Cleaning and Maintenance of HP Pavilion DV6-6165tx

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
It has been three years since my purchase of DV6-6165tx laptop. It was doing good in its initial stage (good battery life, low temperature during gaming, fast booting etc.) but now it is working too slow!! The temperature reaches 90+C during gaming (in Performance mode of HP Coolsense) and 80C (in coolest mode with turbo boost disabled). Also the temperature remains at around 54C on normal usage. After the keyboard stopped working I replaced it with a new Chinese brand keyboard as the HP keyboard was not available anywhere. After removing I noticed that keyboard gets fitted completely but not perfectly( there is some gap in the upper side). Anyway, My question is:

Please suggest a thermal paste and all other required stuff to clean this laptop hassle free. ( I don't want to damage it as I am new in DIY thing! so , if possible, please guide me how to remove every screws and paste and clean everything properly). My budget is Rs.1000 (INR). I will order everything from online stores (Indian of course) as soon as possible because I want this laptop to play GTA V and Far Cry 4 at medium settings with good/playable fps.
Please help me. Thanks.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Get Noctua NT-H1, Isopropyl Alcohol (nail polish remover also works but can be risky) and a Jackly 31-in-1 screw driver set. As for how to remove the screws and disassemble the laptop, watch some tutorials.

OP
G

Gourav Kundu

Journeyman
Get Noctua NT-H1, Isopropyl Alcohol (nail polish remover also works but can be risky) and a Jackly 31-in-1 screw driver set. As for how to remove the screws and disassemble the laptop, watch some tutorials.

Thanks for your reply but the prices of the components you listed are not in my budget (1000 INR)...all adds up to around 1.9k. Also, I would like to know whether simply cleaning dust would solve the issues ? Or is it necessary to apply a new thermal paste ? Can I apply deo or lcd screen cleaner spray instead of isopropyl Alcohol ?

Amazon.in: Buy Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound Online at Low Prices in India | noctua Reviews & Ratings
Original Jackly 31 IN 1 Multifunction Magnetic Screwdriver Toolkit N 1002 | eBay

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
Buy Online Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound in India
Rs 490

Buy Jackly 31-In-1 Screw Driver Set Magnetic Toolkit @ Best Prices | Snapdeal
Rs 45.

I won't use anything else other than isopropyl alcohol unless I didn't had it. Nail polish remover can be used, because like isoproply alcohol, it leaves no residue behind while Deo or LCD screen cleaner spray may leave residue. This is dangerous from cooling point of view. Once you unscrew the heatsink assembly and remove it, you have to replace the thermal paste. Cleaning dust isn't as effective as replacing thermal paste.

Top Bottom