Choosing A DISTRO??? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

antoniobc

Broken In
Well I couldnt find another thread which could solve this problem that I'm facing right now! THE BIG QUESTION, that everyone shifting from a Windows base to Linux asks.............
WHICH LINUX DISTRO SHOULD I USE!

If you are like me. I bought an old comp (Not Hi-fi i.e : CHEAP) to try out different distro's! Tried, SUSE 10.1, SLED 10, Ubuntu, Mandriva, Fedora and God only knows wat else!

But I still can't make up my mind!

At this point of time I don't really know programming nor do I have a hold of the commands and programs used to tweek the OS!

Please could someone suggest which LINUX DISTRO I could use, which would boost system performance of a 1Ghz Celeron Processor with 256Megs of RAM!

If anyone has a similar difficulty, please post here too!

Pathik

Google Bot
i myself m a noob in linux like u :)) and i wd neday prefer mandriva 07 or fc6 to start with rather than ubuntu 6.10... But 4 ur config u ll hv to use a old distro.. Mebbe mandrake 10

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Try Zenwalk. Andy told me that it is nice. I haven't tried it myself but I know zenwalk is based on slackware which is optimised for low config machines. Infact slackware server runs on PIII 600MHz with 512 MB of RAM. See here *www.slackware.com/about/
So, zenwalk should be nice.
Another choice is vector linux *www.vectorlinux.com/
I haven't tried either but both should be nice for your PC.
Another one you can try is Xubuntu, it has XFCE, which is low on resources. And the best thing is that Xubuntu is very similar to Ubuntu so lot of users will be familiar with it.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hi,
I am newbie than all of you in linux.
I am currently running Ubuntu 6.10. This is the first time i can configure(can able to do basic stuff) linux as well as windows with the major help took from the Ubuntu india forum.

I discover that maintaining(enable write permission) a NTFS partition is major problem in ubuntu and I can't able to figure out the long procedure described in the original ubuntu forum for my own.

So please suggest a distro which I can easily use(read/write/exceute and auto mount the partition) NTFS partition.please don't suggest knopixx...I want a permanent distro not a live.

The Distro Must have:-
1.Easy to configure my Boradband(dataone) connection,
2.Easy Install/Uninstall program,
3.Play all types of media file specially divx movies and mp3 file
4.provision for use torrent client.
5.And please suggest which Anti-Virus compatiable with that distro and the configaration page.(in ubuntu i use avast)
6.the distro must have enough compatiable program.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Try Ubuntu christmas edition *ubuntusoftware.info/xmas.html
And why do you want anti-virus for?
I guess 18000+ compiled programs are good enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom