Config for a new PC

rahulbasu

Broken In
Thanks for all the help.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Watching video, Adobe Photoshop, Corel Draw, Autocad 3D, SketchUp, ArcGIS. No games.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 50k ... can possibly extend to 60k.

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Win7/Win8 Home Premium

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans:1TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:22-24" monitor. Not sure about resolution. Have a BENQ G2220HD on another PC, happy to go with it or slightly larger

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Have a Crucial 64GB SSD - CTO64M4SSDE2 with a 2.5"-3.5" convertor. Planning to put the OS and programs on this drive

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Next couple of weeks

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: No. Willing to build it myself though.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Goa, near Panjim. Need to find where to buy locally - advice would be much appreciated. I already buy a lot online, including Flipkart and LetsBuy.

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: (1) Due to overhead lines & high winds, we often have loose contacts / bad power fluctuations. Then to repair it, power frequently goes out for 20-30 mins at a time during the day. (2) Have a bad humidity problem during the monsoons. Contacts on the RAM in particular give trouble. Most people run PC 24x7 during the monsoons to keep them warm and prevent condensation. (3) Would like an ergonomic keyboard and mouse as I work at lot on the computer.

Thanks once again

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
processor|i7 2600|16800
motherboard|Intel DH67CLB3 note rev B3 earlier versions have a problem |5500
ram|2*4gb corsair 1333|2400
psu|corsair cx 500v2|3200
hard disk|1 tb wd/seagate|5000
graphics card|GIGABYTE GV-R775OC-1GD|6200
dvd drive|asus sata|1200
cabinet|nzxt source 210 elite|2700
monitor|benq g2220HDL|7200
keyboard+mouse|Microsoft Wired Desktop 600 USB|800
ups|APC 1100VA|5000

total:56000

prices taken from SMC international flipkart & others.

OP
R

rahulbasu

Broken In
Thanks whitestar_999.

Is there a config that meets the 50k requirement ?

I was also wondering if I should drop down to a i5 2500k and go with a larger monitor, better keyboard & mouse (looking at Logitech M570 as a possibility for the mouse ~Rs.3.2k), and keep some money for Win7.

Thanks again

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
getting a "k" series processor is only recommended if you are going to overclock & you will also need a z68 mobo(costs at least ~8600) so whatever you save in processor will be wiped out by the increase in mobo cost.you can go for a i5 2500 for 12000.usually it is gamers who spend more than 1500 on a mouse/keyboard.for normal usage in my opinion a Rs.800 keyboard+mouse combo works just fine.if you want to buy a better monitor,win 7 & kb+mouse within your budget then get AMD based system.performance wise it will be lesser than i5/i7 system but not significantly noticeable in most of the scenarios.

OP
R

rahulbasu

Broken In
Thanks again whitestar_999.

I take the point on the k-series. What would a i5 config look like ? I should have some money left over from that for the monitor / mouse.

Rahul

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
just replace i7 2600 with i5 2400 for 11000 on flipkart & you will save 5800.you can save even more by getting a cheaper cabinet from coolermaster but i am not sure since you mentioned humid environment & i am not much familiar with cabinets especially regarding their build quality(full metal/alloy body/coating etc).it is better to ask in power supply/cabinet section by creating a new thread titled something like"suitable cabinet for humid environment etc".rest of the config remains same except kb+mouse & monitor of your choice.

Top Bottom