Civilization V: Brave new World

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
Civilization 5: Brave New World Gameplay Walkthrough! Portugal, Culture, World Congress, and more!

Looks awesome.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Thats a good news...I am a civilization 5 fan now...but didnt like one fact that there r no robots even in most advance ages....it was fun in rise of nations game :)

Digital Fragger

A Functioning God
how do i capture a city in civ 5.. :(
it is near to impossible to me though i keep on attacking a city with ranged units. waiting for melee unit to attack once health goes critical but it's health keep growing after every turn..

Sarang\m/

Journeyman
Bring a variety of ranged units like archers, catapaults, trebuchets and a strong melee unit to fortify until the city health becomes critical. But it depends on the defense of the city and your position of attacking. You need more attack power as the city defense increases. And it depends on some other things also like if you are attacking across the river then you'll take more damage and deal less damage. Just make sure you have more attack power than city health gain so that the attack doesn't go in vain. At times i start hitting with the melee before the critical health and get heal now when my soldiers level up. Or sometimes I take two melee units and keep hitting and healing. I am ot very good in the game but i have found success via these methods. You may ask in civfanatics forums , they give good tips and are happy to help.

OP
H

heidi2521

Padawan
how do i capture a city in civ 5.. :(
it is near to impossible to me though i keep on attacking a city with ranged units. waiting for melee unit to attack once health goes critical but it's health keep growing after every turn..

Which era are you in? I won't recommend trying to capture cities very early in the game via brute force.

To be able to capture a city take atleast 2 - 3 melee units, 2 ranged units and a catapult. Keep on bombarding the city with your ranged units and catapult and withdraw them and fortify them until healed when they accrue significant damage. Keep your melee unit in "fortify until healed" when not being used to try and take some of the enemy bombardment off your ranged units. Try and use your melee units to ensure that your ranged units do not get damaged, but do not be afraid to use your ranged units to protect themselves or other friendly units. Attack the city with your melee units from time to time if they are inactive and in full health and refortify them as soon as possible. Once the city is weak enough, attack with all your melee units in the same turn and take over the city. Try keeping a great general nearby for the combat bonus. Do not be afraid to withdraw if your units are weak. Make sure that the city doesn't heal more than you damage it. Take advantage of unit promotions and make sure that you don't get a tile disadvantage due attacking over a river.

It is possible to take cities with small forces and different setups, but for an inexperienced map starer, this should be a cheap but effective strategy. Once you play the game enough you should be able to think up your own strategies and create unit setups more suited to the city you are trying to capture.

Top Bottom