Config for new PC, budget around 55k (no monitor)

wayne

Right off the assembly line
My query is divided in two parts. Truly hope you read through.
Part 1: I'll answer the standard set of questions:
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Coding,Compiling: Using IDE's,Compilers,Running Linux,Occasional Virtual Machines. Movies,Music. Games such as GTA V,NFS. Target to dual boot Win 8 / Linux.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 50k , stretch to max 55.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows/Linux.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB.

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: No. At the moment have a Dell 22" 2240L. But support for a possible higher res monitor in the future is preferred.

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: 1 month max.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Haven't built but I want to try and assemble it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Mumbai. Yes.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: Part 2.

I've done some crude research myself and I'm presenting component wise choices/questions below. Please do bear with me. Keep in mind the thought process was to make a future proof computer. I'm no expert,and if any of my choices sound noobish, I truly,truly apologize. :mrgreen:

Processor : prefer Intel i7. Is k series/overclocking worth buying? Suggest proc with/without OC options.
Motherboard: Compatible mobo,especially if considering OC option. For mobo,I was considering MSI,Gigabyte or Asus.
RAM : Single/Dual Channel? Require 8GB.
GPU : Nvidia GTX 6xx series and above. Which company?
HDD : Seagate 1TB 7700 RPM. Do you think SSHD's are worth it?
PSU: Corsair 650 W. Would it be enough?
Optical Disk Drive: ?
Cabinet: ?
Cooling solutions: Do you recommend it ?

Thank you for reading my query. :mrgreen:

Edit:
I've been reading about SLI and has anybody used it? I was thinking on the lines that after 3-4 years I can add another Graphic Card to give the PC a shot in the arm. How does SLI compare to lets say,upgrade to a newer Graphic Card. Has anyone used SLI?

Last edited:

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I run a setup with GTX 560 TI, 2500k, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws RAM, 6 HDDs, STX soundcard. All on VX550.

Yours should be fine with 650W, just compare it with VX550.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
for mobo prefer asus & gigabyte over msi.k series doesn't seem to be necessary for your usage but if you do decide to buy it you will have to buy a good cpu cooler & a more expensive mobo than usual.SSD is really worth it if you can afford it,samsung 120gb evo850 is available for 5k.
Buy Samsung 850 EVO 120GB SSD (MZ-75E120BW)in India

OP
W

wayne

Right off the assembly line
I run a setup with GTX 560 TI, 2500k, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws RAM, 6 HDDs, STX soundcard. All on VX550.

Yours should be fine with 650W, just compare it with VX550.
This is my first build, and my numbers might be tad overkill. Do you think 550W will be enough?

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
This is my first build, and my numbers might be tad overkill. Do you think 550W will be enough?

VX550 has been discontinued.

GS650 is fine. But GS is one of the low end series.
CORSAIR - PSU Review Database

Check other users opinion.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
see this:
*www.digit.in/forum/service-rma-wat...t-antec-warranty-post2234272.html#post2234272
seasonic is best quality wise but for after sales support one need to buy it from their official online seller only(tirupati/overclockerszone).

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Processor: Intel Xeon E3 1246 v3 -22800,

Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M-D3H -5500,

RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1600Mhz -4000,

GPU: Zotac GTX 750Ti 2GB -12500,

HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB -3500,

PSU: Antec VP550P -3500,

Optical Disk Drive: Asus 24D3ST DVDRW -1100,

Cabinet: Corsair SPEC-01 -3300,

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo -1700,

KB+Mouse: Logitech MK200 -800.

TOTAL: 58,700.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
3-4 years in computer industry is like a decade in normal market.by that time most likely pci-e 5.0 would be the standard & any popular game of that era would require a complete upgrade.even now sli is a hit or miss with games & buying a single powerful gfx card is always recommended over combining 2 weaker cards to get similar performance.

Top Bottom