Computer Heats Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Nowdays my PC heats up and shutdown automatically. I cannot keep it on for more than half an hour. What should I do? Can it be due to excessive dirt. I will clean it at weekend and will check it.

I have P4-2.4Ghz, 256MB RAM, Intel 845GVSR Mobo with Windows XP SP2. Also there is no provision for checking CPU Temp. in my Mobo.

theraven

Technomancer
get motherboard monitor for chekcin temperatures
and post them here

yes dust is a factor
also you could try replacing your thermal compound

one more thing .. how do u know its overheating and shuttin down if u cant check the temperatures ?

also check the bios .. i dunno if intel has provision for checkin temps in the bios or no

rajas

In the zone
I must thank Navjot in posing the question which is boggling my mind from months now. me and my frnds..5 of them have PC's with same config.

p4 2.4gigs, 256 megs ram, 845gvsr.

makes a hell out of noise. sometimes its so loud tat i feel it might blast my proc.

All my fans spinning, has very gud ventilation. I clean my machine once every month. is free from dirt/dust (I'm sure abt it).

I heard that the heatsink which goes with 2.4ghz cannot cool down the proc. must be true.

Ne..suggestions guys...???

Aanand

Journeyman
Hi Guys
how do u clean the dust? Is it OK to clean it with a paint brusht? Any cause of concern about static energy from nylon brushes? Please suggest the best way to clean the system!!! Is there any weblink to these things??

theraven

Technomancer
brushes are the best way
a blower will do it too

@rajas plz tell me what relation does the noise in ur pc have to the heat generated by it ?

tarey_g

Hanging, since 2004..
i have 2.4 too on a msi 865p neo mobo , no heating prob for me , my room is real hot in summer, also the room is on the top floor of the house so it get's really hot + i live in Rajasthan . so i don’t think that the heatsink which goes with 2.4ghz cannot cool down the proc. there shud be some other prob. chk if the fan above the processor heatsink is working properly or not .

btw the best way to keep ur pc cool is to open both panel's of the cabinet so the hot air doesn’t accumulate near the proccy and the graphic card. no matter how many fans u use in the cabinet for ventilation, to open the cab panels is the best way imo.

OP
N

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Yes I have heard that Intel 845GVSR with 2.4Ghz Pro does generate a lot of noise. My PC also makes hell lot of noise. Also I have tested my PC with every temp. monitoring software but all have failed as my mobo does not have temp. sensors.

@theraven - I know that its due to overheating as when i restart it says that PC was shutdown last time because of thermal problem(overheating).

I cleaned my PC today and problem has been solved. Thanks for quick replies.

Problem Solved Today. Thank You. Last Updated: Sep 22, 3:12P.M. IST

Incinerator

Broken In
A small n free util for keeping an eye on MB temp

A free util for keeping an eye on MB temp, very small in size :

Direct Link :
Code:
*www.almico.com/speedfan426.exe

Description : SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures in computers with hardware monitor chips. SpeedFan can even access S.M.A.R.T. info for those hard disks that support this feature and show hard disk temperatures too, if supported. SpeedFan supports SCSI drives too. SpeedFan can even change the FSB on some hardware (but this should be considered a bonus feature). At the lowest level, SpeedFan is an hardware monitor software that can access temperature sensors, but its main feature is that it can change fan speeds (depending on the capabilities of your sensor chip and your hardware) according to the temperatures inside your pc, thus reducing noise and power consumption. SpeedFan can help you to build your own silent pc.

OP
N

navjotjsingh

Wise Old Owl
Aanand said:
Hi Navjot,
How did you clean your PC? Please explain. Thanks.

Well Its very easy to clean it. I would recommend a vaccum cleaner to clean the inside of a PC. Just open the cabinet with the help of a screwdriver and run your vaccum cleaner over it. Don't ever blow air into the PC. Always suck air and dust. If you blow into it will scatter dust even more and can increase problems and ofcourse the dirt.

If you don't have vaccum cleaner (which I also don't have) take a clean cloth and rub all exposed portions. if you know how to open fans the clean those also. For tight spots I used a small old toothbrush to clean the exposed chips.

And then everthing worked fine after closing the cabinet again.

This should clear your thoughts. Bye for now.

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
hey !
Vaccum cleaner creates a lotta static, so all items may go bzz kzz like a radio and bust up !

Be careful though, dont focus it too much at a place...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom