Computer working with CRT but not LCD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Sorry for making a new thread guys but I had to in order to avoid confusion.
I have this old PC which comprises of P4 2.0 Ghz, 768 MB RAM, 512 MB 7300GT AGP graphic card on a MSI PM8M-V motherboard.

Being nearly five year old the computer had some display problem mentioned here. I checked my system but everything was fine & even the technician was confused. As my monitor was already showing signs of ageing, I decided to go in for a new monitor - Dell 24" LCD.

I bought the LCD & connected it to my CPU but then I failed to get any display. Upon opening the cabinet I noticed a rodent had shitted on the graphic card. I cleaned up the mess with the help of a technician & the computer worked fine at his place where he has a 17" CRT monitor.

Today I bought back the system & connected it to my Dell 24" LCD but it again failed to show any display. I took the system to my friend's place who own a 20" Samsung LCD but there too I got no display. Both the displays switch back to Standby mode once I start the computer. The HDD is blank with no OS installed but still the PC not even displays the POST messages.

Is this any kind of magic spell? Does this mean I have to dump this machine?

What to do guys? I'm now really frustrated. Even the technician has no clue.

rhitwick

Democracy is a myth
Do u have on-board display chipset?
If yes try that and check if u can display...

What connector r u using to connect that LCD to ur GFX card?
DVI or HDMI or what?

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Rhitwick, I have tried connecting the computer to LCD withe the help of a VGA & DVI cable. Both failed to produce any display. Even the onboard graphics doesn't seems to work. In both the cases, the computer simply refuses to show any POST messages & the LCD monitor goes into standby mode.

@icebags - Tried that already. Took the system to a friend's place but doesn't works. Connected the LCD to my laptop & it works great without any issues.

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Remove the CMOS battery for a while. Or just put in a new one, since your system is old.

OP
Cool G5

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Tried the following today:

1) Connected the CPU to my old Samsung 17" CRT with Zebronics 7300GT Graphic Card via VGA cable = No Display. Monitor went in standby mode.

2) Connected the CPU to my old Samsung 17" CRT with onboard graphic via VGA cable = Shaky Display.

3) Rebooted with the second configuration to see good clear display but still a few alphabets going out of the screen in the POST messages.

4) Plugged in the graphic card & connected the Dell 24" LCD via VGA = No Display. Displays goes in standby mode.

5) Removed graphic card & connected the Dell 24" to onboard graphic = No Display. LCD goes in standby mode.

Things I noticed:

1) When the computer booted properly in #4 I tried to boot via Ubuntu 9.10 LIVE CD but it failed to boot & the PC restarted.

2) Upon scrolling the POST messages the computer stops saying : GRUB 22 Error. Earlier I had formatted my HDD on my friend's PC under Linux Mint.

Other Data:

1) Cleared the BIOS settings by removing the CMOS battery.

2) My 640GB WD SATA HDD has no OS installed.

3) The PC was working fine at the technician's place who connected it to his 17" CRT monitor by 7300GT graphic card via VGA cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom