Configuring wireless router for two computers

Outlander

Broken In
At present I have a laptop with wireless, and a desktop for which I am going to buy a USB wireless adapter. I have a wireless ADSL router modem. What I want to do is this - keep the desktop downstairs and connect it to the router with the USB wireless adapter. Keep the router upstairs, not connected to any computer, but serving both. Use the laptop upstairs wirelessly.

I've set up the modem at present by connecting it by wire to the desktop, and I use the dialler in windows (username and password) to connect to the net. But if the desktop is already connected to the internet, the laptop wirelessly detects the router but when I try to connect with the Windows dialler (in the laptop), it gives a connection error. Is it not possible to keep one modem in between and have both computers connect wirelessly to it and connect with the help of username and password? The other option is saving the username and password in the modem itself, that way everything works fine, both desktop and laptop connect at the same time, but I want to keep everything in my hands and connect manually using the dialler whenever I want to.

:)

Naxal

Little Kid

Once the modem is connected, enable DHCP in it and configure your wireless (SSID and encryption password) settings

Now the turning on the Modem would allow it to get connected and share the connection who logs into it via Wireless. No need to dial from any computer anymore.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
you can't do both at same time without some novel trick using modem inbuilt commands.if you are the only person using using net you can setup a wifi password(wpa2)known only to you so effectively only you will be able to use the net.

Top Bottom