Configuration Help Required - Gaming Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

premsharma

In the zone
Of the late, neither I could keep myself abreast fast moving technologies nor I had access Digit reviews /magzines. In the past, digit reviews have been great source for me to estimate the budget and firmup buying decisions. Reviews are carried out in such a way that it has something or other for every class of budget. Testing of 8-10 components from different companies under each catagory is appreciated so that if one is not able to buy the
recommended Gold & Silver buys designated by digit, he/she can always cheque the features Vs Test scores & price and settle for 3rd for 4th from top in the list.

I have been looking for a processor, Motherboard, 19" wide TFT monitor and Plextor DVD Writer. Budget can be stretched to 30,000. My other requirements are DRR2 support at 533 MHz on wards and PCI-Express slot.
Though I am not intrested in SLI or Crossfire motherboards, but if better deals are available, then I may go for such motherboards. Due to my past experiences with brands, I am inclined towards MSI motherboards and [ATI chipset MB for AMD].

I in the past two years, twice I wanted to buy an AMD based systems becuase most of the computer magzines have been recommending this for gamers. My local vendors discouraged me both the time saying, AMD has heating problems and more over after a year or so processor will be almost dead. I did not take his words, he must be Intel fan, but same time I had no other way [because no transparent dearlers of AMD here] but to surrender to Intel.

Now again I am at confusion because of so many processors in market. Can someone, suggest me, without any prejudice [either towards Intel Or AMD] that which one I should go far i.e. Intel or AMD and why. Please reason out
your decision. Please also compare equivalent models Intel and AMD based on speed, FSB & chache etc. e.g. which model of AMD would be exact equal to Core 2 Duo 1.8 Ghz and so on.

I am not overclocking enthusiast. I shall be greatfull, if you could indicate probable prices and online place to buy items. I am based here at Agra, not many things available. I prefer buying from western & southern regions of
the country. Please suggest me where can I get Plextor & viewsonics.

Please suggest & configure something for me. Immediate response is requested as i don't have much time and do not want to be sucked into bad configuration due to lacks of technical expertise from learned members over here.

I shall be very thankful for your kind help !!!!

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
I'd suggest simple C2D with ASUS or gigabyte board. For a comprihensive comparision.....search threads, there r ample ample amount of threads specifcally dedicated for these kind of queries, or google it.

OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
Urget help, which one is better:

Viewsonic 2130 wm 19" wide TFT with 5 milisecond & DVI input at Rs 15000

or

Samsung 940 BW 19" wide TFT with 4 milisecond at Rs 14200 [not sure of DVI input].

I am based at Agra and if I have buy viewsonic, I have to buy from Mumbai & it will come by courier [will it be safe through courier?] and I dont think it has any service center at Agra. Other one is [samsung] is available here locally nad also has service center.

Anyway, existence of service center do not intrest me much as I am defence officer and keep moving on postings. I will be moving out to Silligudi side in Apr 2007.

Can someone help me firm up my buying decision by virtue of their experince on these monitors.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
premsharma said:
Urget help, which one is better:

Viewsonic 2130 wm 19" wide TFT with 5 milisecond & DVI input at Rs 15000

or

Samsung 940 BW 19" wide TFT with 4 milisecond at Rs 14200 [not sure of DVI input].

I am based at Agra and if I have buy viewsonic, I have to buy from Mumbai & it will come by courier [will it be safe through courier?] and I dont think it has any service center at Agra. Other one is [samsung] is available here locally nad also has service center.

Anyway, existence of service center do not intrest me much as I am defence officer and keep moving on postings. I will be moving out to Silligudi side in Apr 2007.

Can someone help me firm up my buying decision by virtue of their experince on these monitors.

I am using samsung and its a beauty, general search also suggests that samsung wins by a margin, and BTW 940BW does have a DVI output, plus 940BW is HDCP compatible which viewsonic is not.

drvarunmehta

Wise Old Owl
Viewsonic 2130 is a 21" LCD not 19".

What you are referring to is the Viewsonic VA1912wb. It has DVI and costs the same as the Samsung 940BW. Both are equally good. Just buy the one which is cheaper and has a better warranty.

The 940BW's HDCP compatibility is just a gimmick. It only has a res of 1440x900 and you need 1080 lines of vertical resolution to display HD content. HDCP compatibility doesn't matter for such low resolutions.

OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
drvarunmehta said:
Viewsonic 2130 is a 21" LCD not 19".

What you are referring to is the Viewsonic VA1912wb. It has DVI and costs the same as the Samsung 940BW. Both are equally good. Just buy the one which is cheaper and has a better warranty.

The 940BW's HDCP compatibility is just a gimmick. It only has a res of 1440x900 and you need 1080 lines of vertical resolution to display HD content. HDCP compatibility doesn't matter for such low resolutions.

Sorry, I meant Viewsonic VG 1930 model. HDCP & even service center is not a concern for me as I am going to move out after 4 months from this place. Only my apprehensions were damages [if any] during transit, if I order from Mumbai. Following are quotes from a dealer in Mumbai. He must have included extra cost as he was to deliver it to me at Agra by courier.

WE HAVE FOLLOING MODELS IN WIDE SCREEN.

1.VIEWSONIC VA1912WB 19” WIDE, 8ms, DVI , SPEAKER, RS;14,000/-.
2.VIEEWSONIC VG1921WM 19” WIDE , 5MS , No DVI, SPEAKER RS:14,500/
3.VIEWSONIC VG1930WM 19” WIDE 5ms. , DVI , SPEAKER, RS;15,000/

ALL COMES WITH 3 YEARS ON SITE WARRNTY.

Personally I could have gone for VA1912WB, but it has higher response time
The difference in sl 2 & 3 is just DVI or no DVI. Both are 5ms. Viewsonic TFTs are supposed to be cheaper & better than samsung, but only people in big cities can have those cheaper prices

shantanu

Technomancer
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY gAMES GO FOR AMD ATHLON FX 74 with ASUS cROSSHAIR MOBO AND A NVIDIA 8800 GTS with 512 and 4 GB RAM .... i have this config.. so :))

OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
shantanu_webmaster said:
IF YOU WANT TO PLAY gAMES GO FOR AMD ATHLON FX 74 with ASUS cROSSHAIR MOBO AND A NVIDIA 8800 GTS with 512 and 4 GB RAM .... i have this config.. so :))

AMD ATHLON FX 74?????????? or 64 and which one 3600+ or 3800+ This time arround I had inclination towards AMD, but nobody still recommending it. Even Digit Test center over telephone, informed me that C2D has been tested extensively and it performs better than its counter / equivalent models on AMD.

shantanu

Technomancer
ATHLON FX 74 3.0 ghz and its the best from amd if not compared to QUADFX.. and AMD IS THE BEST you know coz it never hangs if you assemble it in right ways and use proper softwares... AMD IS BEST FOR GAMING

OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
shantanu_webmaster said:
ATHLON FX 74 3.0 ghz and its the best from amd if not compared to QUADFX.. and AMD IS THE BEST you know coz it never hangs if you assemble it in right ways and use proper softwares... AMD IS BEST FOR GAMING

What is approximate cost? Will it cost a bomb?

OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
shantanu_webmaster said:
:)) then go for 3800+ X2 or even 4000+ it will cost you around rs.11000/-

Ok i will take your words if i decides to go AMD way. In next 10 days or so I will have to decide. There are pretty good mother boards from MSI on ATI as well as Nvidivia chipset. Suggest one from MSI at Rs 4000 to 8000, probably with onboard graphics. Though I already have XFX GeForce 6600GT PCI-Express & TwinMos DDR2 @ 533 Mhz.

shantanu

Technomancer
go for ASUS M2N-MX with 6200 onboard its around 4.3 k for AMD will give you mind blasting performance and even you can add aGX 7600GS or GT

OP
premsharma

premsharma

In the zone
shantanu_webmaster said:
go for ASUS M2N-MX with 6200 onboard its around 4.3 k for AMD will give you mind blasting performance and even you can add aGX 7600GS or GT

I do not want Nvidia onboard. Suggest me a board which has ATI onboard

shantanu

Technomancer
then go for MSI K9MMV with x1150 ATI onboard its a great board @5.5k
ASUS M2R with ATI RX580 chipset and x550 onboard @ 5k

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
shantanu_webmaster said:

Was PERIOD...untill C2D the beast was launched. No comparision now.

Think before you take a decission. Just dont blindly rely. Do some review search by your own, google it extensively,and then make a decission. Simple search and logic would give you a clear idea that C2D is way ahead than AMD now, and offer better bang for bucks.

For a start I can give you this link....

*www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2802

They are even releasing a 4 MB cache version of 6300/6400 with no price difference, which would be worth to go for

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom