Cheap Laptops Bad for Vista, Good for Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

CadCrazy

in search of myself
The good news for everyone is that you can get a good, solid laptop for under a grand these days. The bad news for Vista users is that many of those laptops, even though they're sold with Vista, have nothing like enough resources to run Vista decently. This year, from everything I've seen, has lived up to the Merrill Lynch prediction that 2007 would be the year that notebooks overtook desktops to become the bigger revenue generator for PC makers. For some companies, like Hewlett-Packard, laptops have become the single most important revenue source.

There are a couple of reasons for this and they're closely tied together. First, a PC vendor can make more profit on an under-$1,000 laptop than it would on a PC at the same price. At the same time, with Wi-Fi being available essentially everywhere and laptop prices falling below the magic $1,000 mark, more and more customers, both consumer and business, are turning to laptops.
There's only one little problem with this if your company name is Microsoft. Those under-$1,000 laptops can't run Vista worth a darn. In addition, Vista has become a bigger and bigger part of a laptop's cost. So, if you're a PC vendor, you could either upgrade your hardware—and there goes your sweet price point; put Vista Home Basic on the system—which even Vista lovers admit is trash; or continue to sell Windows XP and give adventurous customers a Linux option.
What's happened is that people aren't upgrading their basic laptops. Computer price margins are razor-thin. If people want top-of-the-line laptop, vendors are happy to provide them at an appropriate price point. But Dell, HP, Acer, et al. know darn well that they sell more of their cheaper systems than premium ones................................

More Here

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
lol wista is not crap.It is most powerful. It can make any hardware crapel (oops crawl)

can someone do something other than vista bashing? Kutch naya socho yaar, ye tho sab jante hai ki vista mein bahut kami hai...

anyway, I really think even dell can make lots of profit by ditching vista and softwares that one has to compulsarily buy with a customised dell PC/LT.
that can help them sell a below RS 20,000 LCD monitor decent HDD/RAM/graphics PC. all like the teen numbers.

praka123

left this forum longback
^think about M$ using its power to make OEM's to bundle Vista in their machines esp Dell,HP and others cant afford earning M$'s ill will.So they are forced by the worlds biggest monopoly OS company.reality that is.users who are addicted to win platform asks for XP and M$&H/w manufacturers forces Vista on to them..pathetic.atleast bundle Ubuntu as dual boot with Vista.it will save users time and allows formatting of Vista! too :D

goobimama

 Macboy
Is it true that many people are finding that Linux doesn't perform well on high end machines (especially core 2 duo)? I asked my friend why he switched out of linux. He said that it's all over the net, that Linux is meant for POS systems and since he upgraded to Core 2 Duo, Linux doesn't run well. I trust praka will give me the right answer (at least by PM).

(I know this sounds like a usual Linux myth, but I need some assurance)

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
That article isn't speaking the truth properly !!!!! :x

Well, I recently bought an el-cheapo laptop Acer 5100 for $452 for my brother in India who wants the laptop to serve his studies... well the laptop came bundled with vista and when I installed it it was a bit slow (I was comparing it with my ultra-fast new desktop which I also got for myself to play Crysis)...:D

After some tweaking, Vista is running with all its effects enabled albeit at a low rating of 2.8 (due to ATi 1100)....AND to mention it is running super smooth with all its perks...BUT the fact is it needed some tweaking.. thtz all... !!!

Config: SEE FOR YOURSELF

*img150.imageshack.us/img150/2600/imag0001ww4.th.jpg *img144.imageshack.us/img144/4453/tempih2.th.jpg

Last edited:

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I recently bought a HP lappy which came with preinstalled with Vista. I have to say the performance of the lappy is very low on vista. But when I used Sabayon 64bit live on that .. there performance difference was noticable.

I had asked my vendor if I can have a option of not having Vista as the OS, but they said its not possible. :|

NucleusKore

TheSaint
The point is when you buy a cheap laptop for Rs 22000-25000 (show me one that comes with windows at that price), you spend another Rs. 8000 for a plain OS and another Rs. 18000 for MS Office, is that all, no, antivirus and firewall Rs. 1500-4000, and this is the minimum. Unless ahem..... you install pirated stuff

And Rockthegod, I think that laptop costs Rs. 30000-35000 in India. Ddi you buy it from the U.S.

Last edited:

rockthegod

Dark Overlord !!!
NucleusKore said:
The point is when you buy a cheap laptop for Rs 22000-25000 (show me one that comes with windows at that price), you spend another Rs. 8000 for a plain OS and another Rs. 18000 for MS Office, is that all, no, antivirus and firewall Rs. 1500-4000, and this is the minimum. Unless ahem..... you install pirated stuff

And Rockthegod, I think that laptop costs Rs. 30000-35000 in India. Ddi you buy it from the U.S.

It came bundled with Windows Vista Home Premium. Yes, I mentioned it earlier, I am sending this home to my brother who needs it for studies.... !!! :)

aditya.shevade

Console Junkie
MetalheadGautham said:
can someone do something other than vista bashing? Kutch naya socho yaar, ye tho sab jante hai ki vista mein bahut kami hai...

anyway, I really think even dell can make lots of profit by ditching vista and softwares that one has to compulsarily buy with a customised dell PC/LT.
that can help them sell a below RS 20,000 LCD monitor decent HDD/RAM/graphics PC. all like the teen numbers.

DELL laps come with Ubuntu also. They have moved away from vista a bit.

praka123

left this forum longback
atleast laptops with Vista force-installed :-| on it bundle Ubuntu too as dual boot.so that the Vista user can have some relief.

Yamaraj

The Lord of Death
goobimama said:
Is it true that many people are finding that Linux doesn't perform well on high end machines (especially core 2 duo)? I asked my friend why he switched out of linux. He said that it's all over the net, that Linux is meant for POS systems and since he upgraded to Core 2 Duo, Linux doesn't run well. I trust praka will give me the right answer (at least by PM).

Never knew >76% of top supercomputers were POS systems.
Your friend is an idiot!

OP
CadCrazy

CadCrazy

in search of myself
goobimama said:

Not @ all true. Mine is Core 2 Duo E6600 and i say its working like ferrari with UBUNTU 7.10.

praka123

left this forum longback
well,i missed goobi's post somehow :p.I mean someone shows what all options are inside linux kernel source for optimization and support for core2 or quad whatever.ask ur friend to use latest kernel always.Almost all high end machines are better supported in Linux.and if that doesnt suffice most of the super computers are running on Linux.does that a mean reply for U? :)
@yamaraj:u said it better :D

QwertyManiac

Commander in Chief
goobimama said:

Does your friend own a Mac by any chance? :p

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
goobimama said:

It is kind of true. Some newer chipsets come with these new technologies :rolleyes: which may not be supported on older kernels.
This problem had specifically surfaced for Intel's 101GGC and 102GGC boards then the 965 chipset. But, it was a temporary situation. The very next kernel release after the launch of those boards(I believe that was 2.6.18 in case of 965 board) fixed up all the anamolies.
The problem didn't lie with the processor but with the motherboard since the the drivers weren't present in the older kernel. But, more often then not it would still work with a bit of tweaking around.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom