Cheap Monitor quest* (*-quest itself is not cheap XD)

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
I don't know about you but I would never use or buy a Rs.400 earphone & in my opinion 1k earphone is min for those who care about sound quality.
Dunno amazon basics do it for me :), I mean its better than having no earphones. And later down the line you can even upgrade to a decent headphone...........

Last edited:
OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

Good TN panels are rare and can only be better than an average IPS, not those 100% sRGB IPS (which even that 8k IPS has apparently, the BenQ one). TN just has bad colours & contrast. But TN has fastest response times, so competitive gamers do go for those, like 240/300Hz monitors sacrificing image quality. For most people, IPS & VA are better choices.
Oh, I see...........

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

Buying a monitor has been more headache than I was prepared for. Guess I should just save upto minimum 8k to avoid those hefty bezels and TN panel as my earlier monitor is functional even now, I just needed to upgrade.

If anyone is interested its this - Dell E1609W Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor Details | Dell Aruba
I know, I know , its specs are laughable , but it was a real beauty at that time when CRTs were still a thing.

I WILL RETURN!

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I think the point which whitestar was trying to make (and not actual concluding) is minimum and maximum varies for everyone by many factors like:
1. Enthusiast (like a photo enthusiast would spent a minimum amount which might be maximum for a non enthusiast)
2. Your budget and the value of money (simply put rich / poor)
3. Age and gender of person
4. Your actual requirement from a product (like if you only need phone to make call, your max budget = minimum budget for someone who wants to do more)

Similarly, in terms of monitor, there can't be absolute min or max. It depends on how much value and future proofing you want from your monitor. More the better.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

I think the point which whitestar was trying to make (and not actual concluding) is minimum and maximum varies for everyone by many factors like:
1. Enthusiast (like a photo enthusiast would spent a minimum amount which might be maximum for a non enthusiast)
2. Your budget and the value of money (simply put rich / poor)
3. Age and gender of person
4. Your actual requirement from a product (like if you only need phone to make call, your max budget = minimum budget for someone who wants to do more)

Similarly, in terms of monitor, there can't be absolute min or max. It depends on how much value and future proofing you want from your monitor. More the better.
Oh, thanks for putting things in perspective.
(tho, I think ur 3rd point, esp. the gender part is not correct? I mean, I can't think of any product where a specific gender needs to spend more, esp. on a tech product.)

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Not us, we want powerful, beastly machine, that we can get for sale prices. xD

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

So, yes "increasing budget to get the most bang for buck" holds true for everything in the tech world.
Ok, so I am back with a increased budget this time, ~8K. I think it would be sensible to fill the questionnaire again, but most requirements remains unchanged.
1. Budget?
Preferably 8k but instead of buying crap I would increase my budget.

2. Display type and size?
Display size = I currently have a 15.6 inch ,so ANYTHING would be upgrade.
Type - Dunno. But CRT and OLED(cause budget) are out of equation, won't buy TN panel as okish viewing distance is a requirement

3. What will the TV/monitor be used for primarily?
Everything ranging from gaming to office work to web browsing to moderate content creation/consumption.

4. Types and number of ports required?
HDMI is a requirement, won't complain if a VGA is thrown into mix.

5. Preferred choice of brand?
None , but obviously won't consider an unreliable brand.

6. Any TV/monitor in consideration?
NA

7. Any other info that you want to share.
i. Freesync at this budget? I don't think so :(
ii. Please don't suggest any weird aspect ratios and the monitor should have a resolution of (greater than or) equal to 1080P
PS. I looked at the monitors you guys suggested at 8K price range, and those seem to go up to 11K recently, what happened? The market seems higher than before in general, is it even a good time to buy a monitor? I knew nothing of a monitor price jump up this pandemic.

quicky008

Technomancer
earlier you could get 22" monitors within 8-9k,but as of now most of their prices have increased to ~10k.It maybe the result of supply shortages on the account of the pandemic.

earlier you could get 22" monitors within 8-9k,but as of now most of their prices have increased to ~10k.It maybe the result of supply shortages on the account of the pandemic.
It seems rise in basic monitor prices is because of rise of WFH as premium monitors didn't get more expensive, in fact gaming monitors are better & cheaper than ever. Seeing a normal 24" 1080p IPS at 12-13k vs a gaming 144Hz one with height-adjustable stand at 16k these days.

Nah, I'd make do with my 1366*786 discontinued dell monitor, and wait, since I have already waited around 1 year already.
Jump from 768p to 1080p is a big one compared to 1080p to 1440p & so on for monitors. With WFH here to stay, any of the sales were the right time to buy. With all the uncertainties & rising inflation, maybe the prices will never fall down to pre-2020 level.

vito scalleta

In the zone
Nah, I'd make do with my 1366*786 discontinued dell monitor, and wait, since I have already waited around 1 year already.
Did you ever consider trying second hand ?
Many IT professionals upgraded their work setups during work from home and their older monitors can still be good enough for use. I would advice to try Olx or your local facebook marketplace groups.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
maybe the prices will never fall down to pre-2020 level.
Yeah. But expect this for every PC component. Now those corporate people know for sure whatever is available will sell regardless of the price. 3060Ti which performs almost equal to 2080S, just half the price! I had my eye on this and was planning to upgrade in this year but it's not going to happen. Sigh.

It was in 2020.. I got a 24inch FHD monitor for 8.5k. Now that costs 14k rs.
Monitor prices in 2020 were THE best prices IIRC. Those prices were lower than how it had been previous years, basically mean to say I don't think those were normal prices.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah. But expect this for every PC component. Now those corporate people know for sure whatever is available will sell regardless of the price. 3060Ti which performs almost equal to 2080S, just half the price! I had my eye on this and was planning to upgrade in this year but it's not going to happen. Sigh.
It has more to do with chip shortage in various sectors & cryptocurrency craze.

TheSloth

The Slowest One
It has more to do with chip shortage in various sectors & cryptocurrency craze.
I understand that this but we will not get old prices again even after the chip shortage issue is resolved. Of course I cannot say this 100% certainity as a fact but I do not have hope.

Top Bottom