Cheap Monitor quest* (*-quest itself is not cheap XD)

Æsoteric Positron

I AM GROOT (and so are you)
Hey fellow geeks!
I am in the market for a new monitor for around 5k , but I can't find any good monitors around my budget :'(

this one looks good but is sadly over my measly budget of 5k - Amazon.in: Buy HP 22 inch(54.61 cm) Ultra-Slim Anti Glare Full HD LED Monitor - 3 Side Micro Bezel, IPS Panel with VGA, HDMI Ports - HP 22m Display - 3WL45AA (Black) Online at Low Prices in India | HP Reviews & Ratings

I haven't changed my monitor for a long time so I am still in a uncertainity about the min. budget that's required to buy a moderately decent monitor.
So, my question is this -: are good monitors not available below 5k price mark? IF yes then send link if no then also please do send the links for the products ;)

If a questionnaire for monitors exist I would be more than happy to fill it.

For now tho what imp. info I can give is this -: the monitor will see all kinds of work , from gaming to basic content creation.............. Don't hesitate if you have any other question to ask.

So, fellow geeks can you help me out here?

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
5K is a very low budget for a monitor that would be used for all kinds of work, like gaming as well as content creation.
And you didn't even mention lowest size you are willing to go for.
You can easily get 19" or lower monitor in under 5k.
Better to go for EMI than go for cheaper monitor.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

5K is a very low budget for a monitor that would be used for all kinds of work, like gaming as well as content creation.
And you didn't even mention lowest size you are willing to go for.
You can easily get 19" or lower monitor in under 5k.
Better to go for EMI than go for cheaper monitor.
Thanks for the enlightenment :) , I knew something was wrong there.......
Can you tell me how much I need to expand my budget to buy a good monitor? Can you send me the link of those 19" monitors so that if I can decide would they be suitable for me? Beware though the content creation part would be not professional(that was to show that the monitor would be used for some content creation), moderately good reproduction (or less then that)would be ok for me
Same goes for the gaming aspect.

I would use the monitor for those tasks but the work would not be anywhere near professional.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

1. Budget?
Preferably 5k but instead of buying crap I would increase my budget.

2. Display type and size?
Display size = I currently have a 15.6 inch ,so ANYTHING would be upgrade.
Type - Dunno. But CRT and OLED(cause budget) are out of equation.

3. What will the TV/monitor be used for primarily?
Everything ranging from gaming to using office to web browsing to moderate content creation.

4. Types and number of ports required?
HDMI is a requirement, won't complain if a VGA is thrown into mix.

5. Preferred choice of brand?
None , but won't buy from a unreliable brand

6. Any TV/monitor in consideration?
Amazon.in: Buy HP 22 inch(54.61 cm) Ultra-Slim Anti Glare Full HD LED Monitor - 3 Side Micro Bezel, IPS Panel with VGA, HDMI Ports - HP 22m Display - 3WL45AA (Black) Online at Low Prices in India | HP Reviews & Ratings - but price is high.

7. Any other info that you want to share.
i. Freesync at this budget? I don't think so :(
ii. Please don't suggest any weird aspect ratios and the monitor should have a resolution of more than 1366*768.

Amazon.in: Buy Acer Aopen 21.5 inch Full HD 1920 X 1080 Resolution Backlit LED LCD Monitor - 200nits Brightness -HDMI and VGA Port - 22CH1Q Online at Low Prices in India | Acer Reviews & Ratings

Might be the only option near 5k with 1080p panel. It is obviously a bad TN monitor, but you can't expect more.

For something good, you have to spend 8k:
*www.amazon.in/BenQ-Borderless-Brig.../B07LDH32ZP/ref=psdc_1375425031_t2_B07NX9CGTW

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

Amazon.in: Buy Acer Aopen 21.5 inch Full HD 1920 X 1080 Resolution Backlit LED LCD Monitor - 200nits Brightness -HDMI and VGA Port - 22CH1Q Online at Low Prices in India | Acer Reviews & Ratings

Might be the only option near 5k with 1080p panel. It is obviously a bad TN monitor, but you can't expect more.

Robot Check
Ohk, so ideally I should instead wait sometime to increase my budget to get the most bang for my buck.................

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
*www.amazon.in/BenQ-Borderless-Brig.../B07LDH32ZP/ref=psdc_1375425031_t2_B07NX9CGTW

I am currently using big brother of this monitor: *www.amazon.in/BenQ-inch-Bezel-Monitor-Built/dp/B073NTCT4R
It's good. But yes, I bought it for Rs 11699 (after bank discount).

So, yes "increasing budget to get the most bang for buck" holds true for everything in the tech world.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

I am currently using big brother of this monitor: *www.amazon.in/BenQ-inch-Bezel-Monitor-Built/dp/B073NTCT4R
It's good. But yes, I bought it for Rs 11699 (after bank discount).

So, yes "increasing budget to get the most bang for buck" holds true for everything in the tech world.
Now I am more confused than I have ever been. I mean yeah , technically increasing budget always brings you more , but there is a certain limit for everything, like 3k mic is enough, a 4k writing pad (remember that post?) is enough , a controller for 1k, a headphone for 4k, a pc for 27k, mouse for 200rs, gaming mouse for 3k , lappy for 40k , usb cable for 100-200rs , hdmi cable for 600rs etc etc, graphics card for 13-16k etc. etc. Like I mean if you go below that budget , you are basically buying garbage and increasing e-waste, and later you will regret that buying decision.

I wanna find that limit for a monitor.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now I am more confused than I have ever been. I mean yeah , technically increasing budget always brings you more , but there is a certain limit for everything, like 3k mic is enough, a 4k writing pad (remember that post?) is enough , a controller for 1k, a headphone for 4k, a pc for 27k, mouse for 200rs, gaming mouse for 3k , lappy for 40k , usb cable for 100-200rs , hdmi cable for 600rs etc etc, graphics card for 13-16k etc. etc. Like I mean if you go below that budget , you are basically buying garbage and increasing e-waste, and later you will regret that buying decision.

There is no such thing as absolute upper limit of price when it comes to pc components. You can't even build a pc nowadays with 27k assuming you are not reusing any component. A 40k laptop is reasonable enough if you do only typical tasks & even then this price is for usual pre-corona situation as now laptops & mobiles are much costlier. A 16k graphics card won't suffice if you want to play latest games at high settings. For a monitor I can tell you that buying anything less than a 22" IPS panel is simply wasting money unless you simply don't care about monitor picture quality at all.

I'd say 8-11k for a 22-24" IPS 1080p monitor for most value for money. But VFM is a relative term. For many that cheap TN is sufficient. For me, it was a 14.5k 1080p 144Hz IPS monitor.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

There is no such thing as absolute upper limit of price when it comes to pc components. You can't even build a pc nowadays with 27k assuming you are not reusing any component. A 40k laptop is reasonable enough if you do only typical tasks & even then this price is for usual pre-corona situation as now laptops & mobiles are much costlier. A 16k graphics card won't suffice if you want to play latest games at high settings. For a monitor I can tell you that buying anything less than a 22" IPS panel is simply wasting money unless you simply don't care about monitor picture quality at all.
No, I meant here that buying below it would be waste of money, like gt710 is a waste of money (for 16k you used to get rx590, but I realise that is a precorona thing) , those cheap 100rs mics(generic ones) are waste of money. For pc I assumed reusing all components except the Mobo, cpu and the likes. TBH those 10k notebooks (which due to corona are out of stock) are absolute waste of money. See what I am getting at here? Yes, you can get much better price/performance ratio in 10k headphones but 4.5k would suffice, other than that you can absolutely use a 400rs earphone and not waste your money on 1k, 2k exxxtra bass headphones u see poping up all the time.

OP
Æsoteric Positron

Æsoteric Positron

I'd say 8-11k for a 22-24" IPS 1080p monitor for most value for money. But VFM is a relative term. For many that cheap TN is sufficient. For me, it was a 14.5k 1080p 144Hz IPS monitor.
Oh, I see. But sometimes that jargon can really mislead. I mean there would be good TN panels and bad IPS panels right? Also there is sometimes a term that you do not know the importance of , like I didn't knew the importance of sensor quality in mouse, and got a cheap gaming mouse thinking it would be good enough for my gaming needs(I ain't no pro). Tracking issues I suffered from.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
No, I meant here that buying below it would be waste of money, like gt710 is a waste of money (for 16k you used to get rx590, but I realise that is a precorona thing) , those cheap 100rs mics(generic ones) are waste of money. For pc I assumed reusing all components except the Mobo, cpu and the likes. TBH those 10k notebooks (which due to corona are out of stock) are absolute waste of money. See what I am getting at here? Yes, you can get much better price/performance ratio in 10k headphones but 4.5k would suffice, other than that you can absolutely use a 400rs earphone and not waste your money on 1k, 2k exxxtra bass headphones u see poping up all the time.
Yes I understood but what I meant to say is that just like an absolute lower limit there is no absolute upper limit. I don't know about you but I would never use or buy a Rs.400 earphone & in my opinion 1k earphone is min for those who care about sound quality.

Oh, I see. But sometimes that jargon can really mislead. I mean there would be good TN panels and bad IPS panels right? Also there is sometimes a term that you do not know the importance of , like I didn't knew the importance of sensor quality in mouse, and got a cheap gaming mouse thinking it would be good enough for my gaming needs(I ain't no pro). Tracking issues I suffered from.
Good TN panels are rare and can only be better than an average IPS, not those 100% sRGB IPS (which even that 8k IPS has apparently, the BenQ one). TN just has bad colours & contrast. But TN has fastest response times, so competitive gamers do go for those, like 240/300Hz monitors sacrificing image quality. For most people, IPS & VA are better choices.

Top Bottom