Computer stuttering while gaming

adikumar2010

Journeyman
Whenever I play Apex Legends (it's the only game I play) it makes the whole PC stutter every 3-4 mins (for 2-3 secs everything freezes). Although stuttering also happens when I am not gaming and just browsing but it's 2-3 times per day. This issue only started last month. Also I got my GPU replaced last month, so it can't be GPU. I checked temperatures during gaming and it's all under 70 Celsius on GPU, CPU & Mobo. PC is little less then 2 years old but PSU is 12 years old.

CPU : AMD Ryzen 5 3600x
Motherboard : Asus TUF Gaming X570 Plus
RAM : 2 X 8GB A-Data XPG 3200Mhz CL16
SSD : Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2 Gen 3
GPU : Zotac GTX 1660 Twin Fan
PSU : Corsair 550W (Bought in 2009)

Where should I start ? Coz it could be motherboard or CPU or PSU or RAM or GPU, it's hard to figure out as I don't have 2nd desktop to switch parts & find the faulty hardware.
I think it's most likely PSU but I just don't want to buy new PSU for $100 then later realize it was something else which was faulty.

P.S. Also check out this other thread of mine related to same issue:
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/bsod-whenever-i-start-gaming.209915/

Last edited by a moderator:

TheSloth

The Slowest One
Did you try reinstalling or changing the GPU driver to previous versions?

When you are in game and the stutter happens, can you check if your CPU, GPU, SSD goes to full usage or something? Open the Task Manager's CPU performance tab and also HWInfo and monitor these things closely just after the stutter. May be run some benchmark in windowed mode and monitor the PC through TaskM and HWInfo.
in HWInfo, check the CPU frequency and power and post the screenshot here if you find something peculiar.

bssunilreddy

Chosen of the Omnissiah
Remove the GPU drivers by using Display Driver Uninstaller and Do a fresh install after restarting. Then check if it still stutters.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
Did you try reinstalling or changing the GPU driver to previous versions?

When you are in game and the stutter happens, can you check if your CPU, GPU, SSD goes to full usage or something? Open the Task Manager's CPU performance tab and also HWInfo and monitor these things closely just after the stutter. May be run some benchmark in windowed mode and monitor the PC through TaskM and HWInfo.
in HWInfo, check the CPU frequency and power and post the screenshot here if you find something peculiar.
GPU goes to 100% which is normal , CPU don't go more then 60-70% and SSD around 70% max read speed & 11% write speed max . I reinstalled windows too but same issue. . Attaching graphs and logs please check. Frame time spikes up every now and then for no reason from 8-10ms to 70ms or something.

Remove the GPU drivers by using Display Driver Uninstaller and Do a fresh install after restarting. Then check if it still stutters.
Done that but no help.

Check the health of your ssd using any utility like crystal disk info-see if it reports any problems with it.
97% SSD health, is it too low?

Logs : Stutter Problem – Google Drive

TheSloth

The Slowest One
I see that CPU temps never went above 70C. What about GPU temps?
Can you run memory test and see if your RAMs are problem. Run the test for more than 5 hrs at least.
Also, remove 1 RAM module and play game to check if stutters, then switch the RAM module with another. Also, do this in different slots to eliminate the possibility of a fault slot.

Any chance you can check this with another GPU?

If all of this works then I think PSU is the only component to check. Is it possible for you to take it to a PC repair shop who can check this with another PSU? Don't leave your PC for overnight, unless you trust them. Take your PC there and check it yourself, ask them to allow you run the game and check yourself.

Last edited:
OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
I see that CPU temps never went above 70C. What about GPU temps?
Can you run memory test and see if your RAMs are problem. Run the test for more than 5 hrs at least.
Also, remove 1 RAM module and play game to check if stutters, then switch the RAM module with another. Also, do this in different slots to eliminate the possibility of a fault slot.

Any chance you can check this with another GPU?

If all of this works then I think PSU is the only component to check. Is it possible for you to take it to a PC repair shop who can check this with another PSU? Don't leave your PC for overnight, unless you trust them. Take your PC there and check it yourself, ask them to allow you run the game and check yourself.
GPU max is 67 Celsius even after 2 hours of gaming. I ran memtest86 for 3hours and it passed without errors.

No other GPU I have and repair shop is too far tough to carry desktop there. I might have to buy new PSU and take a gamble if it doesn't work then start RMAing all PC parts 1 by 1 starting from Motherboard, RAM, CPU, SSD (everything is under warranty except my ancient PSU)

What's your SSD usage like while gaming? A friend's PC with Crucial BX500 used to choke up sometimes while gaming, caused stutters & lags at times.

I found that Nvidia's shadowplay was on, which was recording 5mins of footage which will be saved if I save it. Turned that off to reduced SSD usage. See if something is using your SSD unnecessarily.

Maybe try reinstalling OS.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
What's your SSD usage like while gaming? A friend's PC with Crucial BX500 used to choke up sometimes while gaming, caused stutters & lags at times.

I found that Nvidia's shadowplay was on, which was recording 5mins of footage which will be saved if I save it. Turned that off to reduced SSD usage. See if something is using your SSD unnecessarily.

Maybe try reinstalling OS.
Reinstalled OS after deleting all partitions. SSD around 70% max read speed & 11% write speed max reading during 3hrs of gameplay.
I don't use geforce experience, I prefer manually updating drivers. I can't deal with 50 updater apps from nvidia, razer, asus, AMD, etc

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
One thing also I forgot to mention there was BSOD issue which fixed by itself maybe it is connected to this issue, you can check here :
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/bsod-whenever-i-start-gaming.209915/

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
Here the screenshot of hwinfo after 1.5 hours of gaming (Right click and open it new tab to zoom in) :
*i.ibb.co/zhXrfT4/HWinfo-Log.png

Your temps look fine. Are you getting the issue after reinstalling OS?

Is your ISP fine? I get a lag sometimes in Apex, but not consistently. Sometimes Apex's servers are acting up, I remember 1 Saturday it was too problematic.

OP
adikumar2010

adikumar2010

Journeyman
Your temps look fine. Are you getting the issue after reinstalling OS?

Is your ISP fine? I get a lag sometimes in Apex, but not consistently. Sometimes Apex's servers are acting up, I remember 1 Saturday it was too problematic.
Yes same problem after reinstalling windows after deleting all partitions. Problems is permanent. If it was apex server it wont happen non stop for 2 weeks when other players reported no such issue.

Top Bottom