Confused between Nikon D5100, Canon EOS 550D , Nikon D3200

mastervk

In the zone
@sujoy

i read at many sites that nikon lens work with canon..

for eg check ken rockwell site Using Nikon lenses on Canon cameras © 2005 KenRockwell.com

@OP
you should buy canon/nikon 50 mm also...

sujoyp

Grand Master
mastervk its not a good idea to confuse a newbie when buying 1st DSLR ....there are almost all to all adapters ....I can fit sony in nikon ,nikon on nex,f-mount on Q-mount ....but its better for advance user....its just like changing ROMS in android, its buggy but will work ;)

The adapter cost 250$ + for nikon f mount to canon mount ...and it wont provide autofocus but will provide metering

choudang

Padawan
i will not say much but my humble request, pl do not get into megapix or Dxxxx/xxxxD dilemma, as you are not going to shoot huge film posters or 6x6 feet poster; 10 mpx will be enough for you. i have searched lot about the same, until i found the line "learn the basics of SLR with a good body & lens" and finally got D3100 over Canon 550D (nikon has easy menu and the color tone is little sharp over canon). its on you OP, what to choose.

secondly, i would suggest to go for only body and opt 35mm prime lens (assuming you have D3100 which is DX format and 35mm will give you 50mm on 1.5x crop factor). whether its canon or nikon, if you have only 18-55 or 18-105 or vis, you will not enjoy the bokeh with f/1.8 as those lenses has f/3.5 @ 18mm. dont get confused why 18-55mm wont work at 35mm, cause 35mm prime has only one focal length where you have the control on f stops.

i will not recommend to by a 50mm prime on DX SLR cause which will give you near around 80mm on 1.5x crop factor [you may google it, from where i have got all those lines :-D

learn the basics over Aperture/Exposure/shutter etc and go forward for a high end body. [you may noticed that high end bodies has 10/12 mpx, so mpx does not matter]

I am having D3100 with 35mm (which is mounted 5 months back and still mounted for every occasion) with Simpex 333 tripod and going really good.

sujoyp

Grand Master
^^you r right

but prices have fallen...at the cost of D3100 5 months back now we can get D5100 ....soo its not a bad idea to go for better body...D5100 have many nice features which I would have liked in my DSLR

choudang

Padawan
agreed, but i wont mind to grab D3100 without HDR (can be done with Photoshop @ RAW file), does not bother 14 or 16 mpx, FHD (i want still, not video) considering they both have same:
- APS-C sensor
- 11 AF Points
- No in-body focus motor
- Video auto-focus
- SDXC card compability
- CLS compatibility, but no commander mode
- Plastic bodies

if you give me an option to choose, i will opt D3100 body only with 35mm (will get 50mm on crop factor).

PS: later you can sell out the body :-D. i am selling out my body very soon with bundled lens, may be going towards D90 or D7000 cause both DX format and will have 55-300mm/40mm macro/(fish-eye too perhaps) in coming future.

Last edited:

sujoyp

Grand Master
shhh dont say this openly :D even I am goona change my DSLR body to maybe D300s in 3-4 months :) :D I love birding and wildlife more soo full weatherproofing and faster buffer is very important

choudang

Padawan
i am trying abstract shooting like droplets/splash/product etc, need a flashgun cause my CFL is not able to fulfill the needs :-D :-D

Top Bottom