes to internet surfing, even with half an inch less real estate but for multimedia, SGS is definite winner.

Ok ! Interestingly put, very interestingly put. So you are saying with .5 Inch of screen less the N900 does not lack too behind in terms of Internet surfing. It feels equally comfortable in viewing and reading as it would on SGS ? Right ?

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
Ok ! Interestingly put, very interestingly put. So you are saying with .5 Inch of screen less the N900 does not lack too behind in terms of Internet surfing. It feels equally comfortable in viewing and reading as it would on SGS ? Right ?

dude. if you made up your mind on Samsung GS, then why the hell do you want to make an argument here. Go and get the phone. It's one hell of a phone and you will enjoy each and every bit. You asked a question and I answered with what I know from using SGS and N900. If you want to have an argument, am not the one to pick! Xperia X10 has 4.3" display. From what you say, it should be even better for web browsing (and we all know it isn't). There is more to web browsing than screen real estate and please do NOT compare web browsing with text reading!

:)

OP
K

Kvishal

In the zone
dude. if you made up your mind on Samsung GS, then why the hell do you want to make an argument here. Go and get the phone. It's one hell of a phone and you will enjoy each and every bit. You asked a question and I answered with what I know from using SGS and N900. If you want to have an argument, am not the one to pick! Xperia X10 has 4.3" display. From what you say, it should be even better for web browsing (and we all know it isn't). There is more to web browsing than screen real estate and please do NOT compare web browsing with text reading!

:)

I haven't decided yet, and I am not able to decide that is the Million Dollar question. Though I was kind of sure I will buy the N900 because it feels a better Phone for its Build, Qwerty Key Pad the over all look and feel, but only till I saw the Galaxy which has now made me buge from my decision and is making me deviate from my decision :-(

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I haven't decided yet, and I am not able to decide that is the Million Dollar question. Though I was kind of sure I will buy the N900 because it feels a better Phone for its Build, Qwerty Key Pad the over all look and feel, but only till I saw the Galaxy which has now made me buge from my decision and is making me deviate from my decision :-(
Also do remember that N900's OS has no future and android is all set to dominate the mobile landscape.

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
i'd say go for the galaxy.. overall it's better than n900
and about flash support on froyo...
it's pathetic .. half the sites dont open and those that open dont work properly..
it's not adobe's fault.. it's bad programming by the website developers

Top Bottom