Configure our College Network

Status
Not open for further replies.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Hi there,
I've been entrusted with the task of configuring our College network (Well part of it) from Scratch. Only B.Sc IT students will be most likely using it. They are not quite old but they aren't quite new either. There are 15-17 systems to install. At the moment it is just setup as a peer to peer network. Currently all systems run Windows XP and necessary software for the students to study on. The college does have a broadband business connection which it shares among the desktops as well. All of the terminals are wired boxes and not wireless ones

Id be more than happy to list all the system configurations but each system seems to be different in its own way. Anyway getting to the point, I've never installed a network from scratch so I'm kind of nervous of screwing up everything quite badly. So I thought I would get some advice from here as well.

Needs
I would prefer to have the following functionality

Get the systems to be as fast as possible. Without removing needed services or applications.
User profiles which they could access regardless of the system they are on. Is this possible on a peer to peer network using Windows XP (All the software I have access to is listed below)?
Probably host a Web server to keep announcements which each students can access.
Distribute and log Internet Usage.
Prevent the Kids from breaking anything.

Well this is all I could think up of at the moment. I'll probably need more information in time. The install date Ive set for is like a month away. So just preparing in advance.

Software I have access to.
Windows XP
Various Linux Distros
MS-Office 2000 (This is more than enough for the students)
Other programs the kids needs like Oracle Express Edition, Visual Studio Express etc.
I could download other software or even buy something if it is a must. I prefer not using Deep freeze.

Please recommend tips or things I could possibly do to roll out this tiny network without ill effects :)

Conditions:
You may use Linux as an alternative for a server or something if it provides the functionality mentioned above or better. However I would appreciate if everyone could refrain from comparing Windows XP and Linux etc.

Thanks.

More information can be provided if required.

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
You are in need to maintain an active directory hence you are in need to have a server :(

Windows 2003 R2 SP2 would be at-least expected where as 2000 may do the job as well but 2k3 is optimal for these systems :)

Also buy a ghosting software :) which wuld keep an image of a fully setup system so that in case of scruew up, simply restore it :) (like deep freze but not autometic, only when u need)

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Thanks Choto for the sugegstions.

Windows 2003 R2 SP2 would be at-least expected where as 2000 may do the job as well but 2k3 is optimal for these systems
Im going to have to check this out but I believe the college does have a few copies of Windows 2000 somewhere.

Also buy a ghosting software which wuld keep an image of a fully setup system so that in case of scruew up, simply restore it (like deep freze but not autometic, only when u need)

Won't this require me to make seperate images of each system if the hardware is different?

Choto Cheeta

Rebooting
Won't this require me to make seperate images of each system if the hardware is different?

Yeah sure, they will, now i use norton ghost 7 a small 700 KB MS DOS application :) which I run via a DOS mode bootable device (Win98 installation media would do) after I have installed every thing in the systems to take a ghost image of the setup :D

so if any thing goes wrong is just 3 mins image restore to that original installtion state :)

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Thank yuo for that tip. COuld you suggest a light weight software which I can use to monitor another desktop as well:).

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
I've never installed a network from scratch so I'm kind of nervous of screwing up everything quite badly. So I thought I would get some advice from here as well.
Plan the distribution of IP addresses properly and keep track of where all the wires go. I do believe you should have an idea of this but these are 2 most important things I remember from FOSS Lab experience.
Mainly it's important to know if you'll prefer static IP or DHCP. IMO, going for static IP will be a better idea since all the PC's will be there only. But, you can run a DHCP server too if you're expecting people to move in and out with computers like your PC or your lappy. Then it would make it easier to just connect them on the network without much configuration. But, static IP's are more favourable for the PC's that will stay in.
User profiles which they could access regardless of the system they are on. Is this possible on a peer to peer network using Windows XP (All the software I have access to is listed below)?
Probably host a Web server to keep announcements which each students can access.
Distribute and log Internet Usage.
I have run all of the above and it works. I can give you mine notes on the FOSS Lab, which covers all the above aspects. Only, the roaming profiles weren't fully tested and I believe it needs some work. And you might want to setup LDAP, which I didn't do. LDAP would be good idea if you want people to have a single login to access various stuff, like desktop access, mail access, internet access, etc.
In case you want to go with Linux here, Debian and CentOS will be two good choices.

OP
FilledVoid

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Here is a guide wich may help u

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74510

give it a read
Thank you this should help :).
Plan the distribution of IP addresses properly and keep track of where all the wires go. I do believe you should have an idea of this but these are 2 most important things I remember from FOSS Lab experience.
Mainly it's important to know if you'll prefer static IP or DHCP. IMO, going for static IP will be a better idea since all the PC's will be there only. But, you can run a DHCP server too if you're expecting people to move in and out with computers like your PC or your lappy. Then it would make it easier to just connect them on the network without much configuration. But, static IP's are more favourable for the PC's that will stay in.
I'm thinking of static IP.
I have run all of the above and it works. I can give you mine notes on the FOSS Lab, which covers all the above aspects. Only, the roaming profiles weren't fully tested and I believe it needs some work. And you might want to setup LDAP, which I didn't do. LDAP would be good idea if you want people to have a single login to access various stuff, like desktop access, mail access, internet access, etc.
In case you want to go with Linux here, Debian and CentOS will be two good choices.
Good info. Could you point me to a resource or give me a copy of the motes you used :D. I would liek the students to be able to logon to any machine and get their home , work folder mapped to them from the server.

It seems the college does have a few copies of Windows 2000 soemwhere. Is this doable with WIndows 2000 as a server?

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Good info. Could you point me to a resource or give me a copy of the motes you used :D. I would liek the students to be able to logon to any machine and get their home , work folder mapped to them from the server.
Already shared the url for the same with you, If you want the tar file of the same tell me.
It seems the college does have a few copies of Windows 2000 soemwhere. Is this doable with WIndows 2000 as a server?
Look up for Active Directory. I dunno what all can be done by AD but I know it's something that does the same work. I guess roaming profiles on XP will be easier to manage with Windows Server. But samba has shown a better performance and considering how old Windows 2000 is (and I believe it's also phased out) so you can consider with samba. Samba might have a slightly higher learning curve but it can be easy to administer with SWAT and really good docs on samba are available. Plus, you will need very few changes if you go with my notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom