Chat Clients : A mini shootout

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
On request from Ricky, i am doing a small shootout of chat clients in linux/unix environment. However this list is about the clients that i have used.

Chat Clients : A mini shootout

1) Unix Talk
This one is the most basic chat program available for all the unix geeks since ages. First developed by AT&T and introduced with in 70's with version 1 of AT&T UNIX, the Unix Talk program became a rage among the techies of that age. It is still used very widely. I myself am accessible on talk anytime during the day.
Guys you should use this atleast once. You'll fall in love instantly!!!

Clients:
$ talk
$ write , $ wall

2) IRC
Perhaps IRC is the most widely used chat program in the world. First developed and introduced in early 90's, IRC opened the gates of internet to non-geek people. Someone asked me a while back that, "Where do you live anurag ?" ................. and i said: "freenode.net"

Clients i use:Gaim, Kopete

3) Jabber
Jabber is a free instant messaging platform which is distributed in nature and can be setup be any organization unlike the highly centralised nature of other networks like MSN/ICQ/Yahoo!... FSF-India server has jabber server installed where i normally have to hang around.

Clients i use: Kopete (very nice client !!!!!)

4) Yahoo, MSN, ICQ
Do i have to say anything about these? Despite these being proprietary technologies, i still have to use these networks to keep in touch with my friends who dont prefer irc.

Clients i use: aMSN, ymessenger(for linux)

ps: this is a list of programs that i have used and prefer. and in no way is this list complete. If you have any favourite client then please share it with us!

klinux

Ambassador of Buzz
since its a shootout , u could tell us from ur experience if all the prog from windows , eg yahoo,msn , have all the features like webcam , voice , archives , avatars in linux version too . plus whats the future of IMs in linux , are there secured IMs with encryption ? what abt mobile to IM ?

i know its a lot of questions , if answered , i hope it helps ricky's project

alib_i

Cyborg Agent
isnt there something like 'netsend' in linux ..
one guy i knew was trying to work on it !!

OP
GNUrag

GNUrag

FooBar Guy
alib_i said:
I wrote there about the Unix talk program... its much much better than netsend. With talk, two way chat is possible...

@klinux, why dont you guys write about it ?

firewall

In the zone
GNUrag said:
... Unix talk program... its much much better than netsend. With talk, two way chat is possible...

True. i can remember the old days, well few years back actually ;) in college 'talk' was the most frequently used tool by us for chatting locally over telnet :)

Its amazing over the networks for chatting....

:)

BONZI

Journeyman
I use ymessenger, Xchat and kopete. Kopete as gnu said is gr8 and has some eyecandy. With Xchat you will never miss mirc (but still no invision :( ). Ymessenger well you know it :)

ravemz

Broken In
alib_i said:
one guy i knew was trying to work on it !!

check this out , and rave ur reviews.

*sourceforge.net/projects/gladenetsend

desertwind

Cyborg Agent
klinux said:
since its a shootout , u could tell us from ur experience if all the prog from windows , eg yahoo,msn , have all the features like webcam , voice , archives , avatars in linux version too . plus whats the future of IMs in linux , are there secured IMs with encryption ? what abt mobile to IM ?

i know its a lot of questions , if answered , i hope it helps ricky's project

for the time being, amsn and ymessenger do not support webcam/voice. well, both supports archives. amsn do support avatars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom