Computer doesn't start up [Motherboard Problem?]

xenon91

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

A few days back, my computer just stopped starting up. I removed one of my two RAMs and everything went fine.
Another few days later, it stopped starting up again. Now isn't it extremely unlikely for two RAMs to fail within a week? Furthermore, I tried to boot it with working RAMs from my friend and it still didn't start up. POST screen is displayed, but doesn't get much ahead than that.

Does this mean my motherboard has failed? Or could some other component be causing this issue?
If the solution is to buy a new motherboard, could you suggest a motherboard too (I have an Intel Core 2 Duo E7400, LGA775 socket compatible)?

OP
X

xenon91

Config:
HP MCP73M01H1 (Napa) Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E7400,
1x2 GB, 1x1 GB DDR2 RAM,
nVidia GTX 660 2GB GDDR5 Graphic Card,
WD 500 GB HDD,
Corsair CX500 (500 W) Power Supply.

How could I update my BIOS if my computer does not go anywhere near the OS? It hangs up mostly in the POST screen itself.

Last edited:
Update the bios by putting the .bio file in a flash drive and pressing some motherboard specific key. Check the motherboard manufacturer's instructions.

Update the bios by putting the .bio file in a flash drive and pressing some motherboard specific key. Check the motherboard manufacturer's instructions.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
You do realize that if the system shuts down during bios flash, he would have his motherboard bricked? Its an HP OEM motherboard with no BIOS backup/restore option (I am assuming there is an HP specific bios considering that companies like foxconn may do some tinkering for OEM purposes).

Disconnect the SATA drives and the graphic cards, put those memory back, reset CMOS and then start the system. See if it boots up and says on 'no boot device' screen. If it doesn't, its either the memory kit or the motherboard- or maybe the processor is overheating. If it works, connect the SATA/ GPU at a time and see which fails during the troubleshooting cycle.

OP
X

xenon91

I unplugged every single component (HDD, Graphic Card and all peripherals); still it doesn't even go to till the screen which should say "Boot Device not found".
Does this mean the motherboard has a problem? If it is the case of a processor overheating, would it not even go till the BIOS settings screen?

I unplugged every single component (HDD, Graphic Card and all peripherals); still it doesn't even go to till the screen which should say "Boot Device not found".
Does this mean the motherboard has a problem? If it is the case of a processor overheating, would it not even go till the BIOS settings screen?

If it says boot device not found, problem might be with your hard disk. Try booting from ubuntu dvd.

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
If it says boot device not found, problem might be with your hard disk. Try booting from ubuntu dvd.

That's because I told him to plug to see if it boots towards that screen! >_>. You should read previous comments before posting.

@OP: It could be the power supply or motherboard or memory kit. You've tried it with your friend's memory kit and it didn't boot up so memory kits is ruled out. Test the power supply in another system, but before doing that try this:
How To: Jump Start A Power Supply (PSU) / Test A Power Supply And Components

If it doesn't work with the paper clip method or by booting on another system, that's the problem. Or else it narrows it down to the motherboard.

Top Bottom