choosing DSLR - Nikon/Canon @ <32K

choudang

Padawan
hi guys ... need some 'GYAN' from the experts

i am planning to buy a DSLR for personal use, and need to decide which one to opt. secondly, the lens factor is way above from my understand. so i need some detail gyan from you guys.

there are three models in my mind, Nikon 3100, 3000 and Canon 1000D, my friends are suggesting me to opt 3100 or 3000, basic diff is 31 is 14.1 mpx and 30 is 10.1 mpx, apart from mpx factor with is not a very important factor to choose, HD recording can be done with 31. need to googling for 1000D AFAIK, 1000D is very very entry level.

what is lens factor, while going thru with nikon, there are two types DX and FX, what are these??? whats the type of zoom i.e coolpix has 26x optical zoom, who should i know about zoom level in lenses. is there any X factor in DSLR

my basic requirement is for personal use as i travel a lot, sometimes its so annoying to take a pic without satisfactory zoom level.

need some GYAN guys.......

sujoyp

Grand Master
umm U have soo many questions...to start with one by one

1.D3100 pic qulaity is better then 1000D and D3000
2. D3100 HD recording is not much useful ..my nokia 5800 can take better video then that.
3. DX are cropped sensor lens and FX are full frame sensor type of lenses..in simple language..if u purchase a 1 lac Pro DSLR then u would compulsary have to get a FX lens
4. dONT EXPECT 26X IN DSLR ....the kit lens 18-55 is like a 3x zoom lens....a 18-105 is like a 7-8x zoom lens...if somehow u ever take a 100-500 lens it would I think reach the zoom of 20x...but will cost a bomb

5. for high quality pic dslr r really the best...even if u take pics on auto;-)

6. For hassel free pic taking get a Canon SX30 type of cam which can have good zoom, good pics and u dont have to think of lens change, fungus, moisture, new lenses every now n then:grin:

I hope other knowledgeble will give more info:smile:

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
thanks sujoy ... anyway D31 is not for v recording, after googling lots of articles, i am making my way to D31.

FYI, i am not expecting 26x zoom, just trying to understand the zoom level. if i am comparing nikon cp 100P with D31 with 18-105, coolpix vl sht better zoom pic compared to d31, is it?

sujoyp

Grand Master
1 thing is that DSLR can get more details on picture so u can crop it easily and create a zoomed effect:smile::grin:

and a point and shoot can not be compared to DSLR anyways...a point & shoot with 3x zoom will make picture with less details and can have bit of distortions...a 3x with DSLR will have same quality what u get without zoom.

I got D3100 for 29k in Jan...with bill and warunty...what price u r getting

Zangetsu

I am the master of my Fate.
4. dONT EXPECT 26X IN DSLR ....the kit lens 18-55 is like a 3x zoom lens....a 18-105 is like a 7-8x zoom lens...if somehow u ever take a 100-500 lens it would I think reach the zoom of 20x...but will cost a bomb

not more than 26X...then what is user wants a wildlife photography
where zooming is essential.:grin:

u got @29k with VR Kit or without VR Kit?

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
@Zangetsu, i was wondering the same piece.

I am getting the whole piece @31/K [with kit] and @26.5K without kit.

now getting into the lens dilemma, FX Nikkor lenses are meant for Pro SLRs, for D3100 DX nikkor lenses will be sufficient :lol: from the info that i have gathered, we must change the lens [18-55 mm] to get the better result with D3100.

while going thru, found Nikon CoolPix P500 is capable of 36x optical zooming using inbuilt 4.0-144 mm 1:3.5-5.7 nikkor lens. that means 18-55mm is equivalent to 2-3x zooming. so if i go with 55-300 mm @19K or 55-200mm @9K, is it worth to go? what would be the difference between 18-55 mm and 55-200/55-300 mm ????

going to purchase it by next week

sujoyp

Grand Master
My D3100 is with VR kit for 29k......32k is its MRP

@Zangetsu...u r right 26x zoom is needed for wildlife...but didnt u noticed the word "Cost a bomb":grin:

Bro spending on lens is your own choice according to budget...if u have 19k get that 55-300...and if u have just 9k then go with 55-200mm

I donno u know it or not but only Nikon AFS lens would autofocus on D3100 so better read the lens specs carefully...

I am getting Tamron 70-300mm or AFS 55-200 VR probably next month

Actually dont count zoom on lens in terms of 1x-3x 5x....We count it 'mm' like a 50mm lens would take pic exactly like our own eyes...the things will look that big...when u take pic at 18mm it feels things r far away but it would take a wider pic..I would show u a pic later which will clear ur funda

Last edited:
OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
yup sujoy, i know that only n AFS would AF on D31 because d31 doesnot AF motor on it, so you have to depend on the AF lens.

hmm, seems sumthing is trying to get sum cells in my brain :mrgreen:

i think it would be better to buy the thing with kit 18-55mm and add 55-200 mm on top of it.

waiting for your pic buddy, it would be very helpful to me if you took a pic without zoom and another one with full zoom [18-55mm] so that i can assume the zoom level.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Pic at 18mm

*lh5.googleusercontent.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/TYIq8IqizuI/AAAAAAAAF40/9z1zUhGBqAI/s800/DSC_1470.jpg

Pic at 55mm

*lh6.googleusercontent.com/_9a5lKZR2-08/TYIrC1QI_dI/AAAAAAAAF44/66A7gp2Dwh4/s144/DSC_1471.jpg

I find 55mm very slightly nearer then what eye can see..soo I can see zoom effect is minimum

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
thanks sujoy, but still i am not able see the perfection as both are diff in size.. anyway ... the x-factor for DSLR lenses are quite interesting, if i talk abt 18-55mm then 55/18 = 3x and it continues, i am still confused, 55-300mm is abt 6x. its a nob-dumb qns abt diff between 18-55mm and 55-200mm lenses. say i want take pic of a bird which is on 4th floor, is 55-200mm would be sufficient to zoom upto that level?

*img855.imageshack.us/img855/607/dscn1898.jpg

this pic was taken with Nikon CP P100 @ 8x from 10 mtr distance, what would be the diff.

sujoyp

Grand Master
Sorry for different size..but I can assure u that the zoom is very less in 18-55...also if u want to have bird and squirrel pic its better to get an 55-300 or 70-300 lens...55-200 is less but u can crop the pic a bit to get your result:grin:

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
okay . so any other suggestions .. one of my colleagues has suggested D5000 which extends my budget by 5K

sujoyp

Grand Master
I donno y but at your place DSLR costs just too much...here I can get D5000 for 32-33k.

Anyways D5000 wont give much above D3100 ....If u want to really have upgraded features then get either Canon 550D or Nikon D90.. below that it seems all of the DSLR are somewhat similar.

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
:shock::shock: D5000 @32K with 18-55mm VR?? yaar, can you give me some contacts so that i can close my plan. extending 3k is not a big deal. again D31x has 14 mpx where D5x is 12 pmx [550d is 18 mpx]

i have gone thru some reviews on D3100 vs D5000 vs 550D, it says that image quality with 550D will be better [in raw & jpeg] than D5x and D31x, but you have to compromise with some features. and with canon, lenses will be a bit costly compared to Nikkor.

with price factor, i am willing to go with D31x but .. yeh dil mange more :grin:

sujoyp

Grand Master
the only problem with nikon is that some lens af and some not...in canon all lens af with all body..soo no confusion....i dont find anything missing in 3100

sujoyp

Grand Master
bro I am from Nagpur...I would have happily given u contact but they dont send couriers..I already asked for someone and the shopkeeper said that they deal in cash only and would not send anywhere.:)

OP
choudang

choudang

Padawan
thats not an issue.... i can get it from there also. all i need to send a request to one of colleague to pick it up.

sujoyp

Grand Master
thats not an issue.... i can get it from there also. all i need to send a request to one of colleague to pick it up.

Ok then its great...

If he knows Nagpur then tell him to go to
Sitabirdie -> Apna Bazar or hotel orange city parking -> He will see a big mobile/electronic shop in the orange city building...name is Mobile Magic or all imported (do not remember)..
u will surely get D3100 @ 29k with all bill and warrunty

If price have changed a bit please dont blame me...I got it for 29k in January this year

Top Bottom