Choosing between a Console and Desktop/Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

rixon.d9

Journeyman
I have to decide one of the most confusing things I have in my mind right now. Gaming , Football and Torrent download is what I do all day. Being at work still have a passion for games. I want need some help in choosing which equipments to buy.

1. Thinking to assemble a Gaming Desktop.
2. Also need a TV to watch Football using DTH connection.
3. If I buy a TV ,Console( PS4 or XBOX ONE ) will be cheaper than PC.

Few things I would like to know , Is gaming on consoles better than on PC ? I heard there are many games only meant for Consoles ? Also Can I use my desktop monitor as TV and connect DTH ? Or Can I use TV as Desktop monitor ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
If you go by the variety and visuals PC is the best. If you only play games with gamepad then opt for console. Yes there's console only game but lots of them gets ported to pc sooner or later and there's also PC exclusive titles.

You can use your desktop monitor as TV and connect DTH but for that you may need to buy a supported TV tuner card or the monior and DTH box both having HDMI port.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Is gaming on consoles better than on PC ?
Which came earlier? The chicken or the egg? You will have different answers always. It's the same about Consoles and PC gaming. The only difference is, for the latter people know what's better, but it's just pure fanboyism, ignorance and lack of knowledge.
The big question is, how much are you devoted into gaming? If you are one of those casual gamers, who play a game once and then don't play for a long while, and quality means nothing to you, then I would advice you go for Console. But if you are a serious and enthusiast, then there is no option other than PC, given you are heavily loaded. Playing games in Consoles and future upgrades a LOT cheaper than PC gaming, and I am sure you know that already.
There is no competition there brother, PC gaming never had any rivalry, and there is none as of yet. Now if you keep Googling about the matter you might go in a limbo and never find the answer, so decide with your brain.
And yes, you can use TV as a monitor (but I will look for the lowest input lag ones). And when done, use it as TV normally.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
I have to decide one of the most confusing things I have in my mind right now. Gaming , Football and Torrent download is what I do all day. Being at work still have a passion for games. I want need some help in choosing which equipments to buy.

1. Thinking to assemble a Gaming Desktop.
2. Also need a TV to watch Football using DTH connection.
3. If I buy a TV ,Console( PS4 or XBOX ONE ) will be cheaper than PC.

Few things I would like to know , Is gaming on consoles better than on PC ? I heard there are many games only meant for Consoles ? Also Can I use my desktop monitor as TV and connect DTH ? Or Can I use TV as Desktop monitor ?

how will ps4/xbox one with a tv be cheaper than a pc?? they are priced at 40k minimum and are terrible compared to an entry level desktop imo
get a desktop and a tv instead
buy a tv tuner card for the desktop and use windows media centre or a linux based alernative
much better choice
plus xbox 360 controllers etc work fine on windows (need a dongle,available in stores)
as for split screen games,very few support it but titles such as left4dead,l4d2,dirt3 ,blur etc support splitscreen fully

hope i helped :)

source for whatever i mentioned above- been there done that,have a similiar setup with a home server,media home setup so i can stream anywhere in the house from my nas drives etc
with airplay mirroring and accessible on all devices

It all depends on your needs.

I personally prefer a PC attached to a TV, but that's my :2cents: this article can help u if you need itBuild a PC for the Price of a PS4-IGN

But there are a a lot of console users also. A better idea will be to fill out the questionnaire and depending on that u can decide if u need a PC or a console. Link-*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/149943-asking-new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

Shiva

007roh

Broken In
PS4 or Xbox One will cost you 38k and 50k+ respectively. You can't flash/mod the PS4 and Xbox One as of now.Which means you will need to buy original games which will cost you 3.5k-4k each even 2 year old games will cost you 1k or more.
To play Multiplayer you will need subscription for both PS4 and Xbox One which can cost you as much as 3.5k a year.

Now some plus points for consoles. All games for consoles works without any problems or whatsoever. Consoles do get some pretty good exclusive games.

P.S- PC will be cheaper in the long run (considering you do not plan to flash/mod you console) with better graphics in almost all games. Also games for PC are in the range of sub 2k and when get old they drop below 1k.

OP
R

rixon.d9

Journeyman
A better idea will be to fill out the questionnaire and depending on that u can decide if u need a PC or a console.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run?
Ans: Playing games such as Call of Duty, GTA V , Fifa and others at high resolutions. Will be doing a lot of downloading and web browsing. Watchin HD movies and more importantly Will use to watch TV telecast.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: Around 60K. Flexible :)

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: well not yet decided bcz i feel there's no point in overclocking new PC. NO from my side unless someone can convince why should I need to Overclock.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows8

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 2TB . Considering the event of fatal breakdowns should I go for 2 1TB drives or a single 2TB drive. SSD depends on the additional cost. Dont want to compromise Gaming perfomance like a cheaper GPU

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: Yes. 24inches or more . Question is can I buy a 32inch TV with HDMI and use as my PC monitor and as TV?

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Keyboard.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: April First week 2014

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Haven't built one, with tutorials and help from this forum willing to do it myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Buying in UAE

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans: How much does a TV tuner cost ? Can I switch between TV and CPU several times? Like toggle or need to disconnect cabl

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
i5 4570 - 13k
gigbyte ga b85m d3h- 5.5k
kingston hyperx blu / gskill ripjaws x / corsair vengeance 4gb -2.75k(whichever cheaper)
sapphire / asus/ HIS 280x - 24.5k
wd blue 1tb -3.8k / seagate 2tb - 5.8k
asus odd -1k
antec vp550p - 3.5k
cooler master n300 - 3.3k
dell s2240l - 8.6k / AOC i2369vm - 12k / HP 22FI - 11k
logitech k/b - 0.3k

@rijinpk1; don;t just go ahead and post configs, read all post first.

@OP; I'll ask you to self analyze your gaming requirements. These questions will help in the process:

1. Have you ever played games yourself on a console or PC at your friend's place or somewhere else? Remember those moments and see for yourself what you likes and disliked about both.

2. What type of games do you like the most: racing, sports, FPS or something else?

3. Do you have a another PC for work?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist

@OP; I'll ask you to self analyze your gaming requirements. These questions will help in the process:

1. Have you ever played games yourself on a console or PC at your friend's place or somewhere else? Remember those moments and see for yourself what you likes and disliked about both.

2. What type of games do you like the most: racing, sports, FPS or something else?

what is wrong in my post?
op should have got convinced that he will be getting a pc rather than a console and that is why he answered those questionnaire.

OP
R

rixon.d9

Journeyman

1. I have been playing games on low res with mediocre config for 2 years. Someone told me gaming on console is better than PC. Also recent cries of PC gamers that GTA 5 not releasing yet for PC, worried what if other devolopers follow the same strategy !
2. I play mostly FIFA and FPS games.
3. I dont have a alternate PC. I need to browse , download stuff from the web. Is that possible with PS4 to download torrents to eternal HDD ?
The reason why i thought of buying PS4 is because I need a Big screen to watch football. So the Idea was TV + PS4, but since i can use my monitor as TV CPU sounds better.

If you don;t need to do much on PC other than gaming and downloading, a console + TV will be better. You can browse Internet on consoles too. For downloading torrents, there are special routers available which can download torrent themselves without any PC.

kkn13

Cyber Genius FTW
@harshilsharma63 sorry to say this, but that's terrible advice.consoles can't do anything properly except for games (which also run worse than pcs). The web browsers etc of consoles are the worst not to mention that they are limited in everything they do.

Want to play games- expensive compared to pc games, plays at lower settings , requires updates to system firmware to play most of the times.

Want to browse the internet-web browser doesn't support flash properly , forget extensions and customisation ; doesn't support "regular" accessories or can't even use ur phone to control the system(keyboard mouse replacement).

Want to watch a movie- doesn't support regular file systems such as NTFS so the blu ray rips can't be played off that external hdd of urs , ps4/xbox one don't even support attaching external hdds or pendrives and all need the controller/dualshock to control everything (the bd remotes are no longer sold for ps3).

As for the "special" routers u are talking about, if ur talking about the ones with linux and open source stuff , they cost a lot of money and don't work as expected. If u mean DDWRT or tomato firmware based routers, they void warranty and are risky and worse than consoles forget a pc.

Windows media center or other linux based alternatives such as XBMC which have a lot of customisation options and official and unoffiacial support to keep going for a loong time. U need to research properly harshil , consoles are known for being lower than pcs for gaming forget other functions.

@OP don't worry, gta 5 for pc may come they are delaying as they are trying to squeeze every bit of money from the console versions imho. As for developers leaving pc, that's not gonna happen coz the ps4/xbox one have "dumbed down" x86 architecture running custom hardware and OS eg ps4 runs orbis OS , a freebsd port and xbox one runs a custom windows 8.1 kernel so developers will make games for all 3 easily and PCs may get the games first coz they create games on Pcs with the console SDKs so its easier to port either ways

Last edited:
OP
R

rixon.d9

Journeyman
Well now I know what I want, Cheers guys PC gaming is still alive. Get me a config. Also the TV tuner ( not included in the budget ). Need a good GPU. In the mean time i'll search other threads.

ithehappy

Human Spambot
Lol, PC gaming was always alive, and I don't see it getting fainted any time near. That's actually gaming brother, again, no offence to anyone.
For the specs, fill out that form, with your budget, experienced member will definitely advice you something good and vfm. Best of luck.

puneet785

Broken In
PC games comes in much cheaper rates compared to gaming consoles.
with tv tuner card and HDMI support can make your monitor working for dish TV.
properly configured PC can beat consoles in some cases like SNIPER GHOST games.
post your budget and specification.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom