Choosing between a Console and Desktop/Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

anirbandd

Conversation Architect
Both are good in there own way. In consoles you have the stability and peace of mind that a game will run no matter what, with the down side that new games are damn costly. But you wouldnt have to worry about hardware upgrade and all.. Also the games will be much smooth.

In pc the games are cheap, have better control, and the PC itself is a world of never ending possibilities.. But you have to worry about costly hardware upgrades after every 2-3 years.

But its all just how you want your games. ;)

OP
R

rixon.d9

Journeyman
was away for few days, planning to buy april first week.
Complete the config:

Intel or AMD. Better gaming performer.
MOBO-NO IDEA
4GBx2 RAM ( Suggest multiple brands and frequency, as some brands are not available in UAE )
2TB HDD or 1TB + SSD ? Does SSD improve gaming performance ? I want better gameplay than loading speed.
Graphics read about r9 280 series. There are multiple editions again confused
How much Watt PSU will be needed ? Again multiple brands.
Cabinet prefer cooler master as I see shops selling only CM here. Will I require addtional cooler?
Monitor Should I go for TN or IPS panel ? Dell ? Size should not to be a burden on my gpu,same time need to Watch Dish HD Sports channels on the monitor.

DONT NEED OPTICAL DRIVE AND KEYBOARD.Need Gaming mouse for Aprrox 2.5k( not included in budget,will purchase later )

i5 4570 - 13k
gigbyte ga b85m d3h- 5.5k
kingston hyperx blu / gskill ripjaws x / corsair vengeance 4gb -2.75k(whichever cheaper)
sapphire / asus/ HIS 280x - 24.5k
wd blue 1tb -3.8k / seagate 2tb - 5.8k
asus odd -1k
antec vp550p - 3.5k
cooler master n300 - 3.3k
dell s2240l - 8.6k / AOC i2369vm - 12k / HP 22FI - 11k
logitech k/b - 0.3k

Go with this. reg the mouse, get the g400 or razor deathadder.

Shiva

OP
R

rixon.d9

Journeyman
i5 4570 - 13k
gigbyte ga b85m d3h- 5.5k
kingston hyperx blu / gskill ripjaws x / corsair vengeance 4gb -2.75k(whichever cheaper)
sapphire / asus/ HIS 280x - 24.5k
wd blue 1tb -3.8k / seagate 2tb - 5.8k
asus odd -1k
antec vp550p - 3.5k
cooler master n300 - 3.3k
dell s2240l - 8.6k / AOC i2369vm - 12k / HP 22FI - 11k
logitech k/b - 0.3k

Dont need a KB and ODD.
Need alternative for PSU . corsair maybe ?
Does SSD improve gaming performance or just loading time ?

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Dont need a KB and ODD.
Need alternative for PSU . corsair maybe ?
Does SSD improve gaming performance or just loading time ?

you can go for corsair gs 600 /seasonic s12 ii 520/620.
ssd does not bring much improvement on gaming. ssd will benefit when loading games and saving data onto hdd, but not game play. so i would advice you to skip ssd now.

- - - Updated - - -

for mouse, get logitech g400s

rijinpk1

Aspiring Novelist
Because last time i went to build a rig here in Dubai it was flooded with Corsair, not sure if they have Antec ! Although if u recommend first choice Antec subject to availability

you can consider corsair gs 600 if antec availability is a problem.

Sarath

iDota
I would suggest you invest in a bigger monitor something like a 23-24". I prefer IPS panels because they are miles ahead of TN panels and also are good for gaming. But since they cost more, I suggest you go for the biggest monitor size your budget allows.

IMO ditch any thoughts about SSDs. I see them as an unnecessary expense which can be skipped for a few years, this despite me owning one. Not that they are bad but that at 7k for a decent 256GB they simply do not feel justified.

---

Also remember when choosing a PC over consoles:

1. You will be missing out on a lot of good games which are exclusive to consoles. Heck even if you buy a console you will miss out on certain gems because then you have to choose between console exclusives.

2. The same games usually come out on PCs later than on Consoles. GTA for example. This is not usually a problem because PC has many games but particularly frustrating because games like GTA are really the biggest games that come out in a year. This happens to a few (good) games every year.

3. The convenience of console gaming can never be matched by a PC and the versatility of the other cannot be matched by the console.

4. Your PC will degrade over the year while the console will actually turn out better looking games as years go by.

5. Console usually have a generation span of 10 years, which means the console you buy today will serve you for ten years although it might not last that long. But that it will continue to receive the latest games well into the future. A gaming PC might not run as well in six years, ten is a distant dream.

------

I am just stating the above points from my experience of owning both the gaming devices (not the PS4 yet, maybe next year). A lot of people are disillusioned into thinking that a gaming PC is the ultimate gaming device or that a console is so much better than the PC in every way but it is not. You will be sacrificing a lot if you ditch one for other. This is why many buy a console even after putting together a gaming rig or vice versa. You will have to live with your choices and sacrifice some of the games.

Having said that in your case it does look like a gaming PC will be more useful to you than a console.

Arjun609

The Don's Decision.
Console just for a slight show off and some consoles are slim and portable

If you want a portable pc go like alienware x51(If You assemble Comes Around 40K)

Final: PC is better and has many uses than console
PC's Gaming is always the better than Console

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom