Configuring BSNL Modems to Forward Ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
rakeshishere's tutorial Titled "Torrenting For Dummies" inspired me to write this tutorial. You can read his tutorial here :-
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showpost.php?p=479411&postcount=1

There he said that configuring your Router (Or modem) to forward ports is a must for fast download speed in torrents. But he didn't told us how to configure Router, so figured this out myself. And posting here for those who likes "Pakaa , pakaaya - maal" ;-)

To configure a modem of bsnl to forward ports... do this...

Type 192.168.1.1 in ur browser. I used Opera. Now input admin as user name and password (Its the default one, if you haven,t changed it yet.).

Now go to Advance Settings tab and Then go to Application Sub-Section.
There put setting like this...

FOR HUWEI Modem :--

*img527.imageshack.us/img527/8773/cap3tf7.th.jpg

You can Change the port number according to the port you use in your software.(I use utorrent.)

Click Apply. This will reboot your modem and the reboooting process will take 2 minutes. Wait for 2 minutes now.

Edit : Choto_Cheeta just PMed me this Screenies.. They are for MT841 Modem (Type IV modem with 4 LAN port and a USB and a Wifi)

Settings with Type IV modem MT 841

*img260.imageshack.us/img260/2223/01lx3.jpg

Go to NAT Entries, Click New...

*img260.imageshack.us/img260/2944/02qb9.jpg

and in put data according to ur needs :D

*img444.imageshack.us/img444/4020/03hw2.jpg

We will post screenies for other modems too as soon as we get them.

Now your modem is set to forward port. Enjoy Torrents now...
{Remeber in your router model the name of settings can be little bit changed.
So a little research (I mean very little research if u have readed my tut.) will show you which are the right settings you are looking for}

And please let me know if you are having problems following this tutorial..

Last edited:

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
I do not know whether you will know about this or not and I am not saying this to show any superiority about my preferred operating system. It is just a question I am genuinely curious about. (There is a lot of misinterpretation going on nowadays, so a little disclaimer doesn't hurt.) :)

Do you need to do this only on Windows? On both XP and Vista, I switched off the firewall and tried a lot of port forwarding tips (not the ones mentioned here though) but the trackers always listed me as "Not connectable". However, when I use any Mac OS X client with the Firewall turned on, I am shown as "Connectable" and I get noticeable faster speeds. So what is the deal here?

Another thing, when I run µTorrent using CrossOver on Mac OS X (i.e. not on Windows), it shows me as "Connectable". So, looking at this pattern has forced me to conclude that this port forwarding problem is only associated with Windows (though I still cannot figure out why it happens even when the Firewall is turned off). Basically, I am very confused about this whole thing.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
@aryayush

Use Port Forward when u are using ADSL PPPoE log in through Modem configure,

and test ur Forwarded Port at uTorrent,

Go to Speed Test, the Test a port u have forwared...

*img526.imageshack.us/img526/199/untitledry5.jpg

If the message is like this,

*img442.imageshack.us/img442/903/untitled1uz0.jpg

Things are not right,

nut if it comes like this,

*img526.imageshack.us/img526/7780/untitled2gh2.jpg

Then things are right, :)

aryayush

Aspiring Novelist
Yeah, I know all that, of course. I have forwarded ports (successfully and unsuccessfully) in the past. :)

All I want to know is why is it necessary to do so even with all protection turned off (such as the Firewall)?

S

Shalu_Sharma

I have a MT 841 modem and its page exactly look like the one you described above.

I use port 23478 in utorrent. Should I use the same port number? or use port 80 in my torrent client.
Also how do I configure my windows firewall to allow ports?
I am using windows default firewall.

OP
Quiz_Master

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
Shalu_Sharma said:
I have a MT 841 modem and its page exactly look like the one you described above.

I use port 23478 in utorrent. Should I use the same port number? or use port 80 in my torrent client.
Also how do I configure my windows firewall to allow ports?
I am using windows default firewall.

No you must configure the port you are using in utorrent. So put 23478 in your router configuration instead of 80.

To forward ports in Windows Firewall...
Go to Netowrk Places (through Controll Panel). Right-click the connection that you use for the Internet, and then click Properties. If you are connected that icon will be blue.
Click the Advanced tab, and then click Settings. Click Add to open a new port.
In the Description box, type service name. For example, type utorrent : Port 23478 (or any you want to use.).
In the Name or IP address of the computer hosting this service on your network box, type 127.0.0.1
In the External port and Internal port boxes, type the port number. Generally, this number is the same.
Click either TCP or UDP, and then click OK.

Its done. I hope I made it clear....:cool:

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Well for me it helps only a little as i still do not know my sterlite quidway wa1003a modem ip address.It's not given in the user manual.:(

OP
Quiz_Master

Quiz_Master

* Teh Flirt King *
^^ There is a workaround.
Use your real IP address.
It should be something like 59.**.**.**
Now You can access your modems page. And change the settings.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Harvik780 said:
Well for me it helps only a little as i still do not know my sterlite quidway wa1003a modem ip address.It's not given in the user manual.

as the modem came with DATA ONe, the Default IP is, 192.168.1.1 !! so Set ur LAN TCP / IP Settings according to it to access the Modem...

Quiz_Master said:
^^ There is a workaround.
Use your real IP address.
It should be something like 59.**.**.**
Now You can access your modems page. And change the settings.

If you are using the ADSL/PPPoE Dial up or rather On Demand interface, that wont work... !!!!

Harvik780

ToTheBeatOfUrHeart
Choto Cheeta said:
as the modem came with DATA ONe, the Default IP is, 192.168.1.1 !! so Set ur LAN TCP / IP Settings according to it to access the Modem...
Where from I can know how to configure and set what as my TCP/IP settings?

skywalker16

Right off the assembly line
Hey quiz master
nice and usefull post. i also had to figure this out myself to really get good speeds. anyways im posting this because bsnl has stopped giving out huawei modems i guess. Two of my friends who got their connection recently received a utstarcom build modem. i tried tried to add the application(u torrent) and a port. but there is no visible option to add any application, or to open any port. I spend bout an hour trying to figure out what do but, but all in vain!!! :confused: The GUI has been completly changed and not lik the images u've provided.the modem is a UT300R2U.. any help would b appretiated!!

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
Nice !
but am not impressed .. got a much better and Very General Tutorial for all modem no matter what !! in WINDOWS all versions .. even in linux it must be same .. dunno for mac

your tutorial is just for your modem .. infact in Dareglobal ADSL modem you never get such options in DSL Router 192.168.1.1

1. Start >> Run >> Telnet
2. Type o 192.168.1.1
3. Enter your router user name and password
4. Then in Main Menu select option 6 NAT
5. After Entering NAT MENU , enter option 1 for virtual server
6. then in virtual server Menu configure the ports u need to froward
7. Enter 1 >> for adding ports to be forwarded.
8. Give a name
9. Protocol .. 0 (tcp , udp)
10. Enter Range of ports to forwarded
11. better give one port like say 18111 for all external start end internal start end
12. internal ip address is your ip address which is 192.168.1.x
13. save settings and exit option no 12 i think .. reset modem !!
14. test using some service .. use utorrent !!

nix

@akshay:
i dont use BSNL...i use the local cable guy's ISP. and i also use a wireless router.. so can i use the above mentioned methods?

^^^
*portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/UTStarcom/UT-300R2U/1st_SMTP_Server.htm
Here is the detailed tutorial

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom